Forum Index » GEAR » 2011 Gear Purchase Moratorium?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Gear Purchase Moratorium? What Sacrilege!! on 03/08/2011 16:23:49 MST Print View

I was doing pretty good until the Golite Web sale!

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.
Re: 2011 Gear Purchase Moratorium? on 03/09/2011 08:00:43 MST Print View

Couldn't do it. Especially when Golite as 70% off. A Jam for $50!!!!!! Can't beat that.

GOOLLLLIIITTEEE!! (while angrily shaking fist into the air)

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
2011 Gear Purchase Moratorium on 03/09/2011 08:25:00 MST Print View

I've been on a moratorium. I think. Well, for major purchases anyway, did have to get some Reed pants from GoLite.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: 2011 Gear Purchase Moratorium on 03/09/2011 08:45:17 MST Print View

An alternative to a moratorium is to BUDGET using a weekly, monthly, or any other time period you want, eg by paydays. For example, if every other Friday is payday then you budget maybe $20 for gear.

If you don't spend it then you'll have $40 on the next payday for gear, etc. The longer you wait, the more you have in your gear budget. Mosts gear goes on sale now and then. Wait. Don't be impulsive.

Don't get suckered into buying gear you don't need with a credit card when you won't be able to pay off the balance when your statement arrives. Unless of course you want to enrich the credit card lenders. Your choice.

The big ones like GoLite and the small cottage industry will survive without you buying things you don't need. From what I've seen on the trails, there are plenty of backpackers that have not made their first light gear purchases yet. Let the marketing get those that really need the gear buy it. Not those that already have what they need. Again, your choice. Your hard earned dollars.

John Castro-Rappl
(Jabber) - MLife
MYOG on 03/09/2011 12:57:27 MST Print View

An alternative that'd be worth considering: instead of purchasing new gear, limit yourself to MYOG projects. Overall it'd be cheaper, more gratifying, and skill-building, as well as giving you something to do other than watching the Gear Swap!

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
buy buy buy on 03/10/2011 01:03:44 MST Print View

just use what you have if its decently light and functional ... all the gear in the world wont make you any better a person ... an ounce here or there is meaningless unless youve lost that big belly anyways

now replacing a 5 lb pack with a 2 lb one is a different story ....

buy for use, not to satisfy some hidden mental need in yr psyche ...

the best gear purchases are the ones you use to have fun ...

scri bbles
(scribbles) - F

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Re: buy buy buy on 03/10/2011 09:00:12 MST Print View

Agreed. Gear moratorium. Instead buying healthier foods. I'm working on decreasing my Skin-In weight.

kevperro .
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Monroe, WA
Good for a decade on 03/10/2011 11:34:50 MST Print View

I go through spurts. I just had one last year and I updated many items. Between these "spurts" I often go years without updating anything that isn't broke.

Before I did my shopping trip last year I passed a guy on the trail who wanted to know how I liked my pack. I said I loved it but I couldn't remember the name of the company that made it nor the model (It is a ULA Catalyst). I also couldn't have told him the weight of most of the things in my pack. But.... during my shopping spree last year I itemized everything in my pack, researched the various options available and got all anal over it again.

Hopefully.... I'm good for another decade and I can forget the model & weight of everything in my pack again.