Absaroka madness
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Absaroka madness on 02/28/2011 00:03:34 MST Print View

Does the following sentence from the Absaroka sale page bother anyone else?:

"If you are an ounce-counter that wants a backpack that looks "ultralight" on your gear list spreadsheet, this is not the pack for you."

Please, let's show some respect for the whole premise of this site. We're not here to make our spreadsheet look good. We're here because going light is way more enjoyable.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Absaroka madness on 02/28/2011 00:08:28 MST Print View

Sounds like a McHale quote. I like it.

:)

Sometimes I think we get too mesmerized by spreadsheets.

Marco A. Sánchez
(marcoasn) - M

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees
Re: Absaroka madness on 02/28/2011 08:04:43 MST Print View

Hum... Some Sub-X gear lists seem to be made only to "look good" :-)

Cheers

Edited by marcoasn on 02/28/2011 08:07:15 MST.

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Re: Absaroka madness on 02/28/2011 10:07:52 MST Print View

Show some respect for the premise of this site?

Really, you think your pack weight deserves respect? I thought this site was all about helping backpackers to enjoy the outdoors? Sure a side effect is that your pack may be light or ultra light but in the end who really cares.

I think if you're upset about the Absaroka description then you've got a carbon fiber trekking pole stuck up your rear.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Carbon fiber on 02/28/2011 10:20:12 MST Print View

What have you been eating for breakfast, Chad? Where exactly did I say that I thought my pack weight deserved respect? You've got it exactly backwards. The premise of this site is that going light helps us to enjoy the outdoors.

I just think there's a faintly bullying tone to the original quote, with its subliminal message "buy an Absaroka to prove you're not a gram weenie."

Personally, I wouldn't buy one because I don't want to carry an extra 26 oz for no benefit--right now I use a much larger capacity, much lighter pack- a Z pack Blast 32- with which I can be out for 8 days without resupply (assuming no bear canister, but an Ursack.) And if I have to replace it every 2000 miles, am happy to do so. That's about .10/mile.

But if someone else wants a bulletproof pack that carries comfortably, for high weight loads, the Absaroka might be fine. But don't buy one to prove you're not a spreadsheet warrior.

Edited by swimjay on 02/28/2011 10:22:22 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Absaroka madness on 02/28/2011 12:11:22 MST Print View

"I think if you're upset about the Absaroka description then you've got a carbon fiber trekking pole stuck up your rear."

Might help with weight transfer.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Absaroka madness on 02/28/2011 13:09:46 MST Print View

"If you are an ounce-counter that wants a backpack that looks "ultralight" on your gear list spreadsheet, this is not the pack for you."

Actually, the thing that bothers me is the grammar. The sentence should have read, "If you are an ounce counter who wants a backpack...".

Let's show some respect for proper English! :)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Absaroka madness on 02/28/2011 14:11:27 MST Print View

> Let's show some respect for proper English! :)
+1!

Cheers

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Absaroka madness on 02/28/2011 14:34:29 MST Print View

Sorry about my marketing spiel, James. Although I do fancy a pretty spreadsheet it's hardly a defining factor in the gear I carry. And for the grammar freaks out there you'll be happy to know I've updated the page copy.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Grammar Freak vs. Absaroka madness on 02/28/2011 14:46:01 MST Print View

Hi Sam:

Actually, if one wants to be totally freaky about the grammar -- there should not be a dash between ounce and counter. A dash is normally used to link up two or more words used as modifiers -- when they precede the noun in question:

Sam is an ounce counter who... No dash.
Sam is an ounce-counting hiker who.... Dash.

But yes, we are happier now than we were before. Thanks. :)

Edited by ben2world on 02/28/2011 14:52:55 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
re on 02/28/2011 14:49:28 MST Print View

Quit humoring those guys, Sam

You're just encouraging them

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Grammar Freak vs. Absaroka madness on 02/28/2011 15:04:28 MST Print View

And to bring it full circle, that's a hyphen, not a dash. :-P

Pedant for the day,

Rick

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Carbon fiber for the prostate on 02/28/2011 15:12:41 MST Print View

James may I ask what you've been eating for breakfast, besides some carbon fiber enriched cereal?

