Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Tent Nylon waterproofing standard

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Holland
(antipodes) - MLife
Tent Nylon waterproofing standard on 10/10/2006 17:38:15 MDT Print View

Recently purchased Ripstop fly nylon from Owf. Had a 1 oz urethane coating. Lynn of Owf has been very helpful in trying to answer my query re hydrostatic head equivalent of this coating but it appears she does not have this information. Does anyone know? eg is this a 2000mm product or whatever. Thanks in advance.

Jim Buch
(Jim_Buch) - F
Tent Nylon waterproofing standard on 10/16/2006 07:42:36 MDT Print View

The 2000 mm is supposed to be the height of a column of liquid needed to create enough pressure for the penetration of water through the fabric.

Unfortunately, I don't recall if the reference liquid is water or mercury.

If you look at tent specifications, they quote numbers for rainfly performance as 1000 mm, 1200 mm and sometimes 2000 mm as a measure of water entry pressure.

So, relatively speaking, the fabric you are looking at would be considered quite waterproof.

The Kelty Gunnison 2 tent lists the floor material as 1800 mm PU coated nylon.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Tent Nylon waterproofing standard on 10/16/2006 10:36:07 MDT Print View

The 2,000 mm rating is for a water column, which evidently equals 147 mm of mercury.

For yucks I tried switching the numbers, which have 2,000 mm of mercury equaling 27,190 mm of water, or about 90 feet(!)

Interestingly, the conversion tool I used shows 2,000 mm of water only equaling 2.8 psi, which doesn't sound nearly as impressive.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
1 oz urethane coating on 10/16/2006 13:08:53 MDT Print View

1 oz coating on 70d ripstop would be a heavy coating and very waterproof. Typical of higher end
tent floor and fly material such as would be offered
in 4 season tents. Some fly or tarp material can go
down as .25 oz of urethane.

Mark Holland
(antipodes) - MLife
Nylon Waterproofing on 11/03/2006 13:33:14 MST Print View

Thanks for your help, it sounds as if a 1 oz coating is pretty substantial so I have gone ahead c the project.