Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Shuttle Help - Skyline to the Sea trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Shuttle Help - Santa Cruz / Bay Area (Skyline to the Sea trail) on 02/28/2011 13:42:11 MST Print View

If someone is able and willing I'm in need of a ride for my wife and myself from Waddell beach to Saratoga Gap or Castle Rock sometime between March 12-20th. Our start date is flexible as long as it's somewhere in that window. I'll happily compensate with gas money and beer.

Edited by JacobD on 02/28/2011 13:43:46 MST.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Shuttle Help - Santa Cruz / Bay Area (Skyline to the Sea trail) on 02/28/2011 19:32:42 MST Print View

Jacob, I live in Scotts Valley and can do it. Let me know when so I could plan

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Thanks Ken on 02/28/2011 20:44:11 MST Print View

You're the man, man.

I'll work on getting my ducks in a row asap and get right back to you. I'll send a PM with my contact info.

kris hammonds
(kristoHIKES) - F

Locale: nor*cal
just a fyi.... on 03/08/2011 18:01:09 MST Print View

all the hiker camps are shut down until may 1st as i was told.

if you start at castle rock you need to hike the 18+ miles down to big basin in one day, and pay 35 bucks for their car campsites. then hike the other 12 or so down to waddell the next day...

forgive me if i am wron. but i wanted to do the skyline to sea trail about a month back and ended up having to just do a day hike on the berry creek falls loop in big basin park...

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: Shuttle Help - Santa Cruz / Bay Area (Skyline to the Sea trail) on 03/08/2011 18:07:32 MST Print View

Stealth camp?

Richard Niemi
(rickniemi) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains
Shuttle Help - Santa Cruz / Bay Area (Skyline to the Sea trail) on 03/08/2011 18:15:01 MST Print View

Hammocks were invented for stealth camping weren't they?

kris hammonds
(kristoHIKES) - F

Locale: nor*cal
absolutley on 03/08/2011 18:21:33 MST Print View

you are so right.....

and quick getaways..i can have my hammock down and packed in two minutes thanks to the henessy hammock and it's wonderful 'snakeskins'...

as for sky-to-sea...thought i'd at least throw out a 'heads-up' ;-P

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: Re: Shuttle Help - Santa Cruz / Bay Area (Skyline to the Sea trail) on 03/09/2011 08:17:11 MST Print View

no comment, no comment, no comment :)

It's ridiculous that the trails are closed until May. I've been there in Jan before. Budget cut backs I'm sure.

Richard, the Gatewood can probably do stealth pretty good too... "what tent sir? this is my jacket".

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Shuttle Help - Santa Cruz / Bay Area (Skyline to the Sea trail) on 03/09/2011 15:02:31 MST Print View

The problem for stealthing is finding an appropriate place to park your car. All nearby street parking, as far as I know, does not allow for overnight stays.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Overnight parking on 03/09/2011 15:20:00 MST Print View

Is fine at Wadell Beach/ Rancho del Oso, just not on the Ocean side, where the lot closes at night.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Parking on 03/09/2011 20:56:33 MST Print View

To the best of my knowledge the Castle Rock parking lot & campground are open year round, are first come first served, and self pay/register. I wouldn't think it would be a problem to pay for a couple of nights and "camp there" so long as you have a way to get back up there.

(if anyone knows of a problem with this plan, please advise!)

Edited by JacobD on 03/09/2011 20:58:11 MST.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Parking on 03/10/2011 17:01:32 MST Print View

My concern is this: you park your car at the lot and they cannot account for your whereabouts, and so a SAR scenario ensues. They either find you stealth camping or you admit to "getting lost" or somesuch.

Jeffrey List
(jlist) - M

Locale: Cape Cod
Parking on 03/10/2011 18:06:15 MST Print View

I don't think you'll be able to leave you car parked safely for several days down at the Waddell Creek end. However, as far as I can tell there is Santa Cruz bus service there:
http://www.scmtd.com/en/routes/schedules/systemschedule/40/20112?dir=1&schedule=1
So if you leave you car parked in Santa Cruz, get a ride to the Skyline end of the trail, are willing to stealth camp (and have a backpack that looks like a daypack if a ranger sees you), then I think you could pull it off.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Parking on 03/10/2011 18:25:56 MST Print View

While no place is really safe to leave your car for days, Waddell is actually safer than most. I live five minutes from there and the same people drive there every day to take their kids to school, or to the bus, and to work. Big Creek is just up the hill and the whole area is watched closely. Not a guarantee, but I have lived right around Waddell for 12 years and it is safer than Santa Cruz. Buses run twive a day, about 7 and 4 pm.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Parking on 03/10/2011 19:22:37 MST Print View

Kat, is right. I would feel better leaving my car at Waddell than in Santa Cruz....locals know

Michael Clifton
(DaveyCrockett) - F

Locale: South Cali
Re: Re: Shuttle Help - Santa Cruz / Bay Area (Skyline to the Sea trail) on 05/02/2011 15:13:34 MDT Print View

I couldn't help but read your last reply to Jacob about a ride. I too am traveling the skyline to the sea trail this Friday actually, and I'll need a ride back up to castle state park. Can you or anyone be of assistance? Of course i'll offer the same as Jacob; cash, gas or beer :)

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: on 05/05/2011 15:56:48 MDT Print View

Good luck Michael.

I ended up bailing on that trip. That week/weekend were some major storms and high wind so I didn't mind postponing. We ended up doing a 16 mile day hike in the Marin Headlands between storms and a 5 mile run in the mud that weekend. You will have much nicer weather!