Forum Index » Mountaineering & Alpinism » Breezy on Mt Rainer

Display Avatars Sort By:
ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Breezy on Mt Rainer on 02/13/2011 17:53:24 MST Print View

The people on cascadeclimbers.com have noticed that Camp Muir on Mt. Rainer is a bit breezy today: “Gusting to 152 but averaging 128 mph, incredible. And still going up.”
“A category 4 hurricane at about 14°F air temp. It is amazing the anemometer was able to keep up. Calculating windchill...”
155 MPH: “A high percentage of frame homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Extensive damage to roof covers, windows, and doors will occur. Large amounts of windborne debris will be lofted into the air. Windborne debris damage will occur to nearly all unprotected windows and many protected windows.”

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Breezy on Mt Rainer on 02/13/2011 19:59:19 MST Print View

Boy! That will keep the condensation out of your shelter.

--B.G.--

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Breezy on Mt Rainer on 02/13/2011 20:18:53 MST Print View

I've been outside in a cat 4 hurricane (Katrina) In Hattiesburg, MS. That stuff is no joke. We had to wait behind a building and let a crumpled mass of twisted gas station roof as big as a car pass so we could run to the next building. My friend was like, "Hold on a second" and the roof went sliding by at about a walking pace. Then he said "OK its clear!" We laughed like hell- then his hat flew off and the joke was over. (why would you wear a good hat in a hurricane?)

I couldn't imagine what snow feels like at that speed

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Breezy on Mt Rainer on 02/13/2011 20:19:59 MST Print View

"Boy! That will keep the condensation out of your shelter."

Uh, what shelter? ;)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Breezy on Mt Rainer on 02/13/2011 21:30:32 MST Print View

The Scots have a phrase for that kind of wind.

"It's a wee bit sharp today."

--B.G.--