Oil and Gas bidder Tim deChristopher found guilty
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Oil and Gas bidder Tim deChristopher found guilty on 03/12/2011 04:09:24 MST Print View

There was a thread on here last year about a guy who snuck into an oil and gas land auction and bagged $1.8m of land without a cent in his pocket. An appeal raised the money pretty quick, I stuck in a few dollars myself, but the Judge in the case has decided that although he got the cash together within the time limit, he wasn't a bona fide bidder at the time of the auction, so he should face up to ten years in prison.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/03/07/34702.htm

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
"Just another frog in the judicial pot" on 03/12/2011 07:42:05 MST Print View

Ouch! Quite the uncomfortable analogy. My best wishes go out to him and I really hope that his defence council is the best. Bidding at the auction was brilliant at delaying and drawing attention to the process but good luck at standing in the way of federal courts.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: "Just another frog in the judicial pot" on 03/12/2011 11:28:00 MST Print View

Judge Christensen:
“Mr. DeChristopher had several reasonable and lawful alternatives by which he could have expressed his objections to the sale of these oil and gas leases.”

Translation:
“We don’t mind you protesting just so long as you don’t protest in such a way that might actually change anything.”

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Oil and Gas bidder Tim deChristopher found guilty on 03/12/2011 11:43:08 MST Print View

I'm thinking you have to be a registered bidder at the time of the auction, with a certified check or letter of credit. I'm pretty surprised they would press charges though.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Oil and Gas bidder Tim deChristopher found guilty on 03/12/2011 11:49:59 MST Print View

Punishing someone for entering into a contract without the means to fulfill it? Kinda like punishing someone for writing a blank check. Justice is served.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: Oil and Gas bidder Tim deChristopher found guilty on 03/12/2011 12:46:46 MST Print View

He found the means to fulfill it within the time limit I think.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime if he gets more than 6 months IMO. Especially considering Obama nixed most of the deals anyway.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Re: Oil and Gas bidder Tim deChristopher found guilty on 03/12/2011 13:08:52 MST Print View

Yeah, 10 years would definitely be excessive. I agree that something up to 6 months is good.