Comments/Suggestions on partial JMT trip plan
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
Comments/Suggestions on partial JMT trip plan on 02/13/2011 21:51:27 MST Print View

Here's a proposed itinerary for a partial JMT trip this summer. Starting at North Lake and finishing at the Whitney Portal.

Notice it's nice and slow - that's intentional. We want to spend time fishing, reading, sleeping, exploring, etc.

Any suggestions for modifications are welcome - unless they entail going faster!

Thanks in advance....

(These are roughly the campsite areas)

Piute Lake

JCT JMT

Colby Meadow

Darwin Bench

Leconte Canyon

Palisades Lakes

Bench Lake

Road's End JCT

Charlotte Lake

Center Peak

Bighorn Plateau

Guitar Lake

One goal was to arrive roughly at the base of each successive pass at the end of the previous day so we can go over earlier the next day.

Edited by davidlutz on 02/13/2011 23:55:30 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Comments/Suggestions on partial JMT trip plan on 02/13/2011 22:01:14 MST Print View

"One goal was to arrive roughly at the base of each successive pass at the end of the previous day so we can go over earlier the next day."

There's advantages and disadvantages to that goal. It tends to be chilly up on the high passes early in the day. That might be good or it might be bad depending on whether you are hot-blooded or cold-blooded.

If there is persistent ice or snow, crossing it when it is frozen could be good or bad. If you don't like sinking in, it is good. If it is frozen and icy slick, then it is bad.

If there is a crowd traveling around you, let them ascend the pass first and cut tracks.

Or, plan a descent for the afternoon when the snow has softened up.

--B.G.--

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
JMT Hike on 02/13/2011 22:16:18 MST Print View

David, It sounds like a great hike! It sounds like you have some great spots picked out for camping. What month are you looking at going? I ask for two reasons, 1- to see if I may run across you along the way, and 2- a couple of the meadows you had picked out for camping will be very 'buggy' in July and possibly early August. Colby Meadow can be awful in July. There are some nice campsites with view at Upper Palisades Lake, they tend to go pretty fast to the early arrivees though. There is a camp, in Upper LeConte Canyon that is superb! I think it is labeled as Starr Camp on some older maps. There are also some great campsites above the Center Basin Junction on the ridge before the big climb up Forester Pass, also great views. All-in-all, it sounds like you have a great trip ahead of you, enjoy!

Edited by rp3957 on 02/13/2011 22:16:53 MST.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Campsites on 02/13/2011 22:59:33 MST Print View

I'm a big fan of, camp halfway up the pass, do half in the morning, half before stopping, which is sometimes practical on the JMT, sometimes not so much.

Palisades Lakes (allowed?) - yes I think so

Center Peak - there is a nice flat spot on the trail just SW of center peak half way between where the trail briefly runs east-west

Guitar Lake - the little pond above guitar lake is a nice place to stop as an alternative, I'd at least scope it out.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Palasides on 02/14/2011 06:15:04 MST Print View

David, These is some great camping tucked up just to SW of lower Paliside Lake. You can see two red tents in this picture as well as dozens of other alternatives. I don't remember it being this obvious as we hiked south on the JMT.

Palisides

Lower Paliside Lake

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
JMT Trip Plan on 02/14/2011 08:40:19 MST Print View

Not to take away from the thread...

Greg - is that the view on the Sierra High route as you are climbing out of the Palisade Lakes up to Cirque Pass? It looks awful familiar, and it's been a few years, but that was a real pretty section of the SHR.

I return you now to the JMT thread...

Yes, there is plenty of camping at both lower and upper Palisades lake!

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: JMT Trip Plan on 02/14/2011 13:04:35 MST Print View

Robert, yes