Forum Index » Chaff » Ryan Jordan and Steve Jobs

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Ryan Jordan and Steve Jobs on 02/24/2011 15:42:15 MST Print View

So I heard a rumor that Ryan is going to be a guest at the Apple Event on March 2 because he's secretly been working with Apple on developing an iPad for the UL backpacking crowd. Details are sketchy, but it'll have lots of titanium, will double as a framesheet for UL packs, and has slide out 'wings' and guyline loops to act as a small, face tarp. Since, after all, if you're in a UL bivy, who needs a tarp bigger than their face?

Can't wait!

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Ryan Jordan and Steve Jobs on 02/24/2011 15:49:45 MST Print View

You forgot that you can pour dirty water in the headphone port and have it come out through the speakers, clean and purified.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Ryan Jordan and Steve Jobs on 02/24/2011 15:52:34 MST Print View

Wow, reallyy? Wonder how it integrates with the BPL store?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Ryan Jordan and Steve Jobs on 02/24/2011 17:04:47 MST Print View

It won't.
And if it did, the item will be Out of Stock.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Ryan Jordan and Steve Jobs on 02/24/2011 17:04:56 MST Print View

I'm sure it would act as a substitute for my "brick" aka Personal Locator Beacon and that it would also contain a GPS unit. For those who like to spend time reading in the tent, you could download enough books for a whole summer of reading. You could watch downloaded movies, too! That would save on shoe wear, since you'd be spending your days sitting instead of hiking (but in that case, why leave home?). Of course the earphone, in addition to filtering your water, would allow you to listen to audio books or music on the trail.

Of course its battery would hold a charge indefinitely!

Edited by hikinggranny on 02/24/2011 17:05:52 MST.

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
Ryan and Steve on 03/07/2011 14:59:04 MST Print View

>"And if it did, the item will be Out of Stock."

HA! that gave me a good laugh =D!

And I opened this thread thinking it was a comparison of Ryan Jordan and Steve Jobs... I might could see it =/

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
If Ryan Jordan gets to talk to Steve Jobs on 03/07/2011 15:14:55 MST Print View

If Ryan Jordan gets to talk to Steve Jobs, please beg Steve to have a settings option "GPS ONLY", right now the "airplane mode" shuts everything off including GPS. To turn GPS on while doing the JMT (where there is no cell reception), you have to turn off Airplane mode, then turn off "enable 3g" and then turn off "wi-fi" but the iphone is still searching for edge cell receiver (there are none and so the battery quickly drains). One wants a "GPS ONLY" mode. Then you could use your Iphone as a wilderness GPS device and camera device. It takes decent photos for a 5 mb camera.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: If Ryan Jordan gets to talk to Steve Jobs on 03/07/2011 17:36:48 MST Print View

Roleigh,

If you cannot get any reception, then how does it work as a GPS? It needs data to work as a GPS, doesn't it? Or are you just using a map? If just the map, then can't you load maps on it and use it in airplane mode?

Not be a smart ar$e here, I got an iPhone 3 weeks ago and it is getting to be pretty useful; more more so than my old Blackberry 8830. Normally I only carry 2 electric items when hiking; a watch and a headlamp. However the iPhone weighs 1 oz more than my Canon SD1200 IS that I bring once in a while, so maybe...

Another thought for you electronic folks... have you considered a 3G Kindle? Seems like you could load every map and guide needed for a PCT thru hike. Plus with the 3G you could have (painful to use) Internet. Weight is 8.3 oz.

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
iPhone & GPS on 03/07/2011 17:55:07 MST Print View

The iPhone can be used in Airplane mode, during which the GPS will not work, but one can certainly look at pictures (map, etc).

The iPhone's GPS does not require cell-service to work, but it does constantly look for a signal, which subsequently drains the battery. Maps can be used in memory, along with the GPS, but again, it cannot be in "Airplane mode" for the GPS to function. Under"normal" conditions (ie: 3G coverage) the GPS and Maps will do their thing while updating the maps via cellular data.

Indeed - the iPhone's GPS needs to work in Airplane mode to get around the battery drain problem (or carry a solar charger?).

The Kindle would be useful as electronic storage for maps, but I'd be surprised if 3G service is available on most back country trails.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: iPhone & GPS on 03/07/2011 18:05:23 MST Print View

Right about limited 3G, but one could send an email to friends and family to let them know you are still alive. Just throwing out some thoughts. I use my Kindle a lot for reading and like it. I have also played with the Kindle on the iPhone, and it is pretty darn good for that little screen, but I prefer the larger screen on the Kindle. One thing that is really cool, is if your Kindle is in Wireless mode, the Kindle application remembers the last page your viewed, should you want to change devices. This works between a computer, iPhone, and computer.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: Re: If Ryan Jordan gets to talk to Steve Jobs on 03/07/2011 18:16:25 MST Print View

Nick, apps like "ITopoMaps" let you download the map segments for where you're doing the hike ahead of time, then when you're out beyond cell reception, if your GPS is working (and yes, darn it, it will also be looking for Edge Cell Receiver but won't find it--if you have disabled 3g, disabled wi-fi (but you can't disable Edge without disabling GPS)), you'll see where you are at with just GPS reception and the prior-ahead of time downloaded map segments. Downloading the map segments is best done when you have 3G or wi-fi reception.

Tom Harrison has many of his maps, including the JMT Map Pack, available as Iphone Apps which are downloaded ahead of time, just like ITopoMaps.

I recommend everybody who wants a GPS-only mode, to bug apple. I believe sjobs@apple.com is a valid email address for Steve Jobs. I believe emails there are probably randomly read or pre-viewed by his staff.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: If Ryan Jordan gets to talk to Steve Jobs on 03/07/2011 18:23:15 MST Print View

Hmmm....

I wonder... is there a data exhange in 3G mode which goes against the monthly allotment? If so, then it might be an issue with the carrier. The new Verizon iPhones have an unlimited data plan.

Also... what if you jail break the phone? If there is that much of a demand, I bet someone has already done it.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: If Ryan Jordan gets to talk to Steve Jobs on 03/07/2011 18:38:52 MST Print View

"I believe emails there are probably randomly read or pre-viewed by his staff."

Jobs is actually pretty well known for reading, and at times replying, to his own email.