Forum Index » Chaff » Lightweight Backpackers Baseball Thread

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Lightweight Backpackers Baseball Thread on 03/01/2011 09:00:21 MST Print View

Yes I love baseball. I love baseball so much that it nearly rivals my love for being outdoors. Just sayin. My team? The San Francisco Giants.....World Champs of 2010

Evan McCarthy
(evanrussia) - MLife

Locale: Northern Europe
Re: Lightweight Backpackers Baseball Thread on 03/01/2011 11:11:44 MST Print View

I'm with you, Ken. I love baseball almost as much as backpacking. And this year I'm embracing baseball heresy. I was a lifelong Red Sox fan (born and raised near Worcester, Massachusetts) and this year I'm moving on and embracing my new hometeam, the Washington Nationals. It's going to be a lot of fun to follow a team from bad to (fingers crossed) good. I'm not sure I like the new Red Sox and their monster contracts. It's time to move on, since I already literally moved away. And I got to revel in two World Championship seasons.

Edited by evanrussia on 03/01/2011 11:44:33 MST.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Lightweight Backpackers Baseball Thread on 03/01/2011 11:14:59 MST Print View

Nice, and you get to watch Bryce Harper be a star!

Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
Detroit Tigers on 03/01/2011 11:18:21 MST Print View

Ken,

It's that time of year man. Spring training, all things are possible and everything is right with the world.

Big Tigers fan here. I go way back and give lots of love to Giants players from the 60's. Mays, McCovey, the Alou's and Juan Marichal with that wicked leg kick. I could go on and on. Playing ball as a kid, when I wasn't imagining myself as Al Kaline then I was Willie Mays. Not a bad thing for a skinny white kid from a not very progressive town. Baseball is one of the great things to come out of the U. S. of A, and captures many of the ideals that we cherish; fair play, competition, strategy, sportmanship, teamwork. Even when the game fails (ie steroids) it has a way of correcting itself and purging the wrongs. Enough melodrama.

Credit to the way your Giants pulled it off last year, with few stars and a bunch of hardworking journeymen. My wish for you is that our clubs meet in October.

Play ball!

P

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Detroit Tigers on 03/01/2011 11:25:05 MST Print View

Pull, I tell ya. That would be a fun series to see! Thanks for the congrats and yes it was a wonderful thing to see my team after 40 years of watching them win one. Truth be told....in my household The Tigers are #2 as my wife grew up in Point Sanilac. I would have to take my Giants if that was the case. If The Tigers do make it (and Cabrerra is not a distraction) then I will be rooting for The Tigers! Baseball is fun!!