Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Feeling like an impostor these days
Display Avatars Sort By:
Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/25/2011 18:06:48 MST Print View

I haven't been backpacking since last summer. I feel like such an impostor. Can I even consider myself a backpacker if I haven't been out in months? I blew off the warmest, nicest month of the year so far, too, mostly because I got stuck leading Sierra Club hikes every weekend. Now it's raining and snowing and cold. When will I ever hike again? I really want to get out again but now I fear I've become too soft and weak from warm, soft beds and sitting on my behind all day. Can anybody relate?

Dale South
(dsouth) - M

Locale: Southeast
RE:Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/25/2011 18:16:41 MST Print View

I have visited your web site. You make me feel like an impostor but I do understand how you feel. It seems to happen to me during the winter months. Being that I am very cold natured I have a hard time getting out for winter trips and then I get down on myself. I have a difficult time getting my motor going again. As they say "a body at rest will remain at rest…".

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/25/2011 18:17:16 MST Print View

Hah...I haven't backpacked since July of 2009 :-( Hiked, camped and traveled a lot...but not backpacked. But all is well and I know spring will bring trips. You just have to go again is all - and then you get back into it. But you know....I see myself as a hiker and adventurer over a backpacker. So I have an easier time!

Heck, I feel guilty for violating UL principles these days:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Walker, his pack and our combined gear is sitting at around 40 lbs these days. :-O

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/25/2011 18:28:17 MST Print View

Can't wait to read what Doug Ide might have to add...

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/25/2011 18:54:30 MST Print View

It's a big club.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
24 on 02/25/2011 19:22:06 MST Print View

My schedule has kept me to day hikes since the summer, though I really have no excuse. Here's some motivation:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/24_hyalite.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/garnetmountain.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/nine_months_to_summer.html

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/25/2011 21:10:23 MST Print View

Being in Florida, I unfortunately can relate!

When the folks in Colorado smile about "the hiking season" (summer), I get soooooo bummed. It's just no fun around here from late April thru October+.

Coworkers have laughed at me this week (it's been warm) when I whined "I'm sick of this nice weather!!! Bring on some cold!"

I still consider myself a backpacker! You should too.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/25/2011 21:34:25 MST Print View

I dont' feel like much of an impostor regarding backpacking, but I do feel a bit like that with BPL. I haven't contributed anything worthwhile in a long time.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
weather on 02/25/2011 22:12:40 MST Print View

in my mind there is no such thing as bad weather, just less than ideal conditions... we get pretty cold up here and in some places snow never goes away. yesterday it was -30 with wind chill in town.

Edited by rcowman on 02/25/2011 22:14:25 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Feeling like an impostor these days" on 02/25/2011 22:35:25 MST Print View

Pick your chin up, do what you can when you can, and try to extinguish those fearful thoughts that have nothing to do with the actuality of shouldering a wee little pack on your back and going for a walk.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/25/2011 23:00:48 MST Print View

I've been hoofing it around the eastern half of the state hunting for a full time job since last October feeling really sorry for myself. Took last weekend off for a quick solo 20 miles with an overnight in the cold damp Missouri River bluffs which inspired me to phone my new partner and begin planning a really big trip for late summer.
Just get outside! We all need the fresh air, I know that I did!

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
make it count on 02/26/2011 00:38:36 MST Print View

Living in Iowa you have a tough time being a real backpacker I have to travel I get one shot out west every year and maybe a trip to missouri for a four day weekend. I live for that 10 days or so in wyoming I try to make it count. Last year it was cold and snowy my first days out My altitude sickness was the worst ever I didnt make the trip I wanted to but I still had a great time. Cant wait to do it again

Craig Kowalski
(KillerKowalski) - F
I Hear Ya on 02/26/2011 01:16:52 MST Print View

I can relate.

Last year I only got out twice, which was a dissappointment. I feel like crap for it. I was unemployed for six straight months also. Sigh.

Well, the best we can do is plan. I have for the '11 season. I have so many I don't know where to go right now.

