Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Wrangell St Elias National Park Seven Pass Route

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Kremers
(DKremers) - F
Wrangell St Elias National Park Seven Pass Route on 02/13/2011 22:18:52 MST Print View

A buddy of mine just proposed doing this trip in mid August this year. Until now I've just done someday hike stuff, a 14er when I was in Co is probably my best accomplishment. Physically I think I will be fine (I kept up with my friend on the 14er and I was carrying an extra 50 pounds at that point).

What I'm concerned about is gear. I really only have some basics and a Talon 33, which I don't think will cut it for a trip of this length. There will also be a need for crampons.

I guess I'm looking for some advice on what gear to get and what to expect up there.

PS. I do have a grosamer the one tent i've only used in the backyard.

Daniel Kremers
(DKremers) - F
Shoes on 02/13/2011 22:23:28 MST Print View

Something I forgot. The terrain looks pretty rocky. Would it be wise to use boots or will trail runners still suffice?

Scott Truong
(elf773) - M

Locale: Vancouver, BC
RE: St. Elias, seen this? on 02/19/2011 13:29:49 MST Print View

Looks awesome. Not really the info you're seeking but may help. The best trip report I've seen yet..

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/169211-33-Days-Across-Wrangell-St-Elias-NP-AK-The-Southern-Spiral-%28NSR%29

Russ Porter
(Russp17)

Locale: Anchorage
Good luck on 02/22/2011 15:27:24 MST Print View

I don't think the Wrangells are a place to learn to backpack. They are wild mountains. I live in and love Alaska however it is wild. If I were you I would get out for many week trips or if that is not possible many 3-4 day trips in the lower 48. prefebly somewhere very remote. Mistakes in other places can lead to a poor time mistakes in Alaska lead to death.