Forum Index » GEAR » The Kettle is coming !

Display Avatars Sort By:
Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: spout for BCB on 03/23/2011 06:53:58 MDT Print View

Just a note before everyone starts cutting up their stoppers - Amazon (and just about the entire rest of the world) is out of stock of the stoppers in this size. The company that makes them actually had to produce more for my order, and I don't have many extras. So I would recommend finding the stock of backups before hacking away. :)

Sam - unfortunately, non-members of HF can't access the gear forum there. :(

Sam Duckworth
(SamD) - F
HF on 03/23/2011 07:05:46 MDT Print View

Guess I got lucky with my order of stoppers, they are in route to me.

As for no access, I suggest that folks join there too as the intrests inter link really well.

And Devin you done good with the BCB.

Edited by SamD on 03/23/2011 07:06:59 MDT.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: HF on 03/23/2011 08:09:01 MDT Print View

Thanks, Sam. :)

So these are Versilic 27Ds? I would just check to make sure that they've actually been sent - there were three companies that took my order, only to send me something days later saying that they were out of stock. Many of them don't actually have the stoppers themselves, but ship directly from distributors.

If the place does have them, I'd love it if you could share the source here. I only have a few extras and would rather keep those in case someone loses theirs.

Sam Duckworth
(SamD) - F
Stoppers on 03/23/2011 12:07:44 MDT Print View

Ordered mine through Amazon.com the fedex tracking says they have left Chicago on the 22nd. They are still listed as in stock as of a few minutes ago.

"FDA-Approved High-Purity Solid Stoppers, Silicone
Qty/pk: 10
Standard size number: 4
European size number: 27D
Bottom OD: 21 mm
Color: Translucent
Material: Silicone
Height: 30 mm
Top OD: 27 mm
Manufacturer number: D1069813
Model: D1069813
Part Number: AO-62994-18
Package Quantity: PACKAGE of 10"

Sold by: Cole-Parmer

Edited by SamD on 03/23/2011 12:14:53 MDT.

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
boiler arrived today on 03/23/2011 14:13:36 MDT Print View

drinking first tea atm :)

edit. 089. btw :)

Edited by Fre49 on 03/26/2011 13:09:24 MDT.

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Wine Pouring Spout on 03/23/2011 14:18:53 MDT Print View

Depending upon the diameter of the hole, it seems to me that you could easily modify a wine pouring spout, a liquor spout, or a spout for oil/vinegar to act as a pretty effective and accurate spout. Obviously the concern is its ability to withstand heat and boiling water, but I am sure that you could make something simple to work that won't add much if any weight.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Kettle impressions on 03/23/2011 15:59:00 MDT Print View

FYI I tried a cork from a wine bottle and it works fine. Just cut the top off a little .
Ive been playing around getting a feel for how much fuel to use and trying different methods of loading the wood. Im really happy with it. Its so practical and easy to use. Not surprising since its an update of a tried and true design. I plan on going mainly with cold food using this for hot drinks. I really like how clean it is to use and store. I just give it a quick scrub inside with a tuft of grass or something and its good to go.
My general method so far.
-grab a dead branch or two and break into separate piles fine and coarse kindling and main fuel. main fuel is about pencil thick, fine is dead grass or real thin branches and or branch tips. Coarse is some where in between.
-lay down some fine kindling and put some main/coarse fuel on top.
-nest the boiler on top and push some more fine kindling into the top chimney opening, leaving the stopper in the hole to keep out debris.
- maybe add a little more coarse kindling on top of that -but make sure all the wood inside the chimney is loose and air can still circulate.
-remove the stopper, light a match on the bottom to catch the kindling that will in turn light the main feul.
-sit back and feed with left over main/coarse wood keeping a little flame shooting out the top.
-when it boils use left over water to douse wood/ash in pan and the ground the boiler was on, make sure ash/wood is like mud and cool to the touch.
-enjoy.
Im happy with how little wood is needed with this stove. This is real minimal impact.

Edited by MAYNARD76 on 03/23/2011 16:07:08 MDT.

. Callahan
(AeroNautiCal)

Locale: Stoke Newington, London, UK.
Awaiting wizardry! (o: on 03/23/2011 17:40:30 MDT Print View

I reckon that Devin will wizard up a brilliant, retrofit spout which we can buy as an aftermarket accessory.

