waterproof breathable for long skirt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
waterproof breathable for long skirt on 02/26/2011 12:38:21 MST Print View

OK, so this floated back into my "so brilliant why isn't it done" list... a long skirt, waterproof/breathable, pleats or a full length wrap with snaps/velcro. It's just smarter rainwear for women. I only wish I could wear it and not look... odd. What material should I look at? I think we're going to sew up a pair for the girls on our South America trip.

cheers,
-Michael

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

waterproof breathable for long skirt on 02/26/2011 13:42:25 MST Print View

LOL

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43391

never mind

Jan Rezac
(zkoumal) - MLife

Locale: Prague, CZ
RE: "waterproof breathable for long skirt" on 02/27/2011 05:49:42 MST Print View

I think that in this case wp/b fabrics won't help. A skirt is so well ventilating that there would be little difference in temperature and humidity across the fabrics, so it won't work.

If I was going to make a skirt, I would make it from light waterproof fabrics, but add a strip of a mesh on top where a jacket is worn over it to improve the ventilation.

I use silnylon chaps that are open on top and they work as good as wp/b pants.

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

waterproof not-breathable skirt on 02/27/2011 13:35:28 MST Print View

Good point Jan. I've liked the idea of chaps instead of pants. I'm going to pickup a 3/4 length DriDuck to test the exposure on chaps and the skirt with mesh upper.

cheers,
-Michael

Jan Rezac
(zkoumal) - MLife

Locale: Prague, CZ
RE: "waterproof breathable for long skirt" on 02/28/2011 14:27:50 MST Print View

I think the best way how to start is to check the coverage of the rain jacket you're going to use. Many are not long enough to work with chaps or such a skirt. I guess that's the way the manufacturers can claim lower weight and force you to buy pants in addition. I made my jacket myself and I wanted it very long.