Locale: Montana
Fast and Light Winter Travel on 03/15/2011 14:00:18 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Fast and Light Winter Travel

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Fast and Light Winter Travel on 03/15/2011 14:18:51 MDT Print View

Nice article with great scenery for this desert dweller - would like to savor the scenery instead of race through it however.

ADD: Is there's a comfortable (yet lightweight) solution to sleeping bag condensation on multi-day cold weather trips?

Edited by hknewman on 03/15/2011 14:28:04 MDT.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Nice! on 03/15/2011 14:44:44 MDT Print View

Well done Luc, super insightful and inspiring. FYI (for those that haven't done it), racing often means you see things better than you ever thought possible. Fast =/= hasty.

Edit police:

"pruskes"

pretty sure the ski weight and binding weight are both twice what they should be.

Edit:
Watch the video!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuxAAaFwciQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Edited by DaveC on 03/15/2011 15:50:30 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Fast and Light Winter Travel on 03/15/2011 15:58:43 MDT Print View

> Is there's a comfortable (yet lightweight) solution to sleeping bag condensation on
> multi-day cold weather trips?
Sort of ...
UL quilts for each person and a light outer quilt over the lot. The inner layers stay dry, but the top outer layer can get damp.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Fast and Light Winter Travel on 03/15/2011 16:02:11 MDT Print View

Doesn't the outer quilt need to be synthetic for this dampness?

--B.G.--

Luc Mehl
(lucmehl) - F
Re: Fast and Light Winter Travel on 03/15/2011 17:10:06 MDT Print View

Clear winter days work very well to dry out damp gear- I just strap stuff onto the outside of the pack. That said, you are kind of hosed if the skies aren't clear...

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
synth on 03/15/2011 17:46:47 MDT Print View

"Doesn't the outer quilt need to be synthetic for this dampness?"

yup yup yup ...

or better yet use yr synth belay jacket ...

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Fast and Light... on 03/15/2011 19:10:46 MDT Print View

Fascinating report! Personally, I would have brought an extra pair of boot liners, so I could dry one inside my clothes while skiing with the other pair, but I am certainly no expert. I would also have brought a sleeping bag with a water-resistant shell. That front pouch is interesting: what pack worked best, or did sewing the front of a shirt into a pouch work best?

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Fast and Light... on 03/15/2011 23:26:22 MDT Print View

Re: “My biggest breakthrough was realizing that I can stay warm by moving, and that I can move all day and night if needed.” Even with a broken leg? Even in dense fog? Even after you’ve been mauled by a grizzly? (after hibernation is over). Even in a zero-visibility blizzard with 100 mph winds, 50-below temperatures, and snow that is falling inches per hour?

Edited by RobertM2S on 03/15/2011 23:39:13 MDT.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
FANtastic report. on 03/16/2011 10:47:42 MDT Print View

just Awsome !
WhooWAAA ! and great pictures.
if i was not a fat, old, out of shape, sissy, i'd be right in there ... spectating.
--
i have printed your list, and i can't wait to tear into my gear matrix. right after i finish my coffee..
--
query:
what's the benny from a stiff sled and not the slightly flexible type from silgen/northern sled/fairbanks ?
---
thank you for sharing wisdom hard won.

peter v.

Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Changes on 03/16/2011 11:26:41 MDT Print View

Hi all!
Luc confirmed that the weights for his skis and bindings were double what they should have been. The spreadsheet and totals have been corrected - those who have printed the gear list may want to reprint!

Luc also reminded me that he'd submitted a video with the rest of his article. I embedded it.

Thanks all! This was a pleasure to read. From my kitchen table. With a homemade latte. ;)
Addie

Luc Mehl
(lucmehl) - F
Re: Fast and Light... on 03/16/2011 23:17:47 MDT Print View

Robert-- I'm still trying to get the stomach pouch figured out. A backpack was nice except that the shoulder straps were irritating. My strategy this year is a two-ply basketball jersey from the thrift store- cutting/sewing a pouch between the two layers in the front, removing extra fabric from the back.

Regarding not being able to move with a broken leg, etc.: Yes, that would not fit our strategy very well. I expect that one partner would stay with me, heat water, share parka and sleeping bags, etc., while the other 'Independent Nation' would coordinate help/rescue.

-Luc

Luc Mehl
(lucmehl) - F
Re: FANtastic report. on 03/16/2011 23:20:01 MDT Print View

Hi Peter- We don't use sleds because they significantly slow the pace on mixed terrain. There are some pictures of sleds from Ed Plumb's team, but as you can see, they were on their backs most of the time. I might feel differently if the pack was 60+ pounds, but at our weights there is no need.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Fast and Light Winter Travel on 03/17/2011 02:59:12 MDT Print View

> Doesn't the outer quilt need to be synthetic for this dampness?

Well, ours is very fine 800 loft down. I think the down does dry out a bit in the evening while we are active and cooking. But we don't sleep 'hot' so we don't sweat much at night.
Works very well for us.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Fast and Light Winter Travel on 03/17/2011 08:04:52 MDT Print View

As the old saying goes:

"You don't sweat much for a fat girl."

--B.G.--

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Fast and Light Winter Travel on 03/17/2011 08:24:56 MDT Print View

This is the kind of article I read BPL for. Finding the edge of your abilities and gear, pushing that edge just a bit and coming home safe to tell the world (and particularly your parental financial backers) about it all.

I would personally welcome more trip and gear related articles from AMWC participants (both winter and summer). Not everyone is a racer but the techniques and skills required to attempt and succeed at these events are so valuable when applied to leisure backpacking and skiing.

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Stomach pouch on 03/17/2011 19:08:14 MDT Print View

Re: "Robert-- I'm still trying to get the stomach pouch figured out. A backpack was nice except that the shoulder straps were irritating. My strategy this year is a two-ply basketball jersey..." I just ordered a baby carrier from "diaper.com" to see if I can rig a similar system. The one I ordered fits women up to 6 feet, 5 inches, with a 48-inch waist (a female Shaq?) They also have slings with no straps.

Marco A. Sánchez
(marcoasn) - M

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees
Ski gear on 03/18/2011 08:57:53 MDT Print View

For those interested in the ski gear, David Chenault Ski gear for backcountry traverses blog post is worth reading.

Cheers

Roman Dial
(romandial) - F - M

Locale: packrafting NZ
Awesome story -- would come here more often for these! on 03/18/2011 12:09:44 MDT Print View

Sam has it right. You don't need to be a racer for valuable take-home-messages.

Awesome story and actually a great event, much less punishing than the summer race. Does demand a slightly enlarged skill set however.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Re: Re: Fast and Light Winter Travel on 03/18/2011 15:11:46 MDT Print View

I find that with my two pound 15* sleeping bag, I start to get cold between 25 and 30* at night, (I'm a cold sleeper).
On my hikes when the temperature will drop bellow 25, I'll take along my homemade quilt that has 9 ounces of down and weighs 15 ounces.
With that added quilt, it fills every little gap and air pocket in the bag and helps bring the top-loft up significantly.
I can easily stay warm down to 5* with the combination of the two.

I nice light synthetic bag would definitely be the best addition to a 20* bag in this case.