Tents for tent platform (N.E.) camping
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Tents for tent platform (N.E.) camping on 02/24/2011 11:01:34 MST Print View

To take what Steven and Konrad illustrated, tie a line to you corners, tie a small stick (or stake) in the middle, drop the stick thru a crack in platform, and pull it tight. That may have been what Konrad said, I went by it pretty fast. I'd probably just run guylines from the corners, and stick a tent stake in the dirt at the edge of the platform. Use a taut line hitch, and pull the corners out tight.

Edited by skinewmexico on 02/24/2011 11:02:37 MST.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Not an all-or-nothing proposition ... on 02/24/2011 18:20:34 MST Print View

Rather than thinking of this as "freestanding versus not freestanding", I suggest that you consider tents that require a minimal number of stakes (rather than simply "none").

Two that come immediately to my mind are the Lightheart Gear tents, and the Tarptent Moment --- both just need two stakes at either end to hold the structure rigid. Though you likely want to guy out a bit more, the same can be said of true free-standing tents as well.

In my limited experience (walked through that area last year and camped on a couple of those $#%^*! platforms), just requiring a couple of stakes for structural integrity would work fine on a platform.

victor larivee
(vlarivee) - MLife

Locale: white mountains
tent length on 02/24/2011 18:42:23 MST Print View

Looking at the light heart im a little concerned with the length. Not sure if it will fit on some of the platforms.