Forum Index » GEAR » Air pad instead of foam in frameless pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Air pad instead of foam in frameless pack on 02/23/2011 23:08:15 MST Print View

Who here has used an inflatable pad instead of a foam pad in the back panel of your frameless pack? I've done this a few times now with a GG Gorilla and a Kookabay pad (almost totally deflated) and it worked pretty well. I haven't seen too many others using a similar configuration, just curious who has given it a shot and what do you think? Which pack / pad combinations have you used?

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
neoir on 02/24/2011 03:01:44 MST Print View

I do it with neoair and golite ion.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Inflatable on 02/24/2011 06:04:24 MST Print View

I don't use your backpack, but:
If you have room your could partially inflate the inflatable pad and experiment.
I have tried that that and it either took up too much space or wasn't rigid enough.

I now use a 3/8 closed cell foam sit pad or two if I need to carry much weight over 15 or 20 lbs.

Scott Lehr
(lehrscott4) - F

Locale: Louisville - KY
Aircore/jam on 02/24/2011 06:12:27 MST Print View

I use a Big Agnes insulated Aircore for support in my Jam. I dont inflate it at all, just fold to the correst shape to fit the back panel. Its hekps but is far from perfect. I do sleep like a baby on that pad though.

JJ Mathes
(JMathes) - F

Locale: Southeast US
Air pad instead of foam in frameless pack on 02/24/2011 07:01:30 MST Print View

I use my inflatable pad folded inside my ULA Conduit

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Re: Air pad instead of foam in frameless pack on 02/24/2011 22:50:09 MST Print View

I also use an inflatable pad (Montbell UL90) with my Conduit. Works very well. If my pack is less full, I leave the pad a little more inflated.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Air pad instead of foam in frameless pack on 02/24/2011 22:54:57 MST Print View

I know a fair number of people who like the general combo. Never tried it myself though.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
i use an infltable pad on 02/25/2011 12:43:53 MST Print View

in my cilogear 40l. it works great and i can remove the frame sheet, but it takes up more internal space in the pack when compared to the foam bivy pad and frame sheet.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Inflatables Work on 02/25/2011 13:15:26 MST Print View

This is good to know.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: neoir on 02/25/2011 14:03:24 MST Print View

Fred said "I do it with neoair and golite ion"

<-- so do I :) folded in half lengthways and then in thirds, w/ just a wee bit of air in it

Photobucket

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Good to know on 03/07/2011 10:37:45 MST Print View

Seems like it's not that uncommon after all.

My observation has been the same as others, works ok for moderate loads, not so much for heavy loads... and takes up some more room vs. sit pad (etc...). The vertical rigidity of the air pad can actually be quite good with just a tiny bit of air in it (assuming baffles are oriented vertically).

I'm going to give it a try with a Jam pretty soon and see how it goes.

Steve Scarborough
(zehnmm) - F

Locale: southern New Mexico
Neoair + Conduit on 03/07/2011 10:42:10 MST Print View

Partially inflated regular Neoair in my Conduit works for me.

Douglas Raymond
(Dougr320) - F

Locale: Indy
re on 09/15/2011 10:22:49 MDT Print View

I was just wondering this myself, I recently picked up a neo air small and love it compared to the ole closed cell foam

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Air pad instead of foam in frameless pack on 09/15/2011 10:53:35 MDT Print View

I believe ULA now has a pack that uses the Klymit air mattress as its frame.