Locale: So Cal
Japan Earthquake on 03/11/2011 10:40:28 MST Print View

8.9 quake. Wow!!

I hope our Japanese readers are all OK?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Japan Earthquake on 03/11/2011 10:51:18 MST Print View

Some astonishing video of the tsunami on CNN. Water passing over farm land at an astounding rate carrying ships, cars, and burning debri.

The reminants of the Tsunami hit Maui early this morning.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re : Tsunami on 03/11/2011 11:25:43 MST Print View

Lots of scary footage here in the UK. Possibly thousands dead. The Japanese Prime Minister is now announcing an emergency at their coastal nuclear power stations. :(

Fingers crossed.

Edited by MikefaeDundee on 03/11/2011 11:46:43 MST.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Re : Tsunami on 03/11/2011 11:53:58 MST Print View

Japanese authorities have just announced that they are releasing 'radioactive vapour' from one of their plants as a 'safety measure'.
Sound like BS to me. :(

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Japan Earthquake -- Miguel, You OK? on 03/11/2011 12:00:08 MST Print View

Hey, Miguel, You OK?

(that's the one person whose name I remember off the top of my head)

Hope all BPL'ers are OK.

HJ

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Japan Earthquake -- Miguel, You OK? on 03/11/2011 12:02:34 MST Print View

Miguel posted this up earlier:

So far all the UL walkers I know are okay. Facebook and Twitter have been a godsend. It's 9 hours and STILL shaking.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Re:Tsunami on 03/11/2011 12:06:48 MST Print View

UK news reporting that the cooling system on a nuclear reactor has failed. Thousands evacuated.
Praying that this doesn't get even worse.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Japan Earthquake on 03/11/2011 13:20:35 MST Print View

Thoughts and prayers for all there!

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Re: Japan Earthquake on 03/11/2011 13:46:54 MST Print View

Miguel responded to the Christchurch thread - he is OK.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Reactor radiation level at Fukushima-Daiichi on 03/11/2011 15:05:27 MST Print View

2149 GMT: The Kyodo news agency is now citing a safety panel as saying that the radiation level inside one of the reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant is 1,000 times higher than normal.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Re: Reactor radiation level at Fukushima-Daiichi on 03/11/2011 15:42:37 MST Print View

They are actually venting radioactive steam.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: Reactor radiation level at Fukushima-Daiichi on 03/11/2011 16:10:26 MST Print View

Maybe building reactors on coasts isn't such a great idea round the pacific basin

Evac zone is now 10km

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Japan Earthquake on 03/11/2011 16:13:56 MST Print View

The Tsunami crossing the farmland carrying all that debris was one of the more shocking things I think I've even seen.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Reactor radiation level at Fukushima-Daiichi on 03/11/2011 16:16:08 MST Print View

One would assume that they scrammed the reactor early in the emergency.

Reactors are often built around large bodies of water for cooling purposes. Unfortunately, if you have no power to pump the cooling water, it doesn't do much good.

--B.G.--

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Reactor radiation level at Fukushima-Daiichi on 03/11/2011 17:02:33 MST Print View

Yes they are. The old plant in Oregon was built right on the Columbia River for that reason - easy access to cold water.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Reactor radiation level at Fukushima-Daiichi on 03/11/2011 18:07:49 MST Print View

"Maybe building reactors on coasts isn't such a great idea round the pacific basin"

Maybe building reactors isn't such a great idea

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Re: Re: Reactor radiation level at Fukushima-Daiichi on 03/11/2011 18:28:20 MST Print View

"Maybe building reactors isn't such a great idea"

That could be the topic for a whole new thread. However, in hindsight it does seem reactors of the future should be built so that backup power for pumping water is not affected by submersion and cooling will carry on no matter what. It's a tough ask. Rivers can be diverted by landslides and earthquakes. Backup generators need oxygen for combustion, so can't be housed in waterproof containers. maybe they should have a huge snorkel that will suck in air no matter how big the tsunami. Anyway, it's water under the bridge now. All we can do is hold our breath and hope they get the reactors under control, and find fewer loved ones have been lost than predicted. It's an unimaginably terrible tragedy.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reactor radiation level at Fukushima-Daiichi on 03/11/2011 18:42:07 MST Print View

"All we can do is hold our breath and hope they get the reactors under control"

We could not build any more

Another problem with reactors is the shortage of Uranium. It comes from a few countries, like Nigeria, so we'll be in the same problem we're already in with oil.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Japan on 03/11/2011 18:51:07 MST Print View

All I can say is wow of the helicopter images coming from Japanese television coverage. Now we know why the tsunami is Japanese word it like a dam bursted unbelievable. I lived in Okinawa, Japan while I was in the air force. Most of the island is mountainous juts out on the west side that would have been affected. But if the tidal surge did wrap around at the bottom part of the island they may have gotten flooding. Okinawa has low lying areas on the sea of japan side or east side they have 15 to 20 foot sea walls that are 3/4 pipes with giant cement "Jack's" in front of the sea wall to send out tidal surges back out to sea during typhoons.

I was in 1971 Sylmar earthquake it was big and thrashed our house. I really feel sorry for the japanese people getting hit with a 8.9 earth quake clean up and rebuilding will take a long,long time.

Hopefully the rest of the world will chip in with aid like the last earth quake and tsunami.

Edited by socal-nomad on 03/11/2011 18:55:09 MST.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Locale: Southeast
Maybe building reactors isn't such a great idea on 03/11/2011 18:58:30 MST Print View

Maybe not building reactos isn't such a great idea. Life is a risk / reward game. Consider any method for making electricity and you will find something undersireable. Find a risk free, zero impact, cheap and reliable source of electricity gereration and you will make yourself a very rich fellow. I guess the easiest way to check all of those boxes would be to turn off the lights.

Uranium supply should be of pretty low concern relative to other forms of "fuel". Heck, the steel needed for a plant is probably scarcer than U235.