Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Western Mountaineering Bags
Display Avatars Sort By:
Todd Dea
(busguy)

Locale: Coast Mountains
Western Mountaineering Bags on 03/08/2011 10:38:11 MST Print View

Is it just me or are there other people on here who like me, continue to be absolutely blown away by what people ask for used WM Bags on this site ?

I guess it's not so much what people are willing to ask for these bags, but rather that there are actually people willing to pay these prices for a used product, that blows me away.

A couple of posts below this one is a WM bag that has 20+ nights on it and it's being offered (not obo, but firm) for barely over 20% off the retail price.

20+ nights is USED. Not kinda used . . but solidly USED.

I see NEW, NEVER used Montbell and Marmot bags quite often being offered on these gear swap sites for 20-30% off retail for a NEW bag.

Am I way off to assume that USED products should go for somewhere in the 30-50% off range (and usually closer to the 50% end) ??

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm all for a free market and think prices should fall where they may based on demand, but my god, are these things really that magical that people are willing to sleep in someone else's bed for a measly 20% discount ?

Thoughts ?

Doug Reeves
(strawman) - F

Locale: God's Country
... on 03/08/2011 10:41:09 MST Print View

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that WM bags rarely go on sale. The other bags you mentioned can be found for 20% off quite often. The only time I've ever seen a WM bag on sale is when a local store was going out of business.

Landon Schrock
(lschrock) - F

Locale: The plain states
build quality on 03/08/2011 10:45:06 MST Print View

Also, WM bags are built extremely well, I don't know if you've slept in one, but the quality is almost unrivaled, and made in the US. Most other bags, outside of the cottage industry, are outsourced to China for construction.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Western Mountaineering Bags on 03/08/2011 10:45:46 MST Print View

Short answer: Yes (obviously).

Rationale: Quality holds its value longer over time.

Example: Assuming equal mileage, which costs more - a used Ford or a used Mercedes?

In Economics, it's referred to as the law of supply and demand.

NW Hiker
(king2005ify) - M
Re: Western Mountaineering Bags on 03/08/2011 11:00:11 MST Print View

The bags can be washed, and brought back to like-new condition, so used is not an issue whatsoever for most.

Also, this is proof that most people are positive that made in USA quality is worth much more than "made in China", simple as that.

That 20 nt WM or FF bag is going to be excellent for 100 nts or more...so it's only seen 1/5 of it's life, thereby justifying a 20% discount on something that only sells at full retail.

All just IMO of course : )

david woods
(woodsie) - F

Locale: Middle Tennessee
free market on 03/08/2011 11:41:31 MST Print View

Alas the fiends; at least we are all safe here. If the price is too high we can exercise the option to leave it sit.

Shawn Peyton
(alifeoutdoors) - F - MLife

Locale: Iron River, WI
Re: Western Mountaineering Bags on 03/08/2011 12:09:15 MST Print View

+1 to everything said here and WM bags. You just can't beat the quality and longevity of their product. My ethics don't lend themselves too easily to such a term as "brand loyalty" but I am a complete loyalist to WM. Another good analogy is WM = Toyota as they used to be. You could buy a Tacoma with 100,000 and would pay the higher price. You knew you were practically guaranteed another 100,000. I try to be the good son and buy locally/nationally as much as possible, however you couldn't pay me to give up my Toyota. My first WM is 7 years old and almost like new, including loft. My flight vest is 4, been on every trip with me, doubled as my pillow and never shown a hint of losing it's loft. I just purchased the Caribou MF last season for a lighter bag in warmer times. I hope to have three within my lifetime. Unfortunately now my fiance has to wait an extra year to go back to college for the masters. ;) The price of quality now.

Kevin Tjaden
(ktjaden) - F

Locale: West
I agree with OP... on 03/08/2011 13:39:41 MST Print View

I agree, the next person to sell a Western Mountaineering bag should sell it to me for less than 50% of original retail. Or, given that they have already received their value from the bag they could PIF to me instead for just the shipping.

ZOOOMMMM>>>>>>>>Back to the real world.....

The market does determine price and this market definitely values Western Mountaineering higher than most other manufacturers. Given the high degree of loyalty to the brand I would assume it is deserved. In the interest of full disclosure I do not work for WM or own a WM product.

James Horner
(jbob19) - F

Locale: Ontario
need to search on 03/08/2011 16:22:59 MST Print View

certain companies and certain products hold their value much better than others, the reasons for this have been mentioned above.

