Forum Index » Winter Hiking » down air mattress

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
down air mattress on 10/06/2006 11:55:06 MDT Print View

I just picked up an Exped Down Air Mattress (great deal at SAC).

All they had left was a "short" which is torso-length (43"). My question is whether this is going to work or not since my lower legs and feet won't have the benefit of the down insulation under them. I plan to use my pack or spare clothes under my feet.

Anybody using a short DAM? How has that worked? I'm planning to use this in moderately cold temperatures (0-32F) on snow.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
Re: down air mattress on 10/06/2006 20:58:13 MDT Print View

I think you'll be real happy with this setup, I used it all winter last season. If you do it just right you can put your boots under your legs with a partially filled pack.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Add a small foam pad on 10/12/2006 11:01:10 MDT Print View

I use the P.O.E. max-thermo (synthetic filled air mattress) that is 48" long (15 oz.) and use a 24" long piece of foam, and other camp debris, under my legs. Foam doubles as seat and stiffener in my backpack.

I find the setup to be a good mix of comfort and weight savings.

Frank Deland
(rambler) - M

Locale: On the AT in VA
filling a down filled mattress on 11/14/2006 08:14:15 MST Print View

Is it dificult to fill those mattresses?
Do you have to carry a pump? I heard that just blowing your breath into them will moisten the down.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: filling a down filled mattress on 11/14/2006 09:56:36 MST Print View

Some/most down air mattresses come with a pump, sometimes serving dual use as the stuff bag. E.g., Exped (click "Details.")

Filling them is often mentioned to be a bit of pain, taking 2-5 minutes.

Edited by Otter on 11/14/2006 09:58:44 MST.

evan freeman
(climberevan) - F

Locale: western colorado
Exped pads on 11/27/2006 18:39:19 MST Print View

i have 2 of the Downmat 7 mats. inflation is a bit of a pain, but it's just as fast with the stuffsack as breathing into it would be, and doesn't introduce moisture/weight. getting the stuffsack attached to the valve takes a little practice...

sleeping on the thing is absolute bliss--the most comfortable pad i've used, and i cannot even begin to detect the snow under me. 3/4 length is great--just put your pack or other misc crap under your feet and lower legs and you'll be fine.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Exped pads on 11/27/2006 18:59:41 MST Print View

my wife and I both have them for snow camping. Tad bit heavy but warm and verrrryyyy comfortable. Good night sleep is at hand with these wonderful pads~!~

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
down air mattress on 11/27/2006 22:11:17 MST Print View

How are they for summer and fall use?

Big Agnes has a questionable reputation for quality of their air pads so don't want to go there.

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: down air mattress on 11/27/2006 22:23:14 MST Print View

I love the downmat. Warmest pad I've used. Kind of a hassle to inflate with the bag but it only takes a minute or two extra. Much warmer than the Big Agnes Insulated Aircore (although I've used one of those a lot and have had zero issues- it's just not as warm as the downmat).

I find the downmat to be too warm for summer use. But my wife loves it nearly year-round here in the Pacific Northwest.

I just can't wait to see the Pacific Outdoor (POE) Aerogel pad- seems that it will raise the bar for insulation (but I sure doubt it will beat the downmat for comfort!)

Edited by djohnson on 11/27/2006 22:24:16 MST.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Re: down air mattress on 11/27/2006 23:52:24 MST Print View

>> I just can't wait to see the Pacific Outdoor (POE) Aerogel pad- seems that it will raise the bar for insulation (but I sure doubt it will beat the downmat for comfort!)

Hi Doug-

I've been testing one for the past month. Expect a full review after I can get it out in some seriously cold weather.... ;-)

R K
(oiboyroi) - M

Locale: South West US
POE Hyper-High Mtn...availability? on 11/28/2006 02:09:59 MST Print View

Michael,

Any idea when these (the hyper-high pads) will hit the market?

Thanks,

Roy

Edited by oiboyroi on 11/28/2006 06:17:10 MST.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: POE Hyper-High Mtn...availability? on 11/28/2006 10:39:55 MST Print View

>> Any idea when these (the hyper-high pads) will hit the market?

Roy-

The latest info from POE is that it will be available around January 2007.

Cheers,

-Mike

Edited by MikeMartin on 11/28/2006 11:16:49 MST.

R K
(oiboyroi) - M

Locale: South West US
Re: POE Hyper-High Mtn...availability? on 11/29/2006 00:52:39 MST Print View

Mike,

Thank you for the quick response. Looking forward to the review.

Cheers,

Roy

Denis Walsh
(kd7kgc) - F

Locale: Northern Rockies
Down Mat on 12/15/2006 18:44:52 MST Print View

I bought an Exped Down Mat 7, about 3 weeks ago. I've only had a chance to use it twice so far. It is wonderfully warm and comfortable! When it's cold outside, you can roll and move around without being cold. I'm going out again this weekend to try my winter sleep system, and I'm confident the mat will be good. Don't know about the bags yet. Expensive but worth it.