Hike on.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/26/2011 01:51:51 MST Print View

Yeah, I know.
It's summer here in Sydney, and that's not prime walking time. When you have weeks of 35+ C and 75+ RH, it is not only hard to go walking but potentially dangerous as well. Apart from the risks of heat stress and heat stroke, there are other hazards. We came back from one weekend to find ash around the perimeter of our farm. Bushfire.

But, these things pass, and soon ... :-)

Cheers

Dug Shelby
(Pittsburgh) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Yep on 02/26/2011 02:58:24 MST Print View

I can sort of relate.....

But I counteract the feeling with the knowledge that from late April to sometime after September I'll be hiking the PCT...every day until I hit Canadia. :)

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/26/2011 04:19:15 MST Print View

We all do what we really want to do.

If not consciously then unconsciously our minds prioritize our potential into our actions.

Right now think about your breathing. You just became aware of it although it was going on without you thinking about it.

What you think about is what you become. You can not feel angry or happy without first thinking angry or happy thoughts.

Just like your breathing or your heart beating, your mind is working whether you are aware or not.

If you feel bad because you are not backpacking then you need to become aware of the thoughts that are creating this unhappiness.

Are you working too much - no time - or working too little - no money? Are you doing other things for other reasons?

Think about the last time you hiked and saw a hawk. Amazing to watch. Hawk soars high and covers enormous distance merely by adjusting a feather a bit here or a little there. This is possible because Hawk flies with the wind. It you've ever watched a crow or sparrow trying to go against the wind then you've observed something quite difficult and even humorous.

We are the same if we go against the wind. You'll know when you are going with wind. Become aware of your thoughts. You will become Hawk.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/26/2011 06:09:17 MST Print View

You have a kid? 40lbs is NOTHING!!!!
Typically, my wife would herd the kids, and carry their cloths. A big pack but not a lot of weight, diapers, sleepers, winter sleepers, blankets, etc...about 25lb worth for 4 nights.
We did this some. Avery fourth or fifth trip.

I carried everything else. Tent, tarp, stove, fuel, our bags, mats(one extra for the kids,)
food, trail water, ... lots more. 50lb was where I drew the line.

Most of the camping season, we went car camping in parks. Day hikes to fishing holes, around the area, etc. Earlier/later on we would take a short hike (5-7mi) into a small lake. As they grew we went further into the woods. Eventually leaving the parks for the wilderness areas.
About half of our trips were still car camping. Over 100lb of gear: Bikes, toys, two tents...well, I am sure you get the picture. At around age 12-13, They started carrying their own gear, and, their friends. Once, they carried the boat... It made them very proud to think they could do that.

Now days, they are off working, raising their own families. They make it a point to go out with me once per year. The wife doesn't go, she has the grandkids, I take them one at a time for 5-10 days. Significant, because they set it up. They have places they want to see. They want to see critters (last year my daughter saw a moose at 32 years old. My other daughter saw a bear with her cub. Mama bear shoo'ed him up a tree as we paddled by, I sent my camera swimming.)

And we are back to UL weights, now. I carried 25#, my daughter carried about 23# for a ten day trip, for example.

You will find that kids need/want/expect more than an adult. This doesn't change for twenty years. Car camping with kids, is not being an impostor, it is being pragmatic. If I had to choose between the kids and going camping, I would choose the kids. Do Not feel different because you had one. Just do what you can to make both work. Both will work together, somehow. It will work out. Work is the keynote...kids are more work.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Yep on 02/26/2011 08:15:31 MST Print View

>from late April to sometime after September I'll be hiking the PCT...every day until I hit Canadia. :)

Dug, I hate you! I may get to hike a tiny section on San Jacinto this spring, but that is dependent on somebody else.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: re: yep on 02/26/2011 08:50:20 MST Print View

Haven't been camping since an overnighter on 12/31/10. The BC skiing has been too good (and it's easier to go pure powder hounding on day trips). I'm ok with that.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Feeling like an impostor these days on 02/26/2011 09:19:00 MST Print View

James...the best part about having kids and hiking is that my oldest is 13 now - he helps me a LOT with the baby (who is 11 months old). We are planning our first backpacking trip with the baby and yeah, definitely the oldest will be carrying more family gear. For years Ford and I went relatively UL as he was growing up on all our backpacking trips. I am fine with it though being heavier for a couple years. It is so fleeting!