Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Freeze-Dried Durian Fruit

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Freeze-Dried Durian Fruit on 02/13/2011 20:49:39 MST Print View

I know there are a couple of you guys who loooovvveeee Durian Fruit so I had to post that you can get it freeze-dried now ;-)
http://importfood.com/current021411.html

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Freeze-Dried Durian Fruit on 02/13/2011 22:28:10 MST Print View

DURIAN

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
durian stinks on 02/14/2011 10:13:50 MST Print View

Durian should be sold with nose plugs. Just saying.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Durian on 02/14/2011 10:41:13 MST Print View

Do you suppose that FD durian is odor-free until it is rehydrated? After that, maybe it could serve as a SUL bear deterent. At least it should keep other hikers from pitching their tents anywhere near yours.

I still think you are an imp for posting that, Sarah. Want to start another flame war, or what? An imp, for sure. But I think I'll buy some anyway...

JOHN ZENNER
(johnz)

Locale: East Bay
Nasty stuff on 02/14/2011 11:44:29 MST Print View

I spent two years living in West Africa, and traveled the world after. The nastiest stuff I ever ate by a long shot was Durian while in Bali about 10 years ago. Durian made me sicker than anything I can remember. Why people consider this a delacacy is beyond even my far ranging sense of appetite, which led me to consume a lot of strange stuff in my world travels. To each their own.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Nasty stuff on 02/14/2011 18:18:19 MST Print View

"The nastiest stuff I ever ate by a long shot was Durian while in Bali about 10 years ago. Durian made me sicker than anything I can remember."

You probably got a rotten one. They have a rather different sense of humor in that part of the world, especially when it comes to round eyes.

"Why people consider this a delacacy is beyond even my far ranging sense of appetite, which led me to consume a lot of strange stuff in my world travels."

It's an acquired taste for most, if they're ever going to like it. Me? It was love at first bite.

"To each their own." Always.

AND THANK YOU SARAH!!!!! A special Happy Valentines Day to you.

Edited by ouzel on 02/14/2011 18:20:10 MST.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Nasty stuff on 02/14/2011 18:43:40 MST Print View

I was thinking of ya, Tom! :-D

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Yum! on 02/14/2011 19:01:00 MST Print View

I'm with Tom on this one!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Nasty stuff on 02/14/2011 20:11:48 MST Print View

"I was thinking of ya, Tom! :-D"

Bless yer heart, young lady. You've made an old man's dreary winter day a little brighter. ;-))

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
YAAAAAK! on 02/20/2011 22:54:09 MST Print View

I was cured of EVER wanting to eat durian when I served in the Peace Corps in the Philippines. I was in a "bus", you know, the kind that has handmade wooden construction from the windshield back, with only thin plywood for "windows" to raise when it rains. The kind with wooden seats spaced close enough for double amputees. The kind with pigs and chickens inside. The kind that break down most often in the rain.

Well this day it was raining, constantly, and I was in the bus with the "windows" closed. As we lurched down the dirt road I began to smell this gagging stench emanating from the front of the bus. Upon discreet inquiry I discovered two old ladies up front were eating fresh durian. As we bounced our way southward the stench got very bad and finally other Filipinos could no longer stand it either and requested that they toss the remains out the winhdow, which, thankfully, they did.

Meanwhile I'm now soaked B/C I had to open my "window" to breathe. But better soaked with rain than my own vomit.

So now I can't even abide durian candy (yes, they make that stuff) :(~.

Edited by Danepacker on 02/20/2011 22:55:10 MST.

Scott Truong
(elf773)

Locale: Vancouver, BC
mmmm.. durian. The king of fruits. on 02/21/2011 00:23:18 MST Print View

The smell stops being problematic after the first time eating the fruit. That was my experience.

Now I Love the stuff, especially ice cold, durian milk shakes or blended with ice. I hate the tropics, but when I'm there, sweltering humidity and ice cold durian go hand in hand.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: YAAAAAK! on 02/21/2011 00:26:23 MST Print View

"I was in a "bus", you know, the kind that has handmade wooden construction from the windshield back, with only thin plywood for "windows" to raise when it rains."

That sounds like a Jeepney.

Hey, they weren't elegant, but they got us around, and they were cheap.

--B.G.--