Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
ULA Ohm Compression modification- No sew, LineLoc 3's, and 5-minutes time.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
ULA Ohm Compression modification- No sew, LineLoc 3's, and 5-minutes time. on 02/22/2011 07:33:47 MST Print View

I love my ULA Ohm, it's a simple ruck that balances durability, minimalism and functionality, weight, load transfer, comfort, and volume very well- fitting within my criterion of a simple lightweight piece of kit.

For anyone who uses the Ohm, you may or may not share my slight frustrations with what I view as a minor 'achilles heel' in the design of the pack- lateral compression cord slippage. While on trips I've found that I have to- sporadically throughout the day- reapply compression to my pack load due to the static compression cordage slipping through the small cordlock affixed to the top of the ruck on each side. Like many of you, I prefer a secure pack load that rides tight and compact, the efficiency of my kit always seems to play into the rhythm of my day on the trail.

What was my solution to ending the compression cord slipping through the cordlocks on the sides of my ULA Ohm?

Cut the little buggers off.

I came up with a simple answer that required no sewing and took 5 minutes start to finish. It's not the prettiest solution but it works very well and cost $1.25 for the LineLocs.

Materials:
- LineLoc 3 Line Adjusters w/ Loops (x2) can be purchased by Joe Valesko or made.
- utility scissors or Dremel
- celebratory pint of beer... any excuse of course

Step 1:

Locate the small cordlock at the top of the pack, follow your finger up the zigzagging pattern of yellow cord that runs up the side of the pack if this helps.

IMG_2260

Step 2:

Once you locate the cordlock, carefully with a pair of utility scissors or Dremel tool remove the plastic cordlocks from both sides of the pack with extra care ***NOT*** to cut the sewn cord loop that the cordlock runs through- we will run the LineLoc 3 adjusters through this loop (see image below).

IMG_2262

Step 3:

Grab 2 LineLoc Adjusters w/ Loops available through Z-packs.com if you're sewing inept as I am... or simply grab a small run of grosgrain and fashion your own if you have extra LineLoc 3's lying around.

IMG_2268

Step 4:

Run the LineLoc adjuster through the stock loop where the cordlock was previously attached to. Repeat this on both sides.

IMG_2270

Step 5:

Once you've done that, loop the LineLoc adjuster through itself and pull tight.

IMG_2281

IMG_2282

Step 6:

That's basically it, all this is left is to run the compression cord through the LineLoc 3 adjusters. Most of us are familiar with how the LineLoc 3's work, but in case you forgot, the cord runs under the LineLoc 3 adjuster and back through so that you can pull single handed.

IMG_2284

Step 7:

Reapply compression by pulling on the free end of cord exiting the LineLoc, you should now have no slipping of the compression cord whatsoever, effectively solving the problem of slipping compression by eliminating the cordlocks that were never fully up for the task.

IMG_2285

Step 8:

Repeat on the opposite side all the above steps.

IMG_2289

IMG_2287

Done. Slip free, holds fast, tight compression.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: ULA Ohm Compression modification- No sew, LineLoc 3's, and 5-minutes time. on 02/22/2011 09:03:55 MST Print View

" It's not the prettiest solution"

Pretty, up for debate. But elegant, definitely!

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: ULA Ohm Compression modification- No sew, LineLoc 3's, and 5-minutes time. on 02/22/2011 12:32:02 MST Print View

I just tie a slipknot. The knot prevents it from sliding through the grommet and a simple tug unties the knot. My gripe is what to do with all the extra cord.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"ULA Ohm Compression modification- No sew, LineLoc 3's, and 5-minutes time." on 02/23/2011 07:07:03 MST Print View

Jeff,

I hadn't thought of a simple slip knot, those guys always elude my mind. I too don't know what to do with the excess, typically I tuck the hanging cord inside the back mesh pocket- cutting a few inches off probably wouldn't hurt.

Pilate de Guerre
(deGuerre) - F

Locale: SE, USA
Eugene on 02/27/2011 10:13:07 MST Print View

Eugene, I like your solution. Sewing and knot tying have never been my forte.