Help me pick a rain jacket
Display Avatars Sort By:
Wayne Wagner
(wagnerw) - F

Locale: NorCal
polycro groundsheet emergency poncho on 03/01/2011 20:13:29 MST Print View

Brendan-

If you cut a hole in your polycro groundsheet, is that a problem as a ground sheet? It seems like it shouldn't matter, but I need to ask.

Also, is there any science to cutting this hole? Do I need to worry about the hole spreading? Should I tape it or do anything to keep it clean? Also, how do you keep the sides connected, or do you just let them dangle?

I can definitely see the logic in windshirt with a poncho emergency backup...especially at that weight.

Thanks-
Wayne

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
polycro groundsheet emergency poncho on 03/01/2011 20:40:22 MST Print View

i just cut a slot with some tape on both ends to reinforce it so it doesn't tear further. i have an inflatable pad and haven't had any problems. i suppose water could come through the bottom of it was really swampy, but if it was that wet it'd probably be coming over the sides anyway. I've thought about adding a cuben hood, but really it's been so rare that I've used it that I haven't done it. I hike mostly in the high desert/CO plateau and rockies, so the setup might not be as functional in wetter climates. The windshirt is sufficient 95% of the time.

Thomas Gauperaa
(gauperaa) - F - M

Locale: Norway
Re: Help me pick a rain jacket on 03/02/2011 12:18:46 MST Print View

Maybe the Montane H2O? Very light, but maybe not as breathable as you want.

S Long
(Izeloz) - M

Locale: Wasatch
Re: Re: Help me pick a rain jacket on 03/02/2011 12:48:24 MST Print View

I have kinda narrowed it down to three candidates I think. The Montbell Outpace, the Eddie Bauer BC-200 from the FA line, or the Marmot Super Mica. Any thoughts on these?

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
super mica on 03/02/2011 13:08:54 MST Print View

I like the feature set on the super mica, weight is decent, don't care for the price that much :) the other thing that is a little worrisome is there have been a few folks that have had de-lamination issues w/ the mica and evidently Marmot didn't (wouldn't) cover them under warranty

so maybe a purchase from a retailer that would (REI, others?)

if you do go w/ that one I'd definitely like to hear some followup as I've been looking pretty hard at the super mica

Jake Willits
(TrailSavvy) - MLife

Locale: Arkansas Ozarks
EB FA BC200 on 03/02/2011 13:27:11 MST Print View

I have one of the BC200 jackets(2010). It's a size L-reg length. I'm almost 6' and weigh 220 with a 21" torso. It's a tad short. I am very impressed with the shell. I wore it in a 35 degree sustained all day rain on a trip in November on the Ozark Highlands Trail. It worked fantastic. Welded seams and rubberized zipper are sturdy. Oversized helmet hood allows a Grim Reaper look, keeping diagonal rain out of your eyes. Nothing got thru, and it seemed to breath well. Mine weighs 11oz. There is no zip vents, but it seemed to do very well otherwise. The only thing stopping me from giving it a more in depth review is that I haven't seem what it will do for a warm weather storm, when I NEED it to breathe. Hope this helps.

Jeff Hollis
(hyperslug) - MLife
My Rain Jacket Spreadsheet on 03/02/2011 14:00:27 MST Print View

I have a current excel spread sheet of most if not all of the current lightweight offerings in the US. It includes the feature set of each jacket as in pit zips, pockets, and their locations. However it will not format correctly if I cut and paste but if you send me your email via PM I will forward it to you.

Jeff

S Long
(Izeloz) - M

Locale: Wasatch
Which one? on 03/02/2011 20:41:37 MST Print View

Based on Jeff's excellent spreadsheet he sent me I have found some new and interesting choices. I decided I would be willing to sacrifice a bit on weight for a durable jacket with a good feature set. The plus side is that all of these are helmet compatible. The Patagonia is by far the most expensive. I am wondering if it is worth what they want for it? I would love to hear first hand experience with any of these:

Eddie Bauer BC-200 - 10.6 oz. - Weatheredge Pro
Westcomb Specter LT hoodie - 11 oz. - eVent
Patagonia M10 - 11.4 oz. - H2NO
Rab Momentum - 12 oz. - eVent

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Which one? on 03/02/2011 20:47:18 MST Print View

If you're a medium I have a Montbell Peak in very good condition.

Ismail Faruqi
(ismailfaruqi) - F
Montane on 03/02/2011 21:05:35 MST Print View

If you're willing to wait, montane new lineups seem pretty light. Montane Spektr (7.4oz) in eVent, or Montane Minimus (7.6oz) in Pertex Shield.

James Wyse
(Ravelyn) - M

Locale: The Crossroads of the Revolution
Re: EB FA BC200 on 03/02/2011 21:36:14 MST Print View

I also have a First Ascent BC-200 jacket and am very pleased with it. I've worn it on several trips where we had extended rain while hiking and it performed well, in my opinion. And I felt no particular need for pit zips, which have always been a pain for me to use anyway.

Aaron Reichow
(areichow)

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Re: Re: EB FA BC200 on 03/03/2011 12:26:07 MST Print View

I'm also liking my BC200. I've only used it in the winter and fall so far, using it for ~200 miles of hiking and a small amount of snowshoeing. I was a little concerned about the lack of pitzips or mesh lined core pockets, but so far so good. Material breathes pretty well in my experience. I like the weight and features for the cost of the jacket enough that I'd consider putting in pit zips rather than find something new if summer comes and I decide I need something with pit zips. I'm guessing I won't end up needing to do that, as I'm hoping to get away with a light windshirt as much has I can this summer.