Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 00:22:58 MDT Print View

"Another yukky triumph of marketing over common sense."

I think everyone realizes that we can get these electrolytes in our bodies through proper nutrition but also realize that many of our meals are lacking in this category so I guess I fail to understand how managing our electrolyte levels by whatever means necessary equals a lack of common sense?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 06:01:20 MDT Print View

Hi Ian

> many of our meals are lacking in this category so I guess I fail to understand how
> managing our electrolyte levels by whatever means necessary equals a lack of common
> sense?
Perspective, perspective ...
Me, I would adjust my meals/diet. That seems common sense to me.

Mind you, there is zero chance of you coming to ANY harm if the trip is only a few days, even out to a week (or more). That too is common sense. But the hamburger and chips sure will taste good aftwerwards...

Cheers

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 09:16:09 MDT Print View

"Mind you, there is zero chance of you coming to ANY harm if the trip is only a few days, even out to a week (or more). That too is common sense."

If by common sense you mean rubbish, then I agree. There's no way you or I can distinguish heat exhaustion/stroke from hyponatremia in the field other than if added water consumption (without adding electrolytes) reduces or exacerbates the symptoms but I have seen dozens of physically fit soldiers crash within a couple days of deploying to the field. Some were from dehydration and others were from overhydration/hyponatremia. Solution is the same 99% of the time; slowly reintroduce fluids and electrolytes (IV or PO) and cool their core body temperature.

Regardless if you eat them or drink them, you still have to replace electrolytes.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?" on 07/21/2014 10:19:30 MDT Print View

I've been using those electrolyte capsules--I forget the brand name--which I find at rei. They've extremely light. Much, much lighter and easier to use than packaged drinks. No sugar. They seem to be comparable in electrolytes to powdered drinks.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: "Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?" on 07/21/2014 10:25:20 MDT Print View

I like the Nuun tablets. I like the taste and not too sweet.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: "Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?" on 07/21/2014 17:55:17 MDT Print View

1/4-1/2 tsp table salt/liter H2O, depending on ambient temperature, exertion level, altitude, and personal physiology. Does the job and dirt cheap, too.

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 20:02:37 MDT Print View

> There's no way you or I can distinguish heat exhaustion/stroke from hyponatremia in the field
Hum ... debatable. But then, hyponatremia in the Australian bush is not very likely; heat exhaustion and stroke do happen. Yes, I know both of them, how to handle them, and have handled them.

> dozens of physically fit soldiers crash within a couple days of deploying to the field.
'Fit' as in able to run a mile, maybe. 'Fit' as in knowing how to handle themselves in the field: obviously not. Happens all the time with young'uns.

We don't go for these modern expensive fancy 'Powdered Electrolyte Drinks' here, and our history of over 100 years of walking has got on very well without them. We eat good food instead. YMMV.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 20:13:44 MDT Print View

"We eat good food instead."

What do you call Vegemite!

--B.G.--

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 20:41:16 MDT Print View

"What do you call Vegemite!"

Good food. ;0)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 21:15:30 MDT Print View

"'Fit' as in able to run a mile, maybe. 'Fit' as in knowing how to handle themselves in the field: obviously not. Happens all the time with young'uns."

I'm actually interested to know how many soldiers you've had to treat for heat related ailments? Sounds like you're an expert on the topic.

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 21:52:10 MDT Print View

> I'm actually interested to know how many soldiers you've had to treat for heat
> related ailments?
Soldiers - none. But the training is stock standard for volunteer firefighters here in Oz. It is also quite well-known in walking circles - try walking in 40 C heat with bright sun and limited water.

Expert - definitely not. But I have been following the research literature for maybe 20 years, and handling field cases for nearly that long.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 22:11:57 MDT Print View

Many years ago, I was in the Army during the Vietnam Era. While in training at Fort Polk, we didn't have any electrolyte drinks, although we were encouraged to swallow a salt tablet with our breakfast meal. In the summertime, it was very hot and very humid, but still we went out on long marches. Water management was odd. We were told to carry two canteens of water for a 15-mile march. However, we were trained not to let the canteens get partially full. Then, they would slosh and make too much noise. We could carry them full, or we could carry them empty, but the half-full slosh was bad. As a result, some guys wouldn't drink at all. As you would expect, they became the first victims of either heat exhaustion or heat stroke. On one day, we had one of each.

Now with modern water bottles and dilute electrolyte drinks, I can sip fluids all day and keep going much longer.

--B.G.--

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 22:16:28 MDT Print View

"Soldiers - none. But the training is stock standard for volunteer firefighters here in Oz. It is also quite well-known in walking circles - try walking in 40 C heat with bright sun and limited water."

I'm very familiar with those conditions. Last week it got up to 109*F here in town. We see temps in the triple digits for weeks at a time and it's not uncommon to get above 110* for a week or so:

.Screen shot

Some of the heat casualties I mentioned earlier where in much warmer places like Ft. Benning, GA and the jungles of Panama.

I actually wrote a lengthier response but figure it's a waste of time here and the conversation is just going to devolve into a whip out contest. I'm going to stick with what I know works and you do the same. I will say that comparing a walk in 104*F weather compared to the conditions a soldier is subjected to is mildly hilarious so thanks for that! In fairness, Firefighters do have a tough/hot job so that certainly is comparable somewhat.

OP,

Did I mention that Nuun tablets are not only tasty, but fizzy too!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 22:19:54 MDT Print View

"While in training at Fort Polk..."

Now THAT is a miserable location! Been there twice.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/21/2014 22:27:01 MDT Print View

When I left Fort Polk, I was so disgusted with it that I vowed never to set foot in the state of Louisiana again.

--B.G.--

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/22/2014 02:19:08 MDT Print View

Table salt, calcium tabs, magnesium tabs. Cheap and effective.

+1 for me. Sea salt though.

Looking to experiment with brown rice syrup as part of my carb intake.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/22/2014 07:58:35 MDT Print View

"Looking to experiment with brown rice syrup as part of my carb intake."

From Calorie King -

148 calories per fluid ounce

From Wiki -

The final product is 45% maltose, 3% glucose, and 52% maltotriose.... has a glycemic index (GI) of 98 which is higher than table sugar (65) and about the same as glucose (100)...

Definitely a "fast burn" fuel.

Edited by greg23 on 07/22/2014 08:33:24 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/22/2014 10:57:20 MDT Print View

"magnesium tabs"

How much?

I had purchased some 200mg Magnesium Citrate tablets, to help alleviate muscle stiffness. My healthcare provider tells me that it might cause looseness in the bowels.

--B.G.--

Kerry Wilson
(mntnflyr4fun) - F

Locale: North of Eugene, South of Portland
GU Brew on 07/22/2014 17:12:15 MDT Print View

I have been using GU products for a number of years. (Avail. thru REI)

I find that the electrolyte drink makes a huge difference in eliminating evening leg/foot cramps.

And the GU Roctane gel, is a huge kickstart when running out of gas on the trail.

Good tasting as well with lots of flavors to choose from in the Roctane product.

I think the GU Chomps (think gummy bears) are over rated as I don't seem to get the energy kick with them that the roctane gel provides.

I mix/match with water only as well depending on the situation, but always have some of both in my pack.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/22/2014 17:26:42 MDT Print View

"Did I mention that Nuun tablets are not only tasty, but fizzy too!"

And gawdawful expensive, too.