Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Re: Re: "Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?" on 02/19/2011 09:45:47 MST Print View

+1 for Succeed products. On long endurance events, I have trouble with nausea from a lot of the sports drinks like HEED, etc. Cytomax works fine but is very sweet tasting.

A couple years ago, an ultra runner friend turned me on to Succeed. I tried it out on some long training workouts and then in a couple of long races and it worked great. Now it's all I use as an electrolyte sports drink type thing. It's very mildly flavored, not real sweet, etc.

They make three different drink mixes with different mixes of carbs, amino acids, protein, etc for different length events (I.e., 0-4 hours, 4-6 hours or 6 and more).

Ultra is the short distance mix that I use most.

If you need still more electrolytes, you can supplement with s-caps or endurolytes ( both are electrolytes in tablet form).

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
gatorade on 02/19/2011 10:31:41 MST Print View

I've only ever used the powdered packets of gatorade, throw in a 1/2 liter bottle and shake- the taste is very good and seems to give me a little pickup- usually down one mid-morning and one mid-afternoon

looks like I might have to broaden my horizons a bit :)

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 06/26/2014 17:46:51 MDT Print View

reviving an old thread, one of many. Instead of starting a new thread.

I read a few BPL threads on the topic and gathered this summary list:

Camelback electrolytes
Camelback Elixir tablets
CLIF Shots
coconut water
Crystal Light
CytoMax
EmergenC
endurolytes
Gatorade
Gatorade Light
Gatorade powder
Gookinaid Vitalyte
GU Brew
Hammer Endurolytes Fizz
Hammer HEED
Hammer Perpetuem
Hawaiian Punch
Muscle Milk
Nuun tablets
Ocean Spray powdered drinks
Propel Fitness Water packets
S-Caps
Succeed
sun tea (using jasmine or fruit teas)
Tang
Trace Minerals Research Electrolyte Stamina drink mixes
Trader Joe's Soy Protein powder
True Lemon packets
Ultra
Water plain H2O

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 06/26/2014 17:54:01 MDT Print View

Table salt, calcium tabs, magnesium tabs. Cheap and effective.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 06/26/2014 18:32:50 MDT Print View

Scotch on glacial ice?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 06/26/2014 19:12:51 MDT Print View

Dale, where do you find powdered Scotch?

--B.G.--

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 06/28/2014 22:16:38 MDT Print View

If you drink enough scotch, YOU will be powdered well enough :) I think of it as dehydrated rather than powdered. Beats stuff like Gatorade, that's for sure!

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 06/28/2014 22:25:28 MDT Print View

What situation makes you think you need one?

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Electrolyte vs. Fuel on 06/29/2014 05:39:32 MDT Print View

Many thread have a misunderstanding between the two. While some product both fuel and provide electrolytes they really should be looked at independently. Further, I have found that I can include electrolytes in my fuel if choice, maltodextrin, but I also supplement that with capsule containing a very inexpensive mix. This allows me the independently tailor both fuel and electrolytes to suit the environment and exertion at the moment.

The specific recipe that is used both in my Malto mix and capsule is in the link below. The resulting formula matches many of the commercial formulas at a small fraction of the cost.

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=6d7e6f2cb3bd9e311d7851cd2c6d4ebe&entry_id=19697

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
electrolyte on 06/29/2014 06:10:00 MDT Print View

I use Sqwincher lite Kwik sticks. 0.1oz, designed for 20 oz bottles, works fine in about a liter. I get them from work, they are sold mostly by safety supply companies today.

Small amts of electrolytes, but I dont really even use them for electrolyte, Its mostly for a little bit of flavoring to water, I drink a lot more water that way.

I tried some electrolytes, that tasted pretty bad IMO. EmergenC, Nuun, the taste was not conducive to drinking, in fact, it worked the other way. I didnt want to drink it, so I drank less.

I have picked up any of the wide variety WalMart sells in a pinch as well on the way to a trailhead. Liquid too. Cant say I think Ive ever suffered electrolyte deficiencies.

