Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
I'm looking for a warm shirt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/13/2011 22:33:09 MST Print View

For summer use in the Sierra Nevada, I normally use a poly t-shirt with an extremely thin long-sleeve shirt over it for sun protection. Then, the first warm layer I use (currently) is a Sportif 100-weight microfleece long-sleeve shirt. It is soft, durable, and somewhat warm, with a button-up front and two front pockets. The only problem is that it weighs about 11 ounces in a mens small size. I'd like to replace it with something equally useful but perhaps a bit lighter. I've looked at what I see in the marketplace, and I don't see anything better, or at least not lighter.

I have several good wool shirts and sweaters, and they are too heavy. I have some medium fleece shirts, but they are only a quarter or half zip. I have a good windshirt, but it is only half zip. Pullover shirts are not my favorite.

If I don't find something new, I might have to start hacking away at the old Sportif shirt.

Any suggestions out there in the marketplace?

--B.G.--

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/13/2011 22:54:40 MST Print View

What about a full zip windshirt? Would that be warm enough? Plenty of options on the market at less than four ounces.

For warmth on the move, fleece is hard to beat. The downside is, as you said, it's certainly heavy. I've found that my windshirt or rainshell will work on the move (over my baselayer) and then I can have a down piece for stops and camp. I try to avoid multiple insulation layers (e.g. fleece and down) but when you need it, you need it.

Maybe Patagonia's R1 would work simply as a baselayer for you? Eddie Bauer's First Ascent has their R1 copy on sale now for pretty cheap. Info in the gear deals section.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/13/2011 23:36:41 MST Print View

"For warmth on the move, fleece is hard to beat."

I'm afraid so.

The Eddie Bauer First Ascent site didn't seem to have any search utility.

--B.G.--

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/14/2011 00:58:20 MST Print View

I also enjoy carrying a lightweight fleece. You're looking for a 100 weight fleece shirt that has a full front opening but weighs less than 10 ounces? I'm not sure that one exists! I use the quarter zip or no zip ones... I don't think that you're going to find something that isn't fleece that functions similarly.

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
Re: Re: Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/14/2011 07:38:24 MST Print View

Here's that First Ascent link, Bob:
http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=37607&&categoryId=27375&categoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS-BASELAYER&pCategoryId=27373&pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS&gpCategoryId=27372&gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&catPath=~~categoryId=27375~~categoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS-BASELAYER~~pCategoryId=27373~~pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS~~gpCategoryId=27372~~gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&viewAll=y

No thumbholes like their first version, though.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/14/2011 07:42:57 MST Print View

Fleece just isn't that light. Columbia used to make a one sided fleece pullover that weighed about 8 ounces. My upper body layers (excluding rain jacket) are thin, long sleeve top, windshirt and insulated vest/jacket. If it is chilly starting out in the morning or the wind picks up during the day, my windshirt has always sufficed. You would be surprised what a 3-5 oz windbreaker can do.

James Moughan
(jamougha)
Oryx on 02/14/2011 12:39:51 MST Print View

Montane Oryx is about the lightest full-zip fleece garment. Don't see the point in Powerdry for a midlayer myself but people on this forum seem to like it.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Oryx on 02/14/2011 12:44:27 MST Print View

That Oryx looks like the jam.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/14/2011 12:45:19 MST Print View

Greg, that link takes me to something that does not have a full zip.

If I don't find a perfect solution, I will modify one of my old medium weight fleece pullovers and add a full zipper. It may not be elegant.

--B.G.--

Edited by --B.G.-- on 02/14/2011 12:46:56 MST.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/14/2011 12:53:01 MST Print View

Would a fleece vest work? How about something like the Arcteryx Breva? I'm thinking of getting one for use in cold rainy conditions...

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/14/2011 12:57:45 MST Print View

Hmmm. A vest would be pretty cold for my arms.

The Montane Oryx seems to have merit. If the medium size is 9 ounces, then the small size might be a bit less. More money than I had in mind.

--B.G.--

Edited by --B.G.-- on 02/14/2011 13:05:57 MST.

jim jessop
(LuckyJim) - F
A warm shirt on 02/14/2011 14:19:54 MST Print View

http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/detail/index.php?pgc=PARAMETASSHIRTTRAILMENS

The paramo trail shirt is great. A bit like a synthetic velvet fabric that wicks really well and it's reversible.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: A warm shirt on 02/14/2011 14:40:21 MST Print View

Jim, the Paramo shirt is going the wrong direction on weight. I'm looking for lighter weight with an equivalent warmth.

--B.G.--

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/14/2011 14:43:04 MST Print View

> You're looking for a 100 weight fleece shirt that has a full front opening but
> weighs less than 10 ounces? I'm not sure that one exists!

If Jack's correctly captured your requirements take a look at the Montbell Inner Fleece. I have found it as warm as any 100wt I have used. Full zip. Men's US Large is 9oz.

--mark

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/14/2011 14:48:18 MST Print View

"You would be surprised what a 3-5 oz windbreaker can do."

I have a 4.4-ounce hooded (silnylon) rain shell, and it does a good job of shedding wind. However, that isn't what I was after here. Comfortable warmth seems best found in fleece or brushed microfleece.

--B.G.--

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Bob Gross Asks a Question on 02/14/2011 14:52:23 MST Print View

The "answer man" is not allowed to ask questions...

jim jessop
(LuckyJim) - F
Warm fleece full zip 7.8 oz on 02/14/2011 14:55:45 MST Print View

Bob,

If weight is your primary concern and it must be a full zip then the Jack Wolfskin Atmosphere at 220 gm or 7.85 oz would be hard to beat.

http://www.jack-wolfskin.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-1246/431_read-41013/usetemplate-product/

Edited by LuckyJim on 02/14/2011 14:56:45 MST.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
fleece vest on 02/14/2011 14:56:21 MST Print View

I often carry a light 200 weight fleece vest for summer backlpackiong a altitudes higher than 6,000 ft. But now I may leave it in favor of my Eddie Bauer down "sweater".

The vest saved my butt one 24 F. August morning on PCT south of Olancha Peak. I wore it under my GTX PacLite parka. As we walked down the valley back to Kennedy Meadows we saw 16 F.!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/14/2011 15:05:40 MST Print View

I haven't yet found a vendor for the Montbell fleece shirt. I have Montbell down stuff, but those are my serious cold layers. I don't generate as much heat as I used to when I was younger.

Vests are nice, too. I have down and synthetic. But they don't do much for arm warmth.

Pullovers are good, except I find it harder and harder to get in and out of them as time goes by. A full zip or button-up shirt is easier to vary for warmth.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: I'm looking for a warm shirt on 02/14/2011 15:21:02 MST Print View

"Jack Wolfskin Atmosphere at 220 gm or 7.85 oz would be hard to beat."

That looks promising.

--B.G.--