I only just started sewing for the first time about a month ago. Let me tell you the MYOG bug has bitten me hard. Very hard. I have a lot of fabric on order and I also started watching outdoor upholstery youtube videos... D'oh! Uh oh.:)
Making gear isn't too far of a stretch for me considering I've been DIYing all kinds of recording studio electronics, such as EQ's compressors and even discrete opamps, for years, as well as woodworking and general household projects.
Anyway, on to my machines:
My main machine is a Singer 301A that belonged to my Grandmother which she bought new in 1953. It was $229 in '53 which is about $2000 in today's money. Wow! She was a seamstress, however. Funny, I have seen the 301 in it's case for years sitting tucked away in my parents garage just waiting to be restored. I've found that I really enjoy taking them apart and cleaning them up.
Which brings me to my next machine. It's a 50's or 60's Universal Zig Zag that I found on Craigslist for cheap that needed some TLC and a few parts. I intended this to be my bartacker since my 301 is a straight stitch only machine. The universal is cast iron and weighs about 30 pounds. It runs ever so smooth. It also has a 1.5 Amp motor, by comparison, the 301 has a .53 Amp motor.
Next up is a 1975 Kenmore 6 Stich 158.12411 with free arm. It was $25 with case on CL and it's in mint condition. It just needed a little oil and that was it. It's got a 1.2 amp motor in it and sews very well. Not as good as the 301, but hey. This is now my main bartacker/zig zag machine.
This is my MYOG man cave which is temporarily setup in the tracking room of my recording studio (day job).
Here is the cutting table which also has some of my other maintenance projects for the weekend.