Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Katabatic Sawatch 15 Quilt and Crestone Hood Review

Display Avatars Sort By:
john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Relative savings on 03/04/2011 16:25:53 MST Print View

John,

I used the term "relative" to relate the savings of a quilt nominally 52 inches wide over a bag nominally 62 inches wide and having a zipper when all other things, ie type material, same fill, same loft are equal...The quilt will weigh less by proportion.

Pan

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Relative savings on 03/08/2011 11:11:27 MST Print View

"I used the term "relative" to relate the savings of a quilt nominally 52 inches wide over a bag nominally 62 inches wide and having a zipper when all other things, ie type material, same fill, same loft are equal...The quilt will weigh less by proportion."

That's very true. A lot of the folks on the Kilimanjaro trip two weeks ago were surprised at how light my Blackwelder was -- most of the zero-degree bags on the trip weighed close to 4 pounds.

It was plenty warm. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a zero-degree bag. I used it with a Crestone hood.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
Sawatch on 02/11/2012 18:27:34 MST Print View

I don't own a Sawatch quilt but I slept in one. The clips are well worth getting used to; I'm a cold sleeper and they stop the drafts and make it very close to sleeping in a bag. I compared the Sawatch to 15 degree Marmot Helium. The Sawatch was quite a bit warmer, it had more loft and was cut narrower. I'm 44" at the chest; it was regular Sawatch. The Helium had more comfort, the roomy cut meant it didn't heat up as fast in warmer weather but it also 32 oz instead of 24 oz and you can always let the quilt drap over you without the clips/snaps. The quality of Sawatch is top of the line, bar none. Quilts are great just because you can seal the warmth in at your neck and no condensation from your breath gets in the bag.

Edited by anthonyweston on 02/11/2012 18:53:04 MST.

Kenneth Lotts
(aa7jc) - MLife

Locale: SE AZ
Good Gear on 06/23/2012 19:16:52 MDT Print View

I bought this quilt a month ago for a trip into the Absoroka-Beartooth Wilderness. The trip got cut short but I did use the quilt for about 8 nights just car camping. I am 5'9" and weigh about 160.

I was a bit worried based on the comments in the review that the quilt would be annoyingly narrow but when it arrived I was relieved that it was more than adequate for me. On the trip I never even bothered to use the supplied clips.

The only thing I can say negative is that it is very pricey but on the flip side, it is very well made and well designed.. I did not feel cheated.

Again this is good gear.