Rob P
(rpjr) - M
Brawndo on 06/29/2014 06:44:01 MDT Print View

Brawndo's got electrolytes. :-)

Alexander S
(Cascadicus) - M
Re: Brawndo on 07/03/2014 12:43:01 MDT Print View

"Brawndo's got electrolytes. :-)"

The thirst mutilator. It's what plants crave!

Timothy McGee
(Timo) - M
Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/15/2014 17:00:24 MDT Print View

Skratch Pineapple or Rasberry

Daniel D
(Dandru) - M

Locale: Down Under
Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/15/2014 17:46:02 MDT Print View

While cycle touring in the northern part of Laos in January, I was getting cramps every night as I lay in bed because some days you'd be climbing 1800 metres. Normally I'd use Nuun tablets, but they are not cheap and sometimes hard to source at a reasonable cost.

On my walks since I've used an Aldi Benifex Performance tablets (Related to Trader Joes), they've got the vitamins and minerals in them at half the price of the brand names, not sure if they are as good though. I normally take five tablets per day on multi-day walks and mix each tablet in 500 ml of water, it's a good way to gauge a minimum amount of water consumed per day.

I also take 30 grams of Vegemite and have that on dry biscuits.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/15/2014 17:54:34 MDT Print View

Nuun Active Hydration contains the following per tablet (16 ounce drink)- Active Ingredients

Sodium (carbonates)............. 360.0 mg
Potassium (bicarbonate)....... 100.0 mg
Magnesium (sulfate).............. 25.0 mg
Calcium (carbonate).............. 12.5 mg
Vitamin C.................................. 19.0 mg
Vitamin B.................................. 2.50 mg

These amount would be doubled if taken with every 500 ml of water.

Aldi Benifex Performance Tables seem to have only 360 mg of sodium.
I'd find a way to add potassium.

Knowing your sodium and potassium replacement rate as a function of water consumed is an excellent of monitoring your intake. IMHO.

Edited by greg23 on 07/15/2014 18:30:14 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 07/15/2014 18:18:26 MDT Print View

Another yukky triumph of marketing over common sense.
Hear those cash register bells...

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: "Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?" on 07/15/2014 18:39:12 MDT Print View

Within the last week, I have consumed a lot of this stuff.

For the first day, I drank orange Gatorade simply to get rid of the stuff. It works, but it is too sweet. For the second day, I was drinking Powerade. It's about the same or worse. For the third day, I was drinking Vitalyte, and I kept it at about half-normal concentration. For the fourth day, I was going downhill and I didn't need extra sugar energy, so I drank Vitalyte at about quarter-normal strength. A pleasant flavor simply encourages me to drink more fluid.

I've mixed up my own mixes before using maltodextrin and other ingredients. In general, I keep them diluted.

For lunch, I was eating Hammer Perpetuem pellets, so apparently I don't have much taste.

--B.G.--

Daniel D
(Dandru) - M

Locale: Down Under
Re: Electrolyte Containers for storage on 07/16/2014 01:20:43 MDT Print View

Some people may do this already but I repackage my tablets and use the containers for creams, spares, powders etc. On one of the containers shown, I've got 1 metre of duct tape wrapped around the outside with sewing needles and spare matches on the inside.

I use a disk sander to remove the excess material to the size I want and then I've got a nifty little storage container.

ElectrolyteContainers

Edited by Dandru on 07/16/2014 01:22:02 MDT.

Monty Montana
(TarasBulba) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: "Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?" on 07/20/2014 22:23:53 MDT Print View

The Bigelow Tea Company makes a wonderful powdered coconut water and green tea mix packaged in individual sticks to be mixed with 16 oz of water. It's not commonly found on store shelves, so I order directly from the company. With 170-230mg sodium (depending on the flavor), 400mg potassium, and calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin A & C, it has become my favorite end-of-the-day recovery drink to prevent leg cramps at night. And it has NO high fructose corn syrup!

Dave Heiss
(DaveHeiss) - M

The Bigelow Tea Company makes a powdered coconut water and green tea mix on 07/20/2014 23:17:34 MDT Print View

Monty,

What is the name of this product from Bigelow Tea Company? I was looking on their website but didn't see it (or saw it and didn't realize what it was).