Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
I know it is heavy but...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Williams
(mlebwill) - F

Locale: Colorado
I know it is heavy but... on 03/03/2011 20:40:59 MST Print View

I just got a Backpacker Oven and I'm really excited to try it. Heading up to an igloo camp this weekend and I'll be able to give it a good test. I figured since I'll be pulling a pulk, 30 extra oz's and a slightly heavier stove would be negligible for the added satisfaction of our meals.

The menu will be pizza's, banana bread and chocolate chip cookies. I'm also considering lasagna and maybe some brats and sauerkraut.

Anyone have any experience with one of these? Any favorite things to bake?

Mike

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
I know it is heavy but.. on 03/03/2011 21:15:39 MST Print View

I know that Sarah (sarbar) uses one and has featured it on her website (trailcooking.com) as well as on some youtube videos.

Edited by hikinggranny on 03/03/2011 21:16:15 MST.

Michael Williams
(mlebwill) - F

Thanks on 03/03/2011 21:23:32 MST Print View

I checked out her site but couldn't find anything in the search feature. Maybe she will chime in. I can look at youtube tomorrow when I'm board at work now!

Mike

Edited by mlebwill on 03/03/2011 21:24:13 MST.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
I know it is heavy but.. on 03/03/2011 22:21:05 MST Print View

Sorry, should have looked first; it's a homemade "Faux Baker." She has recipes listed, though.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: I know it is heavy but... on 03/03/2011 23:33:03 MST Print View

might want to make your title more descriptive...

I've used them many times. I really enjoy them.

I'd advise against trying to bake three courses on the same meal though. It's definitely slower than the boil water, one pot meals. Plus, when winter camping, easy, fast and hot are nice. Pizza is not that.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: I know it is heavy but... on 03/04/2011 09:35:58 MST Print View

Sure, they can be fun! But I would agree....don't do everything with it. Are you using a Bemco style one or other?

My thoughts: do plan on making fun stuff in the oven but also have things you can do in a large pot on a stove - the brats for example you could pan fry while you are baking the other item.

And sure you could bake the banana bread there but I'd be more likely to bake up banana cupcakes the night before and pack those in. The fattier they are, the less likely to freeze while you travel.

I'd also say that I have made pizza successfully in a 2L wide/shallow non-stick pot with a lid and with a heat diffuser underneath. An oven does make it crispier though.

Just my thoughts!

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
backpacker oven review on 03/04/2011 17:21:43 MST Print View

Wrong backcountry cooking lady... it was my site that featured it... heavy, but good product.

Backpacker Oven

There are many ways to bake on the trail. The Outback Oven is one of my favs and this one is really great too.

What kinds of recipes are you looking for? Sweet? Savoury? Both?

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 03/04/2011 17:22:53 MST.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

food pics on 03/04/2011 17:32:59 MST Print View

These were done in an Outback Oven but the BP Oven works much the same way...

silicone muffin cups in use

Chai Tea Breakfast Cake

inside of the muffins

Cinnamon Buns

Pizza Mmm

Dots

Mouth watering yet?

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 03/04/2011 17:34:07 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: food pics on 03/04/2011 17:34:35 MST Print View

You just knocked me off my diet.

--B.G.--

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

oops on 03/04/2011 18:06:05 MST Print View

sorry...

Here... does this help get you back on track?another slaw

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
that does look healthy on 03/04/2011 18:08:24 MST Print View

What is it?

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Re: that does look healthy on 03/04/2011 18:09:36 MST Print View

red and green cabbage coleslaw with chicken... lol

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
red cabbage slaw on 03/04/2011 21:38:36 MST Print View

Is your recipe posted somewhere for this dish? also what are the pecan covered pastry things above called? Are they baked in a muffin pan?
thanks, I am taking my kids on their first hike next week. the cole slaw is for me, the pastries would be for them.
thanks

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: food pics on 03/04/2011 21:48:27 MST Print View

Amazing looking food Laurie!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: that does look healthy on 03/04/2011 21:49:35 MST Print View

When's the new book coming out!?

Pepe LP
(PepeLp) - F

Locale: New Mexico
Re: red cabbage slaw on 03/04/2011 21:49:53 MST Print View

"I am taking my kids on their first hike next week. the cole slaw is for me, the pastries would be for them."

You have this backwards. Sacrifice yourself and save them from the horrible pastries. Make them eat the healthy nutritious cabbage. Remember "It's for the children."

Michael Williams
(mlebwill) - F

Awesome... on 03/04/2011 23:32:12 MST Print View

Very cool, thanks for the idea's. I did get the Bemco oven. I'll try it out this weekend, but my over-nigher just got canceled. Best new toy week ever! I got a the Oven, a 2 new stoves for the oven and I just bought a Jeep to go along with the oven. I was supposed to be packed and ready to hit the road 4 hours from now (but I just got home from paying too much).

Anyway, I think I'll play around with it all weekend now that I'll stay close to home. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Mike

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Awesome... on 03/05/2011 09:17:08 MST Print View

Sounds like the weekend for Jeep-camping :-D Just sayin'!

Michael Williams
(mlebwill) - F

1st thing I learned anout the Bemco on 03/05/2011 18:00:22 MST Print View

Oil the pans... That is an important step not to be forgotten. But the unit held temp really nicely. I like this much better than steam baking. Banana bread in the morning, can't wait.

Mike

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

replies... on 03/06/2011 11:47:35 MST Print View

Brent...

This one with the pecans doesn't really have a name. A basic yeast dough was buttered and sprinkled with cinnamon, a mixture of brown and maple sugar, and pecans. Baked for about 12 minutes (Upper Bake in the OOven) so maybe 375°F to 400°F in the Bemco. Send me a private message with your email address and I can send you a bunch of recipes.

Jack... thanks. Food adds to the experience in my opinion (did I say that already? lol)

Douglas... the first book has been out quite a few years now and the second should be on shelves by May 15th. It goes to print this week I think (just as soon as I pick an author photo for the blurb in the back - bleh).

Pepe... our boy eats very healthy at home and on the trail. He's also very active so the odd treat on a wilderness trip is well-deserved and because he's so active he needs some extra calories especially because he has very little body fat. Not like an adult who could handle a deficit. That said, kids need good nutrition too.

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 03/06/2011 11:52:21 MST.