You think the Absaroka add is saying 'buy this pack to prove your not a gram weenie.' The description says nothing like that, at least not to me. I see it as saying this isn't a SUL piece of gear. It's a pack for carrying heavy(ish) loads through rough conditions.

You're the one that took offense to the wording and thought that it was an attack aimed at disrespecting you and your spreadsheets. The length that you go to explain why you wouldn't use the pack seems to show you think rather highly of your pack and its weight. I'd dare say that you think that your pack weight deserves respect.

James your pack weight isn't a measure of your self worth. Say it with me James:

‘I am more than my spreadsheets’.

Keep repeating that and that trekking pole should dislodge itself from your prostate before winter backpacking is over.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Grammar Freak vs. Absaroka madness on 02/28/2011 15:21:48 MST Print View

"And to bring it full circle, that's a hyphen, not a dash. :-P"

Indeed. Glad I ain't the only grammar freak 'round here. :)

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Time on 02/28/2011 16:24:40 MST Print View

to cut back on the steroids, Chad, and get beyond wondering about other peoples backsides.

"an attack aimed at disrespecting you and your spreadsheets". Won't even start on the grammar of that one.

And sorry, don't have any spreadsheets.

More generally, I can explain it to you, but I can't understand if for you. And lighten up. This is "Chaff."

Edited by swimjay on 02/28/2011 16:35:21 MST.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Sudden understanding on 02/28/2011 21:24:14 MST Print View

I was quite surprised and put off by the viciousness of Chad's responses, and couldn't quite figure out where they'd come from, until I found/remembered:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43445&skip_to_post=369533#369533

Which was lighthearted froth on my part, not intended as any kind of insult, but apparently not taken that way. In my experience on this website, this is a unique event, but I suppose it's good to be aware that people can take things differently than you intend.

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
rabid chaff on 02/28/2011 21:43:10 MST Print View

James's idea of the site: "We're here because going light is way more enjoyable."

Chad's vision for the community: "I thought this site was all about helping backpackers to enjoy the outdoors?"

Sounds like you were in near or total agreement, until you went rabid trying to defend Sam's post:

"Really, you think your pack weight deserves respect?" Did he mention anything about his pack weight? I had to re-read it a few times because that was so schizophrenic. Are you carrying a conversation from some other thread?

"you've got a carbon fiber trekking pole stuck up your rear." WTF!?!? It's nearly laughable.

But, Chaff or not, yer just out of line, dude.

-Michael

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Re: Sudden MISunderstanding on 03/01/2011 09:05:25 MST Print View

Actually James you couldn't be farther off base. It was all lighthearted froth on my part, not intended as any kind of insult, but apparently not taken that way.

It's good to be aware that people can take things differently than you intend.

More generally, I can explain it to you, but I can't understand if for you. And lighten up. This is "Chaff."

Now for the important question James, did you actually go back through this site and look for past posts of mine? If you're going to stalk me then at least buy me a pair of VBL socks.

Edited by chadnsc on 03/01/2011 09:16:05 MST.

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Re: rabid chaff on 03/01/2011 09:14:49 MST Print View

Michael,

I think you're reading too far into this. James got upset by the wording of Sam's description for the pack. I think James got a wee bit too upset and in the process managed to give himself a wedgie. I made fun of James for it.

I know James never mentioned pack weight but this is a lightweight backpacing site where packweight always is on the forfront.

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
the first rule of fight club on 03/01/2011 11:27:18 MST Print View

never explain yourself to a girlfriend in a txt message .... don't invite co-workers onto Facebook .... remember it's Chaff .... use a smiley

I hate smileys and Facebook

cheers,
-Michael

Edited by uberkatzen on 03/01/2011 11:28:32 MST.