Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Via yeah-yeah

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Via yeah-yeah on 03/03/2011 20:20:17 MST Print View

New flavour, coffee hounds: French Roast.

http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/via/instant-coffee/french-roast

Nope, haven't gotten my hands on it yet.

Cheers,

Rick

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Via yeah-yeah on 03/03/2011 22:01:39 MST Print View

Did you try the vanilla? bleh! The Xmas blend was good

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Via Coffee on 03/04/2011 14:02:54 MST Print View

Rick - your coffee comments probably span close to 10 years on various boards by now. I love it! Glad to know I'm not the only one with a backcountry coffee addiction :) I genuinely hope you find the perfect cup in the woods someday before your knees refuse to take you to mountain tops.

The new Vias are pretty good. Similar to the Italian bold roast. I think all of the flavored ones are nasty, but the Bold Italian and French Roasts are good. Even in town, if you ask me. Coffee solution found as far as I'm concerned.

Now, if Costco would just carry one of the Bolds instead of just the medium roast I'd be a truly happy hiker.

Jeff Hollis
(hyperslug) - MLife
Home Roasting on 03/04/2011 14:26:59 MST Print View

Just curios if anybody else on this forum roasts their own coffee? I have been doing it for awhile now and find it quite enjoying if not challenging. People say that fresh roasted is much better than the store bought because coffee becomes stale within 14 days regardless of how it is packaged. I don't know for sure that is true, I do know I had to go about 7 months without fresh roast when my roaster broke and I was never happy with any store bought coffee.

I have some new green beans from Ecuador, Guatemala, Columbia, and Ethiopia, so many choices and its time to roast.

Jeff

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Home Roasting on 03/04/2011 14:30:16 MST Print View

I've been roasting my own coffee for about 4 years now I think. I use an iroast. I can tell the difference for sure.

sweetmarias.com (no affiliation) is THE place to go for home roasting supplies and green beans.

Edited by dag4643 on 03/04/2011 14:31:19 MST.

Jeff Hollis
(hyperslug) - MLife
Re: Re: Home Roasting on 03/04/2011 14:55:30 MST Print View

I have an iRoast2 and use Sweet Marias as well, one of the best resources for roasting on the internet and good source for green beans. No affiliation either!

How do you do your coffee on the trail? Bring a grinder or pre-grind? How do you prepare, I use the MSR mugmate.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: Re: Home Roasting on 03/04/2011 15:01:16 MST Print View

I like cowboy coffee. I'd love to be able to grind on the trail but can't justify the weight of a hand grinder so I pre-grind. But my trips are typically overnights or weekend trips.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Re: Via Coffee on 03/04/2011 15:07:58 MST Print View

Hi Curt,

Guilty as charged! :-)

In the crazy juggling act with taste, efficiency, weight-bulk, fuss I've settled on Via as a nice backcountry solution. I like press coffee the best when camping, but it's really inefficient and messy so I reserve it for car camping.

Agreed on Costco! Carry something dark, for Peet's sake (yeah, shameless) you guys.

Cheers,

Rick

p.s. Just say "nein!" to flavored coffees [shudder].

Edited by halfturbo on 03/04/2011 15:11:30 MST.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Re: Home Roasting on 03/04/2011 15:10:21 MST Print View

Hi Jeff,

Yup, occasionally roast it in an air-popper and grind it up right then and there. Wonderful complexity that can't be matched! And purportedly, green beans age like wine--I've had "aged Sumatra" that's amazing.

Would like to investigate a bigger volume roaster sometime, but I'm afraid of being declared light-industrial by my neighbors.

cheers,

Rick

Edited by halfturbo on 03/17/2011 17:12:30 MDT.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Starbuck's birthday roast on 03/04/2011 17:21:31 MST Print View

I went to my local Starbuck's today to pick up a couple pounds of beans. The manager gave me a sample cup of a soon-to-be-released "birthday" blend. It's a special product to honor their 40th anniversary of being in business. It's an interesting bold blend of coffees from Africa, Asia, and Latin America--very tasty, if you like a strong coffee taste. The best part is that they will have it in Via form as well. It will be sold starting March 8, and it will be a limited one-time run. I plan to be there early, to score a year's supply of Birthday Blend Via...

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Re: Starbuck's birthday roast on 03/17/2011 11:38:29 MDT Print View

Thanks to Gary's sleuthing I'm in possession of a 12-pack of Via "Tribute." It's darker and richer than the Colombian, perhaps a bit less dark than the Italian (although I don't have any handy for a side-by-side comparison) and is blended to give it a slight tanginess behind the dark-roast Sumatra. The expiration date on mine is November 2011, in case anybody wants to stock up for the summer hiking season (they say it will have a limited run).

This distracted me from trying the French roast. Next time.

Cheers,

Rick (why are my hands shaking?)

Edited by halfturbo on 03/17/2011 17:11:50 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Via Coffee on 03/17/2011 16:21:29 MDT Print View

"Agreed on Costco! Carry something dark, for Peet's sake (yeah, shameless) you guys."

Oh yeah. Just imagine what Peets could do with the Via concept. I drool at the prospect.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Via Coffee on 03/17/2011 16:22:53 MDT Print View

" I think all of the flavored ones are nasty, but the Bold Italian and French Roasts are good."

Not to mention heavier.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Peets on 03/17/2011 18:05:14 MDT Print View

Anyone else hear the rumors that SB's talking a sale of Peet's? Ooh...this could be an interesting sale if it happens.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Peets on 03/17/2011 20:49:39 MDT Print View

"Anyone else hear the rumors that SB's talking a sale of Peet's?"

Who is SB? I didn't know anybody owned Peets. Tell me it ain't so.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Peets on 03/17/2011 21:58:58 MDT Print View

Starbucks

Do they own Peets? that'd be crazy. Like Whole Foods owning Trader Joe's

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Peets on 03/17/2011 22:06:34 MDT Print View

The two companies are reportedly in talks about a sale/merger.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Peets on 03/18/2011 09:11:39 MDT Print View

The history of Peets and SB's is actually pretty interesting to read - they are a lot more connected than most would think. If a merger really does happen it could be interesting - at least to coffee nerds like me ;-)

(I was a long time barista for many years....I live and breathe coffee!)

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Re: Peets on 03/18/2011 10:42:46 MDT Print View

Yup, it's a tangled past. Starbucks once owned them, the sold everything but Peet's to Howard Schultz. So the original Starbucks became Peet's while Starbucks was "reborn" under Howard Schultz into what they are today. Whew!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2014528527_peets18.html

I'm able to note having been a Starbucks and a Peet's customer when they each had just one store. That was weeks and weeks ago.

Cheers,

Rick

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Re: Re: Peets on 03/18/2011 10:52:59 MDT Print View

>> So the original Starbucks became Peet's while Starbucks was "reborn" under Howard Schultz into what they are today. Whew!

????

Peet's started in 1966 in Berkeley. The same store is still there and a few times a month I indulge in a medium flat whole milk latte. My 80+ year old neighbor used to date Alfred Peet.

Starbucks started in 1971. The three founders knew Alfred Peet personally and bought their beans from Peet's during that first year.