Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Dogs and Poison Oak...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Dogs and Poison Oak... on 03/07/2011 19:24:41 MST Print View

Now that I've got me a new puppy...

1
(People kept looking at me funny on this recent backpacking trip. I'm sure it was only little dog's pink jacket...)

Anyhow, out running with her today and she charges headlong into poison oak. Not too bad, not rolling around in it or anything, but she was in it...

I don't really get poison oak, at least not bad enough to be very noticeable.

What about the puppy?
What about bringing her home to my wife and kids?

Should I be worrying about bathing her right now?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Dogs and Poison Oak... on 03/07/2011 19:34:23 MST Print View

"Should I be worrying about bathing her right now?"

From the picture I'd say you're concerned about the wrong sentient being getting bathed...... ;-)

Most pups are pretty resistant to both poison oak and poison ivy, but they can certainly pass the oils that cause the rash from their coat to your (or your family's) skin, so you might want to give her a quick bath for that reason alone.

Do watch your pup for red inflamed skin, itchiness, or raised bumps or swelling on the skin, which would mean she's having a reaction herself. If you see any, take her to the vet.