Do you hate horses too?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: tolerance on 08/02/2011 19:33:32 MDT Print View

way better than ATVs and trail bikes, and they don't drink and sing all night.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: tolerance on 08/02/2011 19:35:10 MDT Print View

I have never seen horse packers clean up a non horse facility.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Re: tolerance on 08/02/2011 20:29:42 MDT Print View

I would view trail bikes as the lesser of two 'evils'. :)

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Horses on 08/02/2011 20:38:27 MDT Print View

I want to know why I have to bury my scat and then step over the horse dookie in an otherwise pristine stream. (wow, this site filters out a lot of synonyms for "sca"t; it w as like my 4th choice. The others seemed innocent enough but were deemed profane)

a b
(Ice-axe)
Horses on 08/02/2011 20:55:19 MDT Print View

Horses on the trail use to tick me off.
Then i hiked the PCT and noticed section after section that had been built or maintained on horse back.
If you ever hike the CDT you'll really wish it was ONLY horses on the trail.
The damage done by dirtbikes and quads is ridiculous.
Yea Horses produce scat, which is left behind. They pound the trail into dust which becomes slick goo when it rains.
Yes the presence of horse packers bring people into the wilderness that do not neccesarily share a hikers values.
These drawbacks are still tame in comparison to having a half dozen dirtbikers riding up, or worse.. down the same trail you are trying to hike.
The reason so many western trails are so superbly graded and maintained is at least in part due to horses in the backcountry.
.Wild Horses on the CDT WyomingPack horse at Smedberg lake Yosemite

Edited by Ice-axe on 08/02/2011 20:59:42 MDT.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: tolerance on 08/05/2011 10:57:26 MDT Print View

As a result of this thread, a committee consisting of representatives of both horse and hiker leadership met and had a serious, intellectual discussion about you know what. There was shouting, crying and in the end, even laughter.

meeting

The conclusion in general terms was that horse will no longer drop their manure on trails; however, humans can no longer ride horses. Details to be worked on.

Sorry if this is an inconvenience to any affected parties. Such is life.