Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
How do you actually hike/ spend your time hiking?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
How do you actually hike/ spend your time hiking? on 02/22/2011 12:23:20 MST Print View

I am a slow hiker. I do hike faster than this guy:

Slug at Triple Falls

but most other humans leave me far behind. That's why I hike solo with my dog. I like to be able to admire views, stop and smell or photograph the flowers, and in general enjoy my surroundings. Making high mileage doesn't interest me; I want to enjoy my surroundings!

Scott Ashdown
(waterloggedwellies) - F

Locale: United Kingdom
Look Wider - How do you Hike? on 02/25/2011 05:42:14 MST Print View

On Balance, whilst it is always nice to say you walked a route from place A to place B, for me it is the experience you have along the way that counts. Therefore the camping aspect is really important to me. Hiking just gets me out to the places I want to camp. Sitting on an evening in my tarp tent, watching the sun go down, watching nature. Perfect. I'm not interested in pushing out the miles each day. I probably walk two miles an hour and that is fast enough for me. I want to slow down, talk with people I meet, sit on a rock and view the surroundings and if I reach a place of interest, explore it. A few years ago, I walked coast to coast across the UK, following Hadrian's Wall and along its route managed to do a detour to a small wooded area where Baden Powell first took young boy Scouts camping for his "Look Wide" camp at Humshaugh (Not Brownsea Island as is often thought). You can see BPs inscription carved into the rock just beneath a stone cairn. It was a nice moment to reflect on 100 years of Scouting history. Had I been interested in purely the miles I would have missed the opportunity to take in something special. I think Baden Powell's words, which gave the camp its name, can really add something to the question posed in this thread.

"There are two ways of climbing a mountain. One man goes steadily upward, following the track that has been made by others or has been pointed out by the guide book; he keeps his eyes fixed on that track so that he may not miss it; his one determination is to be successful in getting to the top. The other climber is equally anxious to reach the top, but he looks wider. He looks ahead and higher and sees where the former track may now, owing to wash-outs, etc., be improved upon, and he varies his course accordingly. Occasionally he pauses to look around him and to realize the glorious view that is opening and unfolding itself at every step; thus he gains the spirit of exhilaration that lightens his task and gives him fresh encouragement to press on. Then, too, he looks back and realizes that the foot-hills through which he has laboured are mere mole-hills now, and he is in a position whence he can wave encouragement and direction to others, who are still struggling through the early part of their climb. Thus he pursues his way in cheery exaltation rather than with the stern laborious doggedness of the other climber.
So in our work - indeed, in any work of life - we should look forward, well forward, with high aims and hope; look around with joy and goodwill; look back with thankfulness at what has been accomplished and then press on with renewed vigour, with helpful initiative, and with broadened outlook, towards the highest goal, not forgetting to give a helping hand to others as we go. But when you look - look WIDE; and even when you think you are looking wide - LOOK WIDER STILL. "

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
Re: How do you actually hike/ spend your time hiking? on 03/08/2011 11:21:52 MST Print View

Eyes glued to the ground.