Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Spectra bug mesh?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Spectra bug mesh? on 02/12/2011 20:02:11 MST Print View

Question for all you fabric techies.....

Would a no-see-um mesh made out of spectra be practical, feasible, and/or beneficial in any way? Weight savings? Possible?

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Mesh on 02/12/2011 23:44:40 MST Print View

Hmmm....it seems like it would be lighter and stronger than current no-see-um netting. I'm not sure if it would stretch the same and it would certainly be more expensive, but this is a cool idea.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Spectra bug mesh? on 02/13/2011 01:00:01 MST Print View

How much material could be removed and still have enough left to stop the bugs? Probably not much. I suppose it could be useful for shoes, parts of pants and shirts, debris gaiters, bivy net hoods that have guyouts and pack mesh pockets.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Spectra bug mesh? on 02/16/2011 22:26:02 MST Print View

Bump? Any new thoughts?

Richard Calvert
(rhc124) - MLife
Interested in the subject as well on 02/11/2012 09:50:30 MST Print View

I have hoped someone would come up with sometype of spectra no-see-um for years. I don't know enough about the fabric specs to know if it is feasible and I'm sure it would be very expensive but way cool. I also would like to here from those more knowledgeable about the subject.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
It could work but... on 02/13/2012 21:48:48 MST Print View

Spectra is very hard to dye. Bug netting is made to be seen through, and black gives the least glare. So white bug netting wouldn't be the best to see through. It would work, yes, but function would be limited.

Steve