DYI water filter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt DeWitt
(tritan) - F

Locale: Midwest
DYI water filter on 03/12/2011 18:47:29 MST Print View

I have seen alot of talk on the Amigo gravity filters. Some are using sawyer inline some are not. I have am looking for directions on how to make one of these filters step by step. Where to get the parts , tubing , connectors, bags etc. Anybody point me to a link? searching google I couldn't find anything and search on this site didn't pop anything either under water filter.

thanks.

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
DIY filters on 03/12/2011 19:55:23 MST Print View

Here's a link to JustJeff's website. He's one of the moderators over on HammockForums and his site really is a great resource... even for non-hammockers. Scroll down a bit and look under 'Other Gear'

JustJeff's MYOG page

Personally, I use an MYO-filter similar to THIS

Good luck!

Edited by cwayman1 on 03/12/2011 19:58:44 MST.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE Found it! on 03/12/2011 22:27:17 MST Print View

Try here I made the exact same one and I love it. I would recommend using the camel back quick disconnect and valve shut off, you can get them on line or almost any sporting store, or bike shop. Hope this is what you are looking for, any questions just post it here, pm's don't work.

Edited by jumpbackjack on 03/12/2011 22:28:31 MST.

Joshua Kronberg
(Stitch10) - F
Re: DIY water filter on 03/14/2011 07:22:54 MDT Print View

"Personally, I use an MYO-filter similar to THIS"

I have seen that youtube about using the 1 micron desil fuel filter to make your own water filter. Since it was mentioned here I was wondering if anyone knows if the manufacturing of those are consistent enough to ensure that there are no gaps in the filter larger than the stated 1 micron and if use would damage the product resulting in a larger than 1 micron filtration. I would love to adopt this style filter and never look back. It seems even easier than chemical treatment!

For what it is worth I have been using a Sawyer inline water filter for over a year now and it is very easy. I just attatch it to a Platypus hose and drink straight from the 3L water bladder or even a 2L soda bottle. The flow can get pretty bad but it beats most other filtration methods in my opinion (I hate pumping with a passion).

Edited by Stitch10 on 03/14/2011 07:24:12 MDT.