Forum Index » GEAR » Mora #2/0 Knife 1.8oz/50g

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Mora #2/0 Knife 1.8oz/50g on 02/19/2011 18:10:57 MST Print View

We took a quick escape trip to the San Juan islands over the last couple days and stopped off at the town of Anacortes on the way home. I visited the Marine Supply and Hardware store (http://www.marinesupplyandhardware.com/default.asp) on the main street and found a glass case full of knives and tools and they had a small selection of Mora knives from Sweden.

I have owned a few Mora's and I have an Allround stainless model with a molded plastic handle. I had been looking at web listings for one of the very traditional wood-handled models and they had a couple in the case at the store. The one in the photo below is a #2/0 model with a 3" carbon steel blade, painted wood handle and an ambidextrous plastic belt sheath. It weighs just 1.8oz/50g with the sheath and was $11.50. I put it alongside a 91mm frame Victorinox Swiss Army knife for scale. It is a good size for food prep and making tinder and small kindling for a fire. The blade is not stainless and needs to be kept dry and isn't the best choice for salt water environments. It is easy to sharpen. They make a similar model with a finger guard if you prefer that.

Mora #2/0 knife

Chris Hanson
(ChrisHanson) - F

Locale: Eastern Wyoming
Re: Mora Knife on 02/19/2011 19:47:13 MST Print View

That's what I carry and I think it is a great all around knife. The Scandi beveled edge is easy to sharpen. The high carbon steel keeps a decent edge.

The tang doesn't go all the way through so you can't do any heavy duty baton splitting with it, but I really don't have the need to do that anyway.

I keep it around my neck with a piece of paracord so it is always handy.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Re: Mora Knife on 02/19/2011 19:50:10 MST Print View

Chris. What do you use as a break-away with your paracord? Love my Mora, a trusted friend.

McLane Stone
(mstone) - F
Which island? on 02/19/2011 22:38:54 MST Print View

Dale,

Which island(s)? I grew up on Orcas. My family is still there though I'm currently in NJ. I'm extremely jealous of your trip. There is nothing like catching a breeze off the Straight of Juan de Fuca with a light rain falling down. It's a very special place for me. Also, gotta love Mora!

McLane

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Which island? on 02/19/2011 23:12:54 MST Print View

We usually go to Friday Harbor, but I had some business in Eastsound on Orcas, so we made an overnight escape trip out of it. This is the view I was subjected to from our hotel this morning:

Eastsound, Orcas Island, Washington

It was chilly. We went up Mount Constitution yesterday afternoon to find light snow on the road and frost on the trees. The view is to the south from the old CCC tower.

Mount Constitution, Orcas Island, Washington

Mount Baker was out in full glory from from the ferry in Rosario Strait this afternoon:

Mount Baker, Washington from Rosario Strait

Edited by dwambaugh on 02/19/2011 23:13:38 MST.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Mora Classic #2 on 02/21/2011 09:18:15 MST Print View

I also carry a Mora #2. I took a butane torch to the handle to get rid of the treacherous red paint, turning it a nice chestnut color with the grain showing through. I then oiled it lightly. It is now a lot nicer to handle when wet.

mora

mora #2

Jeremy W
(SockPuppet) - F

Locale: High Desert
Handle on 02/21/2011 10:44:52 MST Print View

Nice work on that handle! I wouldn't have thought of that.

McLane Stone
(mstone) - F
Island on 02/21/2011 11:13:26 MST Print View

Dale,

My father works for Moran State Park. I proposed to my wife at the base of the CCC tower. Sounds like a great trip!

McLane

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Island on 02/21/2011 20:33:33 MST Print View

I proposed to my wife on San Juan :) Still going strong 25 years later!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Mora Classic #2 on 02/21/2011 20:36:02 MST Print View

Nice job on the handle. I like the toggle on the sheath too--- it isn't the most secure.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F - M

Locale: Canadian Rockies
weather on 02/21/2011 20:41:58 MST Print View

you guys have all this nice weather. was -17C when i went to work today. there are 9ft mounds of ice and snow from the road plowing in front of my house.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
weather on 02/21/2011 20:46:11 MST Print View

^ I hear ya, -13F this morning, w/ a foot of new snow (on top of the foot we already had) :(

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Handle on 02/21/2011 20:47:30 MST Print View

I'm getting my torch out tomorrow!

