Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition

Display Avatars Sort By:
Patrick Starich
(pjstarich) - MLife

Locale: N. Rocky Mountains
Re: Re: Trail Runners, Age, Weight, etc. on 02/26/2011 10:07:59 MST Print View

I'm 54, 5'11' and weighed 178 prior to the trip. My skin out weight was 11.5 pounds (7.5 in the pack and 4.0 worn/carried). 11 pounds of food plus some group gear and water brought my pack up to about 24 pounds on the first day. So the total weight on my feet the first day was about 206 pounds and about 195 on the last day. Trail shoes are fine for this type of load. I wore Salomon 3D XA-Pro trail runners with CEP/Medi(http://www.mediusa.com/sports.html)compression trekking socks and compression shorts to improve endurance and reduce fatigue. Feather-weight ankle gaiters (www.dirtygirlgaiters.com) help keep small pebbles and duff out of the low-cut trail shoes. After the trip I replaced the Salomons with Inov-8 RocLite 295's with "grippier" tread. I have done a few weekend trips with them, but haven't had them in a long distance off-trail situation.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Trail Runners, Age, Weight, etc. on 02/26/2011 20:24:46 MST Print View

Patrick, thanks. Dan, your comments are much appreciated too. Patrick, I will definitely take a look at the shoes-n-socks you so kindly pointed out. Thank you all for allowing the thread to get off the beaten path. I do appreciate it. And I do very much appreciate these trip reports. They allow me to get out even more and learn from such a large community.

Doug, thanks for sharing your gear list. Very informative.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Teton Crest 2010 on 02/28/2011 18:26:28 MST Print View

Another place added to my long list of places to go. Sigh... Thanks for the report, guys!

I didn't realize until the end of the report that it was one of the BPL WT class groups. Is that right? I hope there are a lot more of those courses in the future. And more reports from them. Good times!

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Teton Crest 2010 on 02/28/2011 18:35:16 MST Print View

This was an optional trip, put together by the students in an online planning course. The trip itself was not part of the actual course.

Steven Nelson
(slnsf) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Video, Music on 03/01/2011 11:02:00 MST Print View

Damien - great video, really capturing the joy of the trip.

A question: can you post the names of the songs you used? The groups are mentioned in the credits, but it would be nice to know the titles/albums, too. Excellent choices.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Teton Crest 2010 on 03/01/2011 11:43:24 MST Print View

"This was an optional trip, put together by the students in an online planning course. The trip itself was not part of the actual course."

This was very clear to all of us from the beginning. We simply enjoyed the planning process so much that we all decided to follow through with our plan on our own. Very glad we did!

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: Re: Re: Teton Crest 2010 on 03/01/2011 14:49:48 MST Print View

Ah, okay. Well, it's still a darn good end to the course, even if it was optional. The more the merrier!

Damien Tougas
(dtougas) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Gaspé Peninsula
Re: Video, Music on 03/02/2011 05:24:35 MST Print View

Steven,

Glad you enjoyed the music! It turns out that I got one of the artist names wrong in the credits... actually I had originally used the one listed there (Metric), but decided to swap-out the song and forgot to change it. Here are the names of the artists and songs (listed in the order they are played):

- Brandi Carlile - Gone
- Afro Celt Sound System - Seed
- Sigur Ros - Saeglopur
- Filter - Take a Picture

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 03/04/2011 18:49:35 MST Print View

So I have to ask...why does Ryan have the largest (heaviest?) pack?? Never thought I'd see that.
Tom

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Re: Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 03/04/2011 19:23:32 MST Print View

Ryan carried a CiloGear NWD 60L pack which is 3.5 lbs before any stripping. Knowing Ryan, it was probably 2 lbs or so after his work on it.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 03/04/2011 19:40:39 MST Print View

"So I have to ask...why does Ryan have the largest (heaviest?) pack?? Never thought I'd see that."

He had to carry my stuff. I'm a wuss.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 03/04/2011 20:05:17 MST Print View

Doug, that's funny!!

chuck w
(kcwins) - F

Locale: WY
T's on 05/01/2011 16:48:01 MDT Print View

I've been spending 10 days or so there every year for a while now and can still never get enough. The Cathedral Group (North and South Fork Cascade Canyon) are awesome! However, the North end of the park is seldom seen by others. Moose Basin Divide, Bitch Creek ......beautyful. Just North off Grassy Lake Rd. you will find what was formally known as the "Huckleberry Hot Springs" Great place to soak.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 02/20/2012 15:00:41 MST Print View

It appears you averaged 8-9 mpd. I assume that was a very easy pace given the terrain and gorgeous weather you had. How do you think you would have been affected by snow at passes or on some ridges? I'm working on a similar route this summer as early as late June. I'd also assume water availability shouldn't be as much a problem June-Aug. How much water were you typically carrying?

Patrick Starich
(pjstarich) - MLife

Pace, Snow, Water, Rock on 02/20/2012 17:08:43 MST Print View

That's about right...we could have easily managed 12-15 miles per day...but the spectacular vistas demanded a slower pace ;)

Snow is not a problem in late summer. If present, it would certainly would slow you down a bit. Early spring (April - May) conditions may require snowshoes.

Water was hard to find in late August on the northern end of the range due to porous, permeable sedimentary rock at the surface. We descended nearly 1,000 ft at the end of the first day to find water. Many of the small creeks and ponds in that (north) part of the range are seasonal and we found them bone dry in August. We each carried 2-3 litres where water was scarce. Once you walk into the crystalline igneous core of the central part of the range, water is abundant at all elevations. It's not a bad idea to review the local geology to determine the nature of the surface rock and its capacity to trap surface water along your route.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Pace, Snow, Water, Rock on 02/20/2012 19:10:05 MST Print View

> It's not a bad idea to review the local geology to determine the nature of the surface rock and its capacity to trap surface water along your route.

I suspect not many of us have the geological knowledge you do. :) I know we have similar issues with the karst topography in Indiana. At what point on your route would you say that transition takes place (or is there some site that maps it)? Sounds like it may be worth staying a bit lower on the northern end (or carrying 4 liters perhaps).

Also, was there any particular reason for exiting at Phelps instead of the "normal" WY 22? Not enough off-trail perhaps?

Edited by topshot on 02/21/2012 06:45:17 MST.

Patrick Starich
(pjstarich) - MLife

Re: Pace, Snow, Water, Rock on 02/21/2012 20:34:50 MST Print View

Unfortunately, one member of our group was unable to complete the trek and left the trip at the trailhead on Badger Creek. Diverting to this exit point on the fourth day forced us to adjust our exit point to Phelps Lake.