Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Mitten shell.
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Canfield
(jcanfield) - F

Locale: Cascadia
Mitten shell. on 02/24/2011 21:02:16 MST Print View

Gore Mittens

These are a pair of mittens I made today for spring skiing/ skinning in wet conditions. They may also double as mitts for backpacking- I haven't weighed them yet!

The palms and inner thumb are some sort of kevlar which I laminated a layer of pro-shell to. The back main, outer cuff and outer thumb are also pro-shell. The tip of the mitt in orange as well as the inner cuff is pack light.

The whole shebang is seam sealed. I sure had a hard time seaming the seams in the thumb! 1/4" seam throughout, and I trimmed the seams down at the ends of the fingers/thumb.

The second pair will be all in pack light, or maybe sil. I've got some todd tex kicking around and have been looking for something to do with it, it too may make the grade.

Thanks for looking, any feedback will be appreciated! The design is based on old OR rain mitts.

Exciting closing phrase!
JC

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Mitten shell. on 02/25/2011 00:59:45 MST Print View

Super nice! I'd love a pair like that. I've had a hard time sewing mitts though, and have pretty much given up.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Mitten shell. on 02/25/2011 02:22:40 MST Print View

Some sort of Kevlar?

If I was only a skier, I could try to make something like that. Alas, I need lots of finger dexterity to manage a camera, so I end up stuck with store-bought gloves.

--B.G.--

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Camera on 02/25/2011 08:51:41 MST Print View

Bob, I'm curious what gloves you use with a camera and at what temperature range. I've found that I can handle a DSLR pretty well using windpro liner gloves under uninsulated shell mittens, but I don't think I've taken that below ~20F.

Sky Horne
(simplyalpine)

Locale: Vagabonding..
Modular Mitts on 02/25/2011 09:08:23 MST Print View

I like the concept of modular mitts but accepted awhile ago that i couldn't use my Rebel or S90 with mitts or bulky gloves. So I just bring good liners under poofy mitts.

http://store.glennsarmysurplus.com/or-mutant-modular-mitts-with-trigger-finger-p357.aspx?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase

John Canfield
(jcanfield) - F

mitten shell. on 02/25/2011 09:09:19 MST Print View

The next pair will likely be pack light, possibly mixed with sil for the gauntlets, anyone have thoughts on this?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
fingerless gloves on 02/25/2011 09:09:48 MST Print View

I leave my hands in my pockets most of the time when it's cold - don't snowshoe or ski

Made these - easy project - make sure stretchy direction is around your hand, not up and down - sew around perimiter, sew in a little closer until it fits good, cut off excess

hand

flat

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: fingerless gloves on 02/25/2011 09:15:02 MST Print View

Very good Jerry Adams!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Camera on 02/25/2011 13:00:10 MST Print View

"I'm curious what gloves you use with a camera and at what temperature range."

The first stage is when it is a little wet, but not very cold. I wear disposable vinyl gloves.

The next stage is when it is a little cold, but not very wet. I wear thin synthetic glove liners.

The next stage is when it is a little colder, like 10-20 F. I wear the thin liners with the disposable vinyl over that.

For the last stage, I put spare wool socks on over the gloves, and then the camera sits idle.

If I know that I am going to be out in sub-zero F weather, I bring along Ragg wool mitts with nylon overshells. However, I can slip them on and off quickly for camera operation.

--B.G.--

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
nice!! on 02/28/2011 12:18:43 MST Print View

John, I'm about to make some sil/pac lite mitts myself. Anyway I can see more shots of your mitt? I would love to see the seams, and how you did the thumbs. Also, could you explain your technique for lamination? Did you use a regular seam or something more complicated (french, flat felled, etc)

I think Sil would be a great idea for the cuffs...you don't really need breathability there, and it would save you an decent amount of weight, especially if you want longer gauntlets. I was thinking of doing Sil on the back of the hand, and paclite for the palm, which is more likely to be in contact with snow when I'm out in the winter. I know paclite is not that breathable in itself, so I'm a lil hesitant on going the sil/paclite combo...but I think it's worth a shot

PS: you guys really really derailed his thread

Edited by Konrad1013 on 02/28/2011 15:24:17 MST.

John Canfield
(jcanfield) - F

mitts. on 02/28/2011 22:55:44 MST Print View

Konrad,
Thanks for checking out my mitts. I have since made a second pair out of gore pack-light with the palms/inner thumb out of a second layer of pro shell. I thought the pack-light might be similar in weight to the sil, so I skipped sil.

I laminated the new pair with a heat sealing press and pack-light tape. I found a weight bag I have worked wonders for back pressure for those tricky thumb, finger curves.

I'll get more photos up as soon as possible. I am having camera problems!

I also agree the thread was derailed a bit.

Edited by jcanfield on 02/28/2011 22:56:37 MST.