Matt Allen
(zeroforhire) - MLife
Two wonderful things on 02/21/2011 21:35:29 MST Print View

All in the same post!

Great pics Dale! My wife and I had our honeymoon in Eastsound. What a beautiful area.

I just might have to pick up a Mora knife. I have heard nothing but great things about them.

Eugene Hollingsworth
(GeneH_BPL) - F
Mora #2/0 Handle Mod on 02/22/2011 00:27:53 MST Print View

Looks really good. I did the same thing this fall - kinda fun taking the torch to it knowing that I could replace the handle if I screwed up. My boys thought it funny when it kept catching fire. ooops. A little sanding and some Watkins oil stain to seal it and good to go.

A serious word of caution though - it will be dangerously slippery if you try to field dress a deer. I cut myself a little, and had to use my son's Clipper to finish the job.

Edited by GeneH_BPL on 02/22/2011 00:28:53 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Mora #2/0 Handle Mod on 02/22/2011 08:39:12 MST Print View

I see the #2/0 as a handy fixed blade with emphasis on weight and small size. The guard-less design is not my favorite; it is traditional for wood carving so you can work close to the handle. There are identical models with rather crude metal guard and many of the plastic models with varying guards molded in. I would think of this knife for food prep and light wood-working: apples, cheese, and marshmallow sticks.

The next step up for me is the Mora Craftline Allround. Mora added the Craftline series a couple years ago. They have a slightly thicker 2.5mm blade and the handle has a less slippery rubber section. The blade is 3-7/8" (100mm) and the knife weighs 4.1oz/115g. I wish they made an ambidextrous sheath-- right hand only. About $15 on eBay.

Mora Craftline Allround knife

They make a number of different models.
http://www.moraofsweden.se/index.php?cid=&id=349&ssel=&lng=2

Edited by dwambaugh on 02/22/2011 08:42:31 MST.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Mora 546 on 02/22/2011 10:30:10 MST Print View

I'm intrigued by the #546 http://www.ragweedforge.com/546.jpg

The handle looks pretty goof-proof and it has one of the more substantial tangs in the Mora lineup. 3 1/2 oz with sheath. Also available as the 511 in carbon steel with a red handle; I understand the disadvantages of stainless but too many of my knife uses involve food.

I just wish I could find one locally; it chaps me to pay $6 shipping on an $8 purchase.

Bryan Hansel
(BryanHansel) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
911 on 02/22/2011 10:42:16 MST Print View

Lots of Bushcrafters like the wooden handle Moras without a finger guard, but I prefer the plastic ones with a guard. I just got the Mora 911. It has a 4-inch carbon blade. It's 4.7 oz. I still can't believe how sharp these knives come out of the box. No work needed. I'm not a fan of the plastic sheaths, so I'm planning on buying a new leather one. Ben's Backwoods sells a wide range of Mora knives and leather replacement sheaths.

Mora 911

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Mora 546 on 02/22/2011 20:46:42 MST Print View

There aren't significant problems with stainless. And carbon steel is fine for food, it just needs a little more maintenance, so it isn't as practical in a commercial kitchen setting. I prefer the stainless as I do get into salt water environments, and you can be lazy with them. Your basic block of cheddar won't know the difference. The carbon steel is a bit easier to sharpen and can take a wicked edge, but either will suffice. Some people use mildly acidic treatments like vinegar or tomato juice to give the carbon steel blades a protective patina. You can use cold bluing made for gunsmithing too. Simply wiping them clean and a light dose of oil will keep them from rusting.

This isn't fine cutlery-- they are workman's and fisherman's tools, meant to be cheap and abused, lost overboard, broken and covered in glue and paint. For outdoor use, they are cheap, light, and sharp. I have one that I bought in the early 1980's and it is in my toolbox, ready to be used where I wouldn't dream of exposing my expensive tool steel blade.

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Locale: Norwalk, CT
Mora #2/0 has full tang... on 12/14/2011 09:46:37 MST Print View

....according to this website:
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

I have a #1/0 on the way, and it also lists as a full tang. I wanted the slightly longer blade and full tang for batoning while carrying a wood stove in the winter.