Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Help Repairing a Shoulder Strap

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Help Repairing a Shoulder Strap on 02/15/2011 23:37:04 MST Print View

This is a Golite Ion, the shoulder strap has started cutting through right where it attaches to the pack near the hip belt. The cut in the strap looks to be about an 1/8 inch and has begun fraying. How would you fix this?

Ion Damage

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Help Repairing a Shoulder Strap on 02/16/2011 06:14:31 MST Print View

I would open up the stitching and resew. I found the factory sewing easy to deal with when I took my Ion apart.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Strap on 02/16/2011 08:29:55 MST Print View

It's not the pack that's coming apart. It's the strap that strap that has been cut right up against the pack.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
re on 02/16/2011 08:39:27 MST Print View

Webbing is usually way stronger than needed

What if you do nothing?

Maybe it got cut on something but that is unlikely to reoccur?

Keep monitoring it and see if it gets worse.

Or, you could rip out the seam and replace the webbing with a new piece. It looks like the seam is hidden inside, but you could just sew it on the outside as close to the edge as possible.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
I agree with Jerry on 02/16/2011 09:42:19 MST Print View

If the web seems otherwise well attached I'd very carefully melt the fuzzy pieces....if you think you can do it without damaging anything else. That should prevent further unravelling.

Looks like you'd still have well over half the webbing working for you. Plenty strong.

If you are unsure about doing this I'd ask for help from the company. The problem may be that the webbing wasn't put far enough into the seam.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Webbing on 02/16/2011 10:07:40 MST Print View

Great advice, I'll melt it a bit to prevent further fraying, then just let it be and keep an eye on it. I hang my bottle on there sometimes and the biner had a bit of a burr which cut into the webbing. It's been remedied. Thanks everybody!

Jason Delso
(zencarver) - MLife

Locale: DFW
not pretty... on 02/16/2011 11:15:32 MST Print View

Not a pretty solution, but Shoe Goo would probably fix you up, too.