Havasupai Replacement Advice Needed
Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter Griffith
(petergriffith) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Havasupai Replacement Advice Needed on 02/23/2011 14:12:03 MST Print View

I'm leading our Boy Scout troop to Havasupai in early April. I just found out that Havasupai is closed to visitors until May 1st due to flood damage from rains last year. I have 28 people signed up to go and now I need to find a new location.

I'm looking for ideas where I can take 20-30 scouts & adults on a 20 or so mile backpack over three days, two nights in early April. We are based in Orange County, Southern California, so it has to be within a one day drive. The Sierras and local mountains will still have lots of snow, so they're out. We've been to Joshua Tree and Anza Borrego many times. We're looking for something new. I've checked Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce and all have limits on group size much smaller than 20. Any other ideas?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Havasupai Replacement Advice Needed on 02/23/2011 14:22:30 MST Print View

Here's an idea. Death Valley.

The desert floor of Death Valley gets incredibly hot, even around April. However, there is the high country, and it goes all the way up into snow country on Telescope Peak. You could check with NPS to see what they recommend. Your whole trip would be centered on where you can find water. There are actually some large springs in the park, but you have to know where they are.

Further, many spots in Death Valley have deep history, and that could be worthwhile. I'm talking about places other than the Barker Ranch.

--B.G.--

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Los Padres on 02/23/2011 15:10:24 MST Print View

Peter,

you didn't mention Los Padres as one of the areas you have been often with your troop.
There are lots of camping and backpacking options to choose from.

Manfred

Edited by Orienteering on 02/23/2011 15:17:20 MST.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Havasupai Replacement Advice Needed on 02/23/2011 18:08:10 MST Print View

What about going as two separate groups, to Grand Canyon?

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Havasupai Replacement Advice Needed on 02/23/2011 19:09:52 MST Print View

I've never been to either, so take these suggestions with a grain of salt. Maybe someone else can comment about backpacking there. Also, I'm just looking by distance, so it would be worth looking at daytime/nighttime temps for each in late April.

1. The Superstition Mountains/WIlderness outside Phoenix.

2. Saguaro National Park. Maybe too far, but, hey, it's a National Park.

Peter Griffith
(petergriffith) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re: Havasupai Replacement Advice Needed on 02/23/2011 23:16:22 MST Print View

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll check them out. Any other cool areas that can accommodate a group?