Curious about...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jesse Sites
(Grasshopper0818) - F
Curious about... on 03/09/2011 20:05:36 MST Print View

I see so many people that are able to take long hiking trips like the AT and I am just curious what people do for a living that allow them to be gone so long from work. I think it is great to see so many of you to be able to do these type of hikes and would love to do some of these great adventures.

As for me, I am still employed during these tough times and grateful, but find it even harder to take time off during the week. I am also a dad who is involved with daughter's activities on the weekends when active. We take time on weekends to camp as a family. I squeeze in my stuff during weekends I am not busy with family or when the wife knows I need to go, I go. Lol. So I think it would be nice to be able to do some of these things during the week like i see some of you or take months to do them. I am not mentally ready to do what Awol did to hike the AT just yet. :)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Curious about... on 03/09/2011 20:15:23 MST Print View

For every one who is able to take the time there are thousands who wish they could. Me included.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Re: Curious about... on 03/09/2011 20:19:49 MST Print View

if i say i want time off with out pay, my employer is glad to not give me money for a while. but then again, i do also work in a gear shop.... Plus i think a lot of people "quit" for the duration of their trips.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Curious about... on 03/09/2011 20:31:06 MST Print View

Somewhat covered in this thread.

Jesse Sites
(Grasshopper0818) - F
Thanks for the thread on 03/09/2011 20:59:15 MST Print View

That was a good read.

Ed Engel
(Doorknob) - F

Locale: West of what you think is west
Re: Thanks for the thread on 03/09/2011 22:15:33 MST Print View

Back in 1981 when I did the PCT and got into Washington, I was told by many people that I met on the trail how they would like to do the PCT. They asked my how I did it and I responded that I saved up my money and quit my job. Every one of them said "I can't quit my job" and I would say "I guess you don't really want to do it".