Forum Index » Gear Deals » Cuben Fiber Drybags and Titanium Ti-Eye Stakes Instock

Display Avatars Sort By:
Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Cuben Fiber Drybags and Titanium Ti-Eye Stakes Instock on 02/23/2011 13:17:57 MST Print View

My Cuben Fiber Drybags and Titanium Ti-Eye tent stakes are back in stock, plus I have added quite a bit of other products as well.

Thanks,
Lawson

Mountainfitter.com

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
nice on 02/23/2011 13:31:55 MST Print View

Website is looking good.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Thanks! on 02/23/2011 13:49:44 MST Print View

Thanks. Its been a learning process but I am starting to pick it up. Now if I could just figure out the whole SEO thing.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Thanks! on 02/23/2011 14:05:37 MST Print View

SEO - link to your site from here

Ismail Faruqi
(ismailfaruqi) - F
Pack Liner? on 02/23/2011 15:14:15 MST Print View

When would those be available?

William Brown
(MatthewBrown) - F

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns
Tuff Stuff on 02/23/2011 17:03:37 MST Print View

I have been using Lawson's bags on multiple trips since Thanksgiving and can say they are "bomber kit." His bags have helped me drop an entire pound of my base weight. Good stuff.

Kevin Lutz
(mtntrailrunner) - F
Dual use as a pillow? on 02/23/2011 17:35:30 MST Print View

I would like to experiment with one of those cuben bags as a pillow. If the seams are air tight and the top can be rolled tightly it may be able to hold air all night.

Has anyone tried this? If so what size did you use? I carry a Montbell pillow now but this could save me a few ounces.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
stake bags on 02/23/2011 18:00:22 MST Print View

Lawson- were you going to be offering stake bags? "regular" size will work :)

thanks

Mike

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
kevin on 02/23/2011 19:14:29 MST Print View

i've had the same thoughts about the pillow. let me know what you decide to do!
thanks

Kevin Lutz
(mtntrailrunner) - F
Josh..... on 02/23/2011 20:04:29 MST Print View

Just pulled the trigger on a 12x20. Pillow or not, I can use it for my down quilt when the weather looks bad. I will try it as a pillow in the comfort of my bedroom and then report back here.

Forbes Belk
(ForbesB) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Cuben Drybags on 02/23/2011 21:21:18 MST Print View

I've been using 2 of Lawson's drybags for my Palisade Quilt and Daybreak Jacket for my last 2 trips. They've both functioned perfectly including when my pack took an unexpected slide down an embankment into a creek.

Also, Lawson is a pleasure to do business with... I'd highly recommend him to anyone debating.

Peter Longobardi
(paintplongo) - F

Locale: Hopefully on the Trail
pillow on 02/24/2011 06:38:47 MST Print View

You'll want to put a T-Shirt over it otherwise you might sweat a ton. Also, if they hold water out, they better hold air out...

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Pillow on 02/24/2011 09:54:36 MST Print View

The drybags were not designed to work as a pillow. They will hold air for a while but they are by no means 100% airtight..Its part the material and part the rolltop type closure. A guy emailed me and asked this exact question a few weeks back. His concern was if they are not airtight then how are they watertight??? This has to do with the size of a water molecule vs. an air molecule. I am not sure exactly but a water molecule is something like 10,000 times bigger then an air molecule. This is the reason eVent and Gore Tex works..

Thanks,
Lawson

Edited by Mountainfitter on 02/24/2011 09:55:25 MST.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
great product on 02/24/2011 17:40:29 MST Print View

I picked up 3 sets of his package deal on these bags and love them.

I have no idea if they will hold air all night but I do know you have to be particular about how you roll your quilt in one to get all the air out as you compress it, or you will have a big balloon.

Cedric Yip
(nicced) - F

Locale: Hong Kong
cuben packliner on 02/24/2011 19:41:49 MST Print View

Hi Lawson, when will the Packliner available? I want to order it with other items

Edited by nicced on 02/24/2011 19:42:35 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Pillow on 02/24/2011 19:45:24 MST Print View

Actually, they work great as pillows! You just have to have something in them... ;-) But I really like the feel of cuben against the skin. It's actually kinda soft. Whenever I wear my cuben undershorts I feel like I'm eating a York Peppermint Pattie. Oooh, oooh.......

Dug Shelby
(Pittsburgh) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Awesome stuff on 02/24/2011 19:52:01 MST Print View

I've got a set of Lawsons dry bags, actually just made a video review of them that I'll be posting on YouTube.

Love the bags. Looking forward to the bag liner as well.

Greg Geiger
(ghgeiger) - F

Locale: Appalachian Trail
Tent Stakes on 02/25/2011 09:52:25 MST Print View

I just received the 7" Titanium Stakes. These are my first titanium stakes and they are shockingly light. They look great and will suit my needs perfectly.

Some observations:

The tip is conical--pointed like a pencil. I like this much better than the standard angle cut.

The average weight of each stake 7.04 grams.

The width of each stake measures exactly one eighth of an inch on my caliper (.125" or 3.18mm). A little wider than stated, but I view this as a bonus.

The length is measured at 7" from the tip to the top of the eyelet.

The eyelet was smaller than expected, I'm measuring it at .43" ID, perpendicular to the length of the stake. I can't think of any way that this is a bad thing, the eyelets are just smaller than I expected.

Lawson, thanks for making such a great product for such a good price!

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Dry bag video, tent stakes on 02/25/2011 11:38:00 MST Print View

I ordered Lawson's last two 8" stakes, and some of the 7" stakes.

I don't need many when using a method similar to the one Stephen described in his "Another method to secure a shelter," post (see Tents for tent platform (N.E.) camping).

Another Method

So far I always manage to dig up some kind of rocks, but sometimes it's not easy to find sticks. These stakes are light enough to carry a few without adding a lot of extra weight. The eyelet design is a big plus, too.

I also ordered the package deal for the drybags. Dug, will you post a link to your video when it's available?

edited to embed link

Edited by DianaV on 02/25/2011 12:08:53 MST.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

More Drybags Instock on 03/14/2011 11:07:18 MDT Print View

I have some more drybags in stock. I have changed the sizes and prices around a bit but the construction is still the same. I have quite a bit of 8x16's and 12x24's ready to ship and I am finishing up more 6x12's and 10x20's today and tomorrow and they should be updated on my site when they are ready to go. I am working on keeping these in stock at all times but I will probably run out of stock one more time before this happens so those of you who have been waiting on them to come in stock please get them while you can.

Also I wanted to note order tracking on my website is now 99% completed but I still have one tiny link issue to sort out. In the mean time you can track your order by logging into your account, viewing your order and then copying and pasting the tracking number onto USPS.com website.

Thanks,
Lawson

Mountainfitter.com

Edited by Mountainfitter on 03/14/2011 11:13:09 MDT.