Thereafter, numerous posts will appear from members that shaved a gnat's whisker off to lighten it even more! (o:

Eric Marcano
(ericm) - M

Locale: Southcentral Texas
#130 arrives in San Antonio! on 03/23/2011 18:39:40 MDT Print View

I've been lurking, learning and listening on this site for what I swear has been nearly a decade. Current base weight is 11.24lbs after having SUL at 4.89lbs and re-added much desired luxuries over a few years.

But so what. Pfff! I say! Few things (the eVent Packa, for instance) have brought me as much creepy/cultish excitement as what I experienced this week eagerly watching the USPS updates on the transit of my #130 Backcountry Boiler. And as of 5:35pm CST today, I am complete. At least until the next idea comes along in this forum. :)

Mind you, the BB represents much more than an ingeniously simple device for boiling water. It is the perfect example of desire, will, hard work, trial-and-error, supply/demand, etc. It's the iPod, the iPad, the Facebook and the microwave oven phenomena of UL backpacking. It, along with all the other great ideas great folks out there in our world devise,....it is America.

Ok, so that was cheesy, but you all get my point.

Jim Pfeiffenberger
(akpfeiff) - F
Boiler on 03/24/2011 12:49:36 MDT Print View

My father in law brought me a very similar device from New Zealand many years ago--the design was nearly identical, but I think it was steel rather than aluminum. Oh, I think it actually had a spout built into like like an old-fashioned coffee kettle. I rarely used it since it was so big and ended up tossing it...kinda wish I still had it now. Anyway, the Boiler looks like a fine-tuned modern version of the NZ kettle I once had... might have to think about getting one.

Edited by akpfeiff on 03/24/2011 13:02:40 MDT.

Sam Duckworth
(SamD) - F
Stoppers on 03/24/2011 14:52:05 MDT Print View

The stoppers are here and they are identical to the original for the BCB.

Rob Bouchard
(MrZsasz) - M
Damn post office on 03/26/2011 11:40:52 MDT Print View

I tried not to look through this thread to make the waiting worse but I did. And I can't believe folks in Europe and Japan have received theirs before I did in Canada. Damn post office. I have 14 parcels waiting for me and not one was the Boiler. What a tease...ha

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Grrr. on 03/26/2011 13:39:43 MDT Print View

Stop posting photos! :)

I'm sitting here in Scotland still waiting and cursing shipping!

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
Scotland on 03/26/2011 13:56:46 MDT Print View

Mike seems it was faster for France.
Dont worry there will be one arriving in Scotland.............. in may 2012 if i am admited in 2012 TGO :)

j/k. good luck recieving it fast
it must be frustrating waiting.

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
Un-official Burn down on 03/26/2011 15:02:05 MDT Print View

Any of the Kettle owners have any video of the loading process and boiling videos to add to the "non scientific comparison for fun" thread?

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Finland on 03/27/2011 02:48:27 MDT Print View

Still nothing in Finland :/

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Finland on 03/27/2011 02:48:27 MDT Print View

Still no BCB in Finland :/ Damn you, Posti!

Grunde Lovoll
(grunde) - F
First in Norway on 03/27/2011 07:17:20 MDT Print View

Got my kettle the other day, the first one to arrive i Norway? Great stuff!Backcountry Boiler and old faithful Kelly

Erkki Nieminen
(OD_blank) - F

Locale: Tampere
Finland is BOILING on 03/30/2011 13:21:05 MDT Print View

I got my boiler today. After thorough washing first boilerful of water was thrown away steaming and after that the first boil... Hot coffee was delicious.

Stainless steel Kelly kettle (1,5 litres) vs Backcountry Boiler (0,5 litres)

Stainless steel Kelly kettle (1,5 litres) vs Backcountry Boiler (0,5 litres)

Edited by OD_blank on 03/31/2011 01:05:43 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
The boiler is here! on 04/02/2011 21:19:52 MDT Print View

The box containing the boiler (N 4) has just arrived (on a Sunday!)
The boiler is absolutely gorgeous. I am impressed.
Now I need to optimise it for the Southern hemisphere and then I will fire it up.
BB
Franco