Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 02/18/2011 11:33:01 MST Print View

Powdered electrolye drinks are a necessary menu item for many people. Finding the right powdered electrolyte drink that (A) has good taste and (B) has the correct balance of electrolytes AND (C) is not sweetened with high fructose corn syurp solids could be difficult.

I've found CYTO-MAX to be the best drink for me. YMMV but I just can't gag down "GookinAide".

Also CYTO-MAX says it prevents the build-up of lactic acid (which causes cramping and soreness). In my experience with an array of electrolyte drinks I've found this to be true of Cyto-Max, as have some of my fellow backpackers.

I use one Cyto-Max package per bike bottle each day for tough sections of the day's trail. Other times I use PROPEL or CRYSTAL LIGHT or plain H2O from my hydration bladder. By the end ot the day I'm usually down to just H2O. At dinner I'll mix another bottle of PROPEL.

Anoyne have some good ones to add to the list?

Edited by Danepacker on 02/18/2011 11:37:41 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 02/18/2011 11:44:07 MST Print View

Old school choice. Plain ol Gatorade.

Years ago, there was a Gatorade Light that was marketed briefly. It was OK.

While trekking in Nepal, one woman in the group contracted Giardia Lamblia and was treated with a four-day course of drugs in one day, so the flora of her entire gastrointestinal system was wiped out. But we were moving up 2000 feet in the next day, so she started drinking Gatorade. She hated the stuff, but she knew that she could stay alive with it, and stay on the trail. One other trek member had Orange Gatorade, and I had Green Gatorade, each in the big can. The woman drank Orange Death one day, and then Green Death the next day. On the third day, she made it to the high point at 18,200 feet elevation, going on zero food and only some Gatorade.

--B.G.--

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
Electrolyte Drinks on 02/18/2011 11:50:01 MST Print View

EmergenC or Gatoraid

but I make them at about 1/2 strength or less.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Make your own on 02/18/2011 11:55:54 MST Print View

Take your favorite crystal light (or other) flavors and mix in Salt Balance (or equivalent) and a magnesium/calcium complex. Hammer makes electrolyte capsules. If you look on the nutritional info you can find the exact mix between the ingredients. This will cost you pennies and won't dramatically impact the taste of your beverage. I also throw this in capsules to pop a times when I'm not drinking my calories.

Edited by gg-man on 02/18/2011 12:50:34 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?" on 02/18/2011 12:19:18 MST Print View

Eh.

There's plenty of salt in the food that I consume when backpacking, between dehydrated meals, GORP, Clif Bars, and jerky I've never had symptoms of lacking sodium or felt the need to supplement with electrolyte drinks, if anything there's a surplus of sodium in my trail diet. Post hike, a nice sized Gatorade upon arriving back at the trailhead is always nice of course.

FWIW,

I've used Hammer HEED on trail runs lasting more than 10 miles or so, any mileage <10 plain water is sufficient, even for 100F afternoon runs. In the 20+ mile range I've found Hammer Perpetuem to be the best in feeding my body and replenishing lost electrolytes through excessive sweating- backpacking rarely, if ever, causes me to sweat to the point of inducing cramps due to low electrolyte levels.

Here's what I will occasionally throw in my bottles for a trail run, but never for backpacking, like I said, my typical trail grub takes care of salt for me:

Hammer HEED (excellent)
Hammer Perpetuem (sustained activities lasting several hours)
GU Brew (good, kind of sweet)
S-Caps (great for long sustained activity, if sodium is the objective these are easier than fiddling with powdery sugary drinks, but does nothing to stabilize glucose levels )

Edited by Eugeneius on 02/18/2011 12:20:16 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: "Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?" on 02/18/2011 12:25:00 MST Print View

I don't drink Gatorade for the salt, and maybe not for the sugar. I tend to run a little deficient on potassium, and Gatorade is rich in it. If it wasn't for Gatorade powder, I would be carrying a five-pound bag of bananas.

