Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 02/22/2011 14:11:44 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Teton Crest Exped: Thank You on 02/22/2011 15:10:19 MST Print View

To my companions on this trek:

Thank you. I had a glorious time in your company.

Y'all are hardcore in my book. I'd hike with you anytime.

RJ

Damien Tougas
(dtougas) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Gaspé Peninsula
Unforgettable on 02/22/2011 16:13:22 MST Print View

The trip is firmly imprinted on my mind, I will never forget what a great time I had out there with you guys. My big toe has almost finished healing ;-)

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Epic on 02/22/2011 17:00:32 MST Print View

Looks like an epic adventure. Great pictures too. I'm loving the recent BPL emphasis on trip reports. Just out of curiosity, was that a circus tent you guys were sharing? How did that work out?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 02/22/2011 17:25:06 MST Print View

'Twas the trip of a lifetime. The echos of 'red light, red light' will be with me forever.... ;-)

Truly a great group of people to hike with, who kindly put up with my constant attempts at humor and exceptionally colorful language. Thanks guys!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Epic on 02/22/2011 17:27:31 MST Print View

"was that a circus tent you guys were sharing"

Nope. I believe it was one of the GoLite Shangri-La tents. Perhaps the 6-person?

I took the opportunity to sleep out under the stars in my bivy. And we had incredible luck with the weather, every night was a clear or fairly clear sky chock-full of stars!

Philip Delvoie
(PhilipD) - MLife

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 02/22/2011 18:53:50 MST Print View

Great report guys. Looks like it was an awesome trip.

Jake Willits
(TrailSavvy) - MLife

Locale: Arkansas Ozarks
TR: '10TCE on 02/22/2011 19:21:46 MST Print View

Amazing report! It reads like poetry and the pictures made me drool. More!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: TR: '10TCE on 02/22/2011 20:01:06 MST Print View

The kudos go to Pat for the story. He wrote it, we just tweaked. I love the way he blends the geology of the region within the story. He brought this really cool map he printed out (and we're talking large here, not some 8.5x11) with the geology of the region, including the geologic history, and gave us an impromptu history and geology lesson during one of the breaks. It was fascinating and really added to the trip!

Damien Tougas

Geology on 02/22/2011 20:27:45 MST Print View

Yeah, I got a serious geology education out of this trip, that was for sure. I never met someone (Pat) so passionate about rocks... it was cool.

I tried sleeping under the stars one night. The moon was so bright that it was like a flashlight in my face. I don't know how you did it Doug.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 02/22/2011 20:47:37 MST Print View

The picture of the day 4 camp is stunning...

Patrick Starich
(pjstarich) - MLife

Locale: N. Rocky Mountains
Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 02/22/2011 21:12:45 MST Print View

A great hike with some great companions.
A week of exceptional weather.
A challenging off trail route.
A beautiful "chunk" of North America.

What more could anyone ask for?

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Trip reports rock on 02/22/2011 22:16:52 MST Print View

x2. Thanks for doing it (the trip) and then putting all the hard work of making it into a narrative. Makes me want to hang with guys with off-trail skills. Thats how you bring home the bacon getting all those views and brilliant experiences. BTW, did all of you wear trail runners? That was some very challenging terrain, especially those back-bone ridges. Wow.

Christopher Mills
(Hiker816) - MLife

Locale: Denver
Re: Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 02/22/2011 23:00:37 MST Print View

Great article! Sorry if I missed this, but what pack is Ryan Jordan carrying in that video? It looks like a combo of woven dyneema and cuben fiber.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Re: Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 02/23/2011 04:22:59 MST Print View

IIRC, Ryan used a Cilo Gear NWD pack (maybe the 45 he had for sale).

Edited by simplespirit on 02/23/2011 04:24:36 MST.

Damien Tougas

Trail Runners on 02/23/2011 04:57:29 MST Print View

All of us but one wore trail runners. No problems handling the terrain, although a couple of the pairs of trail runners were looking pretty worn by the end.

I was wearing a pair of brand new GoLite Amp Lites which had some sole durability issues.

Doug was wearing a new pair of Inov-8 Flyroc 310s which had the stitching wear through due to the rocks. I would recommend going over all exposed stitching with Seam Grip on any shoe with exposed stitching to try to prevent this problem.

Ryan was wearing a pair of Inov-8 X-Talon 212s which seemed to do well, except for some cosmetic damage.

I can't remember what the other two guys were wearing.

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition on 02/23/2011 05:46:29 MST Print View

Gentlemen, well done. Your journal pulls me into your hike. The power of your experience comes to life with seeking the high route, struggling to locate water, and being worn out on trail breakfasts.

Damien, your video is another dimension. As well as the hike, the music choices are captivating.

Together, the article and video create a high impact story.

This article is a great example of what I enjoy at Backpacking Light. Thanks for bringing the rest of us along.

Edited by flyfast on 02/23/2011 13:43:05 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Very nice! on 02/23/2011 05:57:52 MST Print View

Nice report, beautiful pictures, good story and looks like great company! Thanks for sharing.

ps. The sequential pictures in the "video" do such a nice job of giving us an idea of the terrain you covered and your movement.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/23/2011 06:07:52 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition" on 02/23/2011 06:58:42 MST Print View

Wow! This was a quality read, the photographs captured your words and the experience very well. Thanks guys for putting this together.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
teton crest on 02/23/2011 07:36:52 MST Print View

Well done!

Added to the list of to-dos.