Rain Mitts
Display Avatars Sort By:
Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Rain Mitts on 02/15/2011 17:55:33 MST Print View

I finished up a pair of rain mitts and would like to share the pattern with anyone interested in making their own.

I wanted a light, easy to make mitt. As few pieces as possible, lays flat for sewing together, and no bells or whistles. In lieu of a drawstring or velcro, they tuck into my jacket sleeves. They ended up weighing 20 grams for the pair, using 2.5oz WPB fabric for the back and wrist and PU coated ripstop for the palm.

I put the PDF pattern here if you'd like to view or print it.

Final version:
Rain Mitts

Prototypes/mistakes:
Rain Mitt prototypes

If anyone does give these a go, I would be interested in any feedback.

Thanks.

Edited by Lancem on 05/28/2011 20:22:41 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Rain Mitts on 02/15/2011 18:28:47 MST Print View

Thanks. Are they sized with the intention of going over gloves, or over bare hands?

--B.G.--

a b
(Ice-axe)
Nice Mitts! on 02/15/2011 18:37:25 MST Print View

Hey I like your design. I made a pair of my own a while back though mine are not water proof.MYOG MittensMYOG mittensMYOG fleece lined mittens

My idea was i was very unhappy with the fleece gloves I had tried on the CDT. everytime my hand got wet it became difficult to get the gloves back on. Since i only really used them during cold mornings and during rare cold wind on the trail i thought a basic mitten that had enough dexterity to hold treeking poles or buckle my pack straps would be enough.
Anyhow, this was my first MYOG project and i sewed them by hand since my sewing machine was broken at the time.
I went with an uncoated ripstop nylon shell and a micro weight fleece liner. My thinking is they will get wet anyways so i picked a materail that stays reasonably warm when wet. They have a stretch elastic band placed behind the thumb and the gauntlet style makes it easy to tuck em in to the sleeves of my wind shirt.
Mine came out to 2.5 ounces.
I have used these to shovel snow in Pennsylvania over Christmas break and in the rain back here in California. So far so fun!

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Re: Rain Mitts size on 02/15/2011 19:08:55 MST Print View

Bob,

I sized the medium mitts to fit over fleece gloves. My bare hand is about 8-1/2" around across the middle of my palm. The mitts are snug to pull on over the fleece gloves. Once they are on, there is plenty of finger room.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Rain Mitts size on 02/15/2011 19:23:10 MST Print View

Lance, the design looks almost identical to some that I purchased about 30 years ago, and they have been outfitted with Ragg wool inner liners all this time.

--B.G.--

Jason L
(Jason_Loose_Arrow) - F

Locale: Yosemite
How did they turn out? on 07/18/2012 16:56:33 MDT Print View

Hi Lance, kudos to you for making these. How did they turn out?

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Re: How did they turn out? on 07/18/2012 22:38:37 MDT Print View

I've worn them a number of times and was happy to have them. Most recently I had them with me during a PCT section hike from Walker Pass to Tuolumne Meadows. The morning I climbed Mt Whitney was cold (mid twenties?) and windy. My fingers froze with just fleece gloves. After putting on the mitts, my fingers thawed out and stayed warm. I also used them alone one evening for mosquito protection. Well worth the 20 grams.

Two negatives:
They do wet out eventually.
The size medium fits me fine until I grasp my trekking poles. Then they are too snug around the palm of my hand. I'll be making a larger pair soon.

Edited by Lancem on 07/18/2012 22:39:56 MDT.

James W.
(jimmyjam)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Rain Mitts on 07/24/2012 06:57:50 MDT Print View

I made some Tyvek rain mitts to go over my dollar store gloves. Super light. I haven't tried them out yet. It will be interesting to see how long they keep the water out. They were pretty "crunchy" so I threw them in the washing maching a couple of times. They should work pretty good for stopping a cold wind.