--B.G.--

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks? on 02/18/2011 12:27:33 MST Print View

I'm partial to Nuun tablets. Not exactly a UL proposition, but easy, quick, and tasty. And no sugar. I carry a tube on most trips.

Chris Benson
(roguenode) - F

Locale: Boulder
Re: "Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?" on 02/18/2011 12:53:22 MST Print View

+1 on Hammer products.

The makers of S-Caps (Succeed!) have a powder electrolyte drink I like called Ultra. It has lightly flavored and is not sweetened. (http://www.succeedscaps.com/index.html)

They also make a powder that includes protein and fat as well, but I have not tried it.

Reginald Donaldson
(worth) - MLife

Locale: Wind River Range
Gookinaid on 02/18/2011 16:56:01 MST Print View

now called Vitalyte: http://www.vitalyte.com/

I like it because of it is lower in sodium than others. What sold me was discovering that I do not get leg cramps when I rehydrate with it when I foolishly allow myself to get dehydrated.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
Favorite Powdered Electrolite Drinks on 02/18/2011 21:15:46 MST Print View

I am a big fan of CytoMax for the electrolites, and Perpetuem for the long-lasting carbs my body seems to crave on long mileage days.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Hmmmm on 02/18/2011 21:40:24 MST Print View

Never even heard of Perpetum but I'll try it next week on a 12 mile training hike in the mountains south of 'Vegas. Verrrrry interesting.

Thanks guys

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Hmmmm on 02/18/2011 21:44:19 MST Print View

Eric,
Unless you changed horses in the middle of this thread, be aware that Perpetum is a "phood", not an electrolyte mix. It has very little sodium or potassium.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

PHOOD? Oh yeah? on 02/18/2011 21:50:18 MST Print View

Then I guess I'll try Perpetum as a snack. I thought it was a drink. Thanks for the heads up.

But what does it taste like, my grandma's chocolate fudge brownies? Her rhubarb pie?
Maybe like a Cinnabon roll. (One can hope.)

Edited by Danepacker on 02/18/2011 22:01:50 MST.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
Perpetuem on 02/18/2011 21:55:55 MST Print View

Erik - Perpetuem is a powder that you mix with water. Like a previous poster mentioned, it is not an electrolite, but it does work well as a meal replacement or just for carbs and calories on the trail. It is made by Hammer Nutrition if you want to research it. They also make it in a solid, but with less benefits. I didn't mean to distract from original thread, but wanted to clarify a bit.

Erik- It comes in Cafe-Latte, Strawberry, and Orange cream or something like that. Not the greatest tasting stuff on the planet, but effective, IMO.

Edited by rp3957 on 02/18/2011 22:07:26 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?" on 02/19/2011 00:30:02 MST Print View

Unless you changed horses in the middle of this thread, be aware that Perpetum is a "phood", not an electrolyte mix. It has very little sodium or potassium.

Not exactly.

Perpetuem has a substantial amount of electrolytes- Potassium (120mg) and Sodium (220mg) per serving- containing the same minerals used in the Endurolyte capsules and more per serving. Yes, Perpetuem isn't intended to be an electrolyte supplement, but it achieves in doing so very well under normal conditions (not sweltering) and doesn't require any additional supplementation.

This was taken directly from the Hammer website:

"Does Perpetuem contain any electrolytes?"

While it is not advertised that Perpetuem contains electrolytes, a quick glance at the nutritional info will show that Perpetuem does contain the same minerals as the Endurolytes do. However, the majority of those electrolytes will go to the digestive process, so warm to hot conditions will warrant additional electrolytes. When riding in cool conditions you can forgo the additional capsules, although it is a good idea to
carry capsules with you just in case.
Some athletes using Perpetuem, but not all, who normally use only 1-2 Endurolytes per hour may be able to go without Endurolyte supplementation. The self-contained electrolytes profile in Perpetuem is therefore equivalent to 1-2 Endurolytes per hour dose, depending on the individual athlete.

