November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
DIY Soda bottle to water filter adapter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Greg Geiger
(ghgeiger) - F

Locale: Appalachian Trail
DIY Soda bottle to water filter adapter on 02/21/2011 13:14:06 MST Print View

I've recently been convinced to give up my hydration bladder to drop a few ounces of weight. I have not yet, however, been convinced to give up my water filter. It's worth it to me to carry a few extra ounces in order to have (nearly) instant clean water. One of the nice aspects to using my bladder with my gravity filter was that I could just connect the bladder tube straight into the clean side of my filter with no mess. Filling up a soda bottle is easy enough, but it would be nice if I could set the bottle down without having to worry about it falling over or the hose falling out. Here's what I came up with:

At my local hardware store I found a 1/2" male threaded to 1/4" barbed fitting for $1 that fit the inside of a soda bottle with just a little bit of wiggle. I wrapped the threaded end with teflon tape, it took about 9 or 10 wraps to get it to just perfectly slide into the hole for a perfect seal. I then drilled a small hole in the top of the fitting as an air relief.

It works perfectly and weighs in at just under 7 grams. Here's some pics of the result:

Adapter - Top View
Adapter - Side View
Adapter on bottle