Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Thread for sewing Cuben

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Cadorin
(JeffCadorin) - F

Locale: paper beats rock
Thread for sewing Cuben on 03/01/2011 08:37:20 MST Print View

Has anyone experimented with different threads for sewing cuben? Anyone ever sourced dynema thread to try with it? I have been thinking of picking up some very thin braided fishing line(very stong and light). My samples will be here in a few days and I will start playing around with it. Any suggestions on the kind of needle I would need with it? I know it is probably the raw material itself that doesnt like to be sewn but maybe even oversized thread for a needle would help give it more strength?

Edited by JeffCadorin on 03/01/2011 08:38:21 MST.

Marco A. Sánchez
(marcoasn) - M

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees
Re: Thread for sewing Cuben on 03/01/2011 08:57:38 MST Print View

Won't a fine thread put the mylar film (cuben weak point) under a stronger stress?

Cheers.

Jeff Cadorin
(JeffCadorin) - F

Re: Re: Thread for sewing Cuben on 03/01/2011 10:03:28 MST Print View

Well I could get any thickness needed. Possibly bring a needle in and get the thickest I could thread threw it. Dont know how a braid would hold up though? Maybe the fusion wire thats out there? This is what I needed though, just some help figureing out what I should waste a little money on to test. Never know until you try.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Re: Thread for sewing Cuben on 03/01/2011 10:18:38 MST Print View

what are you making? For my quilts i use thru-hiker thread and a size 60 needle. Can't remember for sure which size of thread i have but since it fits the 60 i think it is the thin stuff.

-Tim

Jeff Cadorin
(JeffCadorin) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thread for sewing Cuben on 03/01/2011 10:31:24 MST Print View

Well I will be making it out of sil first to work out the bugs but, I am making a tent/tarp/poncho deal. Similar to the X-Rocket but much lighter and a little different. This one will take me awhile but plan on having the sil one done by summer. Will work on the cuben one next winter. I am getting some cuben to make a backpack hybrid with some dynemaX I have. That will be done hopefully in the next month or so. Kids really slow my progress down but I wouldnt have it any other way.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
thread on 03/01/2011 10:36:51 MST Print View

I like a stretchy thread (nylon) to spread out the forces.

Jeff Cadorin
(JeffCadorin) - F

Re: thread on 03/01/2011 11:10:47 MST Print View

David. Anything special? Played around with thickness of thread? I know you have alot of solid experience and are a manufacturer so can understand if you dont want to openly share.

Thanks for the info guys. Im narrowing down what I plan on testing

Jason Hortin
(jhortin) - M

Locale: Chicago
another possibility on 03/02/2011 21:21:56 MST Print View

I'm not sure if it's the right content, but check out Hy-Mark thread. It's usually what I use to sew my ballet shoes and is pretty strong...

Here's a link to a supply (I'm sure one could find it at Jo-Anns or something as well...

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/thread_hymark.html