Perpetuem contains : Endurolytes dose 1-2 capsules per hour

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Perpetuem on 02/19/2011 01:11:20 MST Print View

As far as I can tell, all the carbs in Perpetuem come from maltodextrin. If not all, then the vast majority. It may be tasty, but it's not that good for you and you can do better for less money.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Re: Perpetuem on 02/19/2011 05:59:10 MST Print View

"As far as I can tell, all the carbs in Perpetuem come from maltodextrin. If not all, then the vast majority. It may be tasty, but it's not that good for you and you can do better for less money."

1) "It may be tasty" - Yes it is.

2) "you can do better for less money." - You can probably do equal and certainly for less.

3) "it's not that good for you" - I think you are missing the boat. Sitting on a couch and sipping maltodextrin slurpies might not be the best idea. But we are talking fueling during long duration activities, a whole different critter. I would suggest studying a bit more about nutrition for activities such as ultramarathons and long distance biking and you may get a little different perspective. But then again If you are hiking 5 miles then taking a two hour hour break and repeating that a couple of times then it is probably irrelevant how you fuel.

I normally will take my homemade version of Perpetuem that has the electrolytes. But I don't really want to get 100% of my calories from a drink so I supplement with capsules during the "eating hours."

By the way, I used to have huge problems with post hiking cramps and what I can only describe as "loss of temperature control" on very high mileage days. Since carefully paying attention to the electrolytes these symptoms have been eliminated.

As far as soreness goes, I wouldn't expect that the electrolytes will help much these. The general consensus appears to be that a combination of protein and glutamine can be effective. The protein makes perfect sense but I don't believe that there is solid proof on the glutamine. A specialize recovery drink similiar to Hammer Recoverite may help in the soreness area. But you can also make your own more affordable version of this.

Edited by gg-man on 02/19/2011 06:05:03 MST.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Perpetuem on 02/19/2011 06:48:45 MST Print View

I think you are missing the boat. Sitting on a couch and sipping maltodextrin slurpies might not be the best idea. But we are talking fueling during long duration activities, a whole different critter. I would suggest studying a bit more about nutrition for activities such as ultramarathons and long distance biking and you may get a little different perspective. But then again If you are hiking 5 miles then taking a two hour hour break and repeating that a couple of times then it is probably irrelevant how you fuel.

Have you looked for a complex carbohydrate alternative that actually acts like what a complex carbohydrate should? The GI for maltodextrin is the same as sucrose, so where's that benefit that such an expensive drink should provide? While I do believe there's a place for quickly absorbed carbohydrates, I prefer to have a healthy dose of low GI complex carbohydrates in there as well...pun intended.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Perpetuem on 02/19/2011 07:56:42 MST Print View

"The GI for maltodextrin is the same as sucrose, so where's that benefit that such an expensive drink should provide?"

To what benefit do you refer? MD is quickly taken up and delivered to the bloodstream (as glucose, I think) without the restrictions seen when ingesting sucrose. That is an outstanding benefit. Try the same approach with sucrose and you'll be off the trail with the squirts.

Regarding electrolytes - a fit person at high exertion rates sweating a half liter an hour will lose about 0.5 Grams of sodium an hour. If you are relying on Perpetuem you need to consume 2-3 servings an hour to cover replacement. Good luck with that.

Edited by greg23 on 02/19/2011 08:00:17 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?" on 02/19/2011 08:36:54 MST Print View

@ Eugene,

Maltodextrin is actually the ideal complex carbohydrate source. Sucrose and fructose based gels, which are few and far between now, aren't going to be processed well in the gastric system. I've tried using honey on trail runs in a pinch with very bad results- bloating, gas, bonking, and post run upset stomach- I'll never use any supplemental fuel other than maltodextrin based options.

* CLIF Shots are a great gel, they derive their carbohydrates from brown rice syrup, the breakdown of fructose, sucrose and maltodextrin is really good and is processed well in my experience.

They have a CLIF Shot electrolyte supplement drink that is organic brown rice syrup based as well- ingredients are simple.

Edited by Eugeneius on 02/19/2011 09:17:21 MST.