Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Small Wonders of Latin America - Global Test Photo Essay

Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Small Wonders of Latin America - Global Test Photo Essay on 02/15/2011 14:24:55 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Small Wonders of Latin America - Global Test Photo Essay

Bradley Danyluk
(dasbin) - MLife
Gear on 02/15/2011 14:34:42 MST Print View

Lovely macros!
I'm curious as to the photo gear used for these.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Properties on 02/15/2011 15:44:15 MST Print View

"Other Button" click on the photos.

Scroll down to Properties.

Oh, and just for fun, click on Map Link.

Edit: I have been reminded that I have a FireFox Add-On that allows viewing the EXIF data. So, this probably won't work for you unless you have a similar "option".

Edited by greg23 on 02/15/2011 17:30:28 MST.

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
Small Wonders of Latin America on 02/15/2011 15:46:15 MST Print View

Wow! These are beautiful! I especially love the hermit crab and whatever insect that is sitting on rock. National Geographic should be calling you.

Brandon Sanchez
(dharmabumpkin) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns
Small Wonders of Latin America - Global Test Photo Essay on 02/15/2011 16:36:51 MST Print View

I love how in the description of a Latin American photo essay the word "petite" is used haha.

Bradley Danyluk
(dasbin) - MLife
Re: Re: Gear on 02/15/2011 16:37:05 MST Print View

Sorry to be a bother but... the right-click->properties thing only shows the image size, no other info, on both IE and Firefox (the Firefox equivilant is "View Image Info") on PC.
Unless I'm doing something wrong?

JJ Mathes
(JMathes) - F

Locale: Southeast US
Small Wonders of Latin America - Global Test Photo Essay on 02/15/2011 16:45:36 MST Print View

Beautiful, thank you for sharing

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Gear on 02/15/2011 17:27:51 MST Print View

Bradley,
My apologies.
I forgot I've got the FxIF Add-On.

(FYI - Panasonic TS1, usually at 28mm.)

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Photo's Delux on 02/15/2011 21:24:33 MST Print View

Really enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna try to start taking a few photos on the trail this year. This was inspiring.

Christopher Holly
(climber72) - F

Locale: At my desk
Really cool! on 02/15/2011 22:12:14 MST Print View

So the pics are superb, thanks a million for sharing! That caterpillar is weird!!!

And I just sent the FxIF add-on info to a photog friend with whom I will be doing the JMT with this summer - he will be psyched as heck about this!!

Bradley Danyluk
(dasbin) - MLife
Nice on 02/16/2011 11:35:03 MST Print View

Wow. I'm really impressed by that tiny folded lens. I'm guessing it's stronger in macros than other use, but still, I thought this was SLR stuff for sure.

Composition and lighting are great.

Edited by dasbin on 02/16/2011 11:37:31 MST.

Kristin Tennessen
(ktenness) - MLife

Locale: Sierra Nevadas
Foz do Iguaçu on 02/17/2011 10:17:38 MST Print View

The critter in the photo taken at Foz do Iguaçu is an assassin bug (Hemiptera/Heteroptera: Reduviidae) in the genus Arilus. Learn more here.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Small Wonders of Latin America - Global Test Photo Essay on 02/19/2011 06:45:26 MST Print View

Really excelent shots! WOW! And Thanks!

John L Collins
(WVCubDad) - MLife

Locale: Not too far off the Tuscarora Trail
Neat Link on 02/20/2011 06:05:12 MST Print View

Thanks for posting that link about the assassin bug Kristin. As I looked at the page, I thought Wow that looks really familiar and when I read Hillary's request I couldn't stop chuckling. How nice to have a world-wide support system that gives you quick answers!!!

Thank you both for the fantastic photos of really cool small stuff!

John

Edited by WVCubDad on 02/20/2011 06:06:19 MST.

James Schipper
(monospot) - MLife
Assassin bug on 02/20/2011 10:48:24 MST Print View

The assassin bug is also commonly called a Kissing bug. One thing I didn't see mentioned on the link is that they can be a vector for Chagas disease, one of the most widespread and devastating infectious diseases in Central and South America.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
beautiful, which camera/lens on 02/22/2011 20:44:14 MST Print View

Kristin and Danny, absolutely beautiful photos and most interesting subjects. Which make/model camera/lens were you shooting with, and did you use a tripod?

Danny Milks
(dannymilks) - MLife

Locale: Sierras
Camera Equipment on 03/04/2011 16:47:08 MST Print View

You might laugh, or cry. But the camera I used is the Panasonic TS1. It's Panasonic's first waterproof/crushproof/dustproof camera that I bought in June 2009. My tripod is the Joby Gorillapod. And the only additional equipment I have is a second battery.