Input on a pad for insertion in my BB
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Taylor
(Stahl) - F

Locale: Montana
Input on a pad for insertion in my BB on 03/07/2011 19:39:10 MST Print View

I got a couple of sheets of Minicel CCF, 70x40x1/4 and 70x40x3/8, and want to cut them for pads for under insulation in my blackbird. I'm hoping to get some wrap around my shoulders and hips. I plan to layer them together for extreme cold or use them singly depending on temps. I obviously need to cut them and am wondering if a more experienced pad hanger might have an opinion on shape.
Here's what I drew...Chalk on 1/4
I'm wanting a minimum weight, good side insulation, and what comfort can be affected by cut, in that order. I have a hotknife all warmed up and ready!

Thanks for input,

Stahl

mark wuethrich
(mwuethri)
bbird insulation on 03/07/2011 19:43:56 MST Print View

maybe consider doing a double layer under your butt / back, I use both UQ's and pads in my bbird, and always end up having to stick something extra under my rear

Kurt Suttell
(krshome) - F
ah ya on 03/19/2011 17:36:32 MDT Print View

So James how did it turn out? I just ordered a WBBB and have to do the same thing. Glad your the guinea pig! Where did you get the foam and how thick? Thanks Man

James Taylor
(Stahl) - F

Locale: Montana
Here's some pics on 03/21/2011 06:38:59 MDT Print View

I cut each pad the same shape (what I sketched in chalk, basically) which is 40" wide at the shoulder and the whole 70" long. I made 1 in 3/8" minicel, and one in 1/4" minicel, figuring I could layer them for extreme weather, and use either for warmer temps. I have not yet had a chance to try them (sob!) but will give them a field test on April 15th.
I tried to use a hotknife for the cutting, but it was ridiculously too slow, so I switched to shears.
Then I got ambitious and made a custom 1.7 nylon bag for the pads, since they're so wide they roll up to be longer than my backpack. I added a set of grograin loops for attachment, and a set of loops for my fishing pole (conveniently, almost 40" long). Foam came from these guys: http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html
Many pics included, hope some of them help.

Dirty Knee guy lying on itCut but not testedBagged and read to pack

I anticipate that I cut them too wide, although they seem to have just about the right amount of wrap around my shoulders to prevent cold-shoulder-syndrome, and I figure that later I may want to cut darts in where it bends, to permit better flexing.

I hope this helped! If not, please ask, I'll do my best to offer more info.
Stahl

Edited by Stahl on 03/21/2011 06:40:38 MDT.

Kurt Suttell
(krshome) - F
pad on 03/21/2011 12:15:26 MDT Print View

Thanks, Looks good.