Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trip Help, Nevada City April 28th - May 15th

Display Avatars Sort By:
Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Locale: New England
Trip Help, Nevada City April 28th - May 15th on 03/15/2011 14:00:09 MDT Print View

My Girl Friend is attending a conference out in Nevada City for the first two weeks of May. Im going along as I have never been out west and plan on doing a bit of exploring during the day while she is busy. Also we are checking out Yosemite and the Sequoias on the weekend!

We were looking to camp to save money rather then get a hotel every night. As this trip is already making a big dent.

I have a few questions

What is the weather going to be like at that time of year. Is camping at lower elevations plausible(instead of a hotel)?

Does anyone have campgrounds they would recommend nearby? Right now we are looking at Scott's Flat Road Campground ($25 a night) Is there any stealth camping spots people know of?

Does any one have any day hikes nearby they would recommend? I see loads of trails but I cant tell which ones are any good and which ones will be accessible (weather)

What is the condition of Lake Tahoe Trail that time of year? Is it hikable, do you need snow shoes? (I was thinking of doing a 2-3 nighter during the week)

Any input would be greatly appreciated! (weather conditions in particular)

Ironically the ADZPCTKO is that weekend we are flying out to CA, jokingly I have talked about just starting to walk and see what happens, but it is not in the cards this year, 2012!