Yet if you search and are patient deals can be had

I just purchased an Alpinlite and an Apache for combined total of $400, the bags were only used for 5 nights.

Martha S.
(kitfox) - F
Guess I'll never know on 03/08/2011 17:06:13 MST Print View

This is a really good question -- one I had to ask myself today.

I've been searching for a Western Mountaineering Highlight for some time now. It seemed ideal for what I wanted: 35 degree rating, 16oz, highly recommended. The price of $260-280 wasn't exactly perfect though, so I hoped to buy one lightly used.

Then I saw a woman's Golite Adrenaline 40-degree bag on clearance for $130 with shipping. Five degrees cooler, 3 oz heavier, but designed for a woman (yay!), up to 150 smackers off new, and at least $70 off the price of an ABSI (already-been-slept-in) Highlite.

With savings like that I'm a lot closer to getting the MLD Duomid I want (anyone got one in yellow, btw?). I guess I'll never know how the two bags compare since I won't be buying the Highlite, but I'm consoled by the fact that I'll be the first and only grungy backpacker to inhabit it.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
quilts on 03/08/2011 19:03:47 MST Print View

lets just put it this way, if WM started making quilts, I think they would run every cottage guy out of business in a year (quilt makers anyway).

They make an excellent product.

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
RE: Western Mountaineering Bags on 03/08/2011 21:05:13 MST Print View

Ahhh, that must be my FS post. But now you have a chance for 30-50% on the eBay sale. My assumption is it will go closer to my original asking price, but I'm prepare (and now committed) to sell.

It really is a level of quality in WM that's fairly unrivaled. One of the keys, often repeated, is how WM accurately rates their bags. I haven't found anything that packs and compresses as neatly, maintains its loft, cleans and restores, is so damned spot on to the ounce and degree... and RESELLS as well as Western Mountaineering.

But without direct experience, or more time on the board with experienced members, you can't appreciate the value. Especially for those BPL folks who are only here posting and grabbing on the Gear Sales and Gear Deals forums.

And maybe it's all hogwash. But I'm poised to replace that Highlite with a warmer bag and my money is on WM Ultralite. I'll be so lucky to score slightly over 20% off.

cheers, happy hunting
-Michael

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
RE: Western Mountaineering Bags RULE! on 03/13/2011 21:41:38 MDT Print View

I just have to FLAME this dead topic. Guess what, you Gear Swap trolls, the WM Highlite sold on eBay, (EBAY not BPL)... no, not for the starting bid of $165, nor my asking price here for $200, but (drum roll).... $215.50. How's that for re-sale value?!! Good luck with those Marmots and GoLites.

hasta,
-Michael

Edited by uberkatzen on 03/13/2011 21:43:33 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: RE: Western Mountaineering Bags RULE! on 03/13/2011 21:44:23 MDT Print View

Good job Michael!

WM =awesomeness!

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
I second it on 03/13/2011 22:02:37 MDT Print View

I sold my wm bags on ebay for way more than folks here laughed at me for. i sold one on gear trade and two on ebay and got more than my list price on ebay.

None of which sold here or even got an offer.

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
Sold for more than retail on 03/14/2011 08:29:29 MDT Print View

I was able to sell a couple of WM bags on ebay for MORE than retail. I typically don't like to sell outside the U.S. but I have had many requests for items and offers to pay more than retail to get one shipped. These were sold a couple of years ago.

If WM did decide to make quilts, I think they would look alot like Katabatic's quilts.

Jono Ging
(gingi310) - F

Locale: San Francisco
WM DOES make quilts on 03/14/2011 23:21:43 MDT Print View

they call 'em the Cloud 9 Comforter: http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Cloud-9-Comforter

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
The downside of the Bay on 03/15/2011 04:40:03 MDT Print View

I am glad that you were able to meet your sale price on Ebay, but like other sellers have realized it is unfortunate that Ebay and maybe PP (depending on how you accepted payment) probably ate up $20-$30 of that sale.

BTW, I have a WM bag and they are worth the money.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Western Mountaineering Bags on 03/15/2011 11:07:29 MDT Print View

I have a north face down bag going on 2500 nights. Western Mountaineering bags are better
than TNF, so I would easily pay the money for a slightly used bag by them.

Matt Jones
(mjones) - F
quality on 03/15/2011 12:20:07 MDT Print View

I used a WM Apache bag that is over a decade old over the weekend. Temps dropped to around freezing and I was as toasty as a marshmallow.