Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines on 02/12/2011 04:59:32 MST Print View

I've been using my wife's almost 35 year old Singer Stylist model # 538. The one in the picture isn't mine but it is a picture that I found online that is identical to mine.

Singer model # 538

It has gotten me through all of my MYOG projects that I've posted here on BPL. It is a home style machine that could use a stronger motor but aside from that it has served me well.

Let's see what the rest of us are using. :-)

Party On,

Newton

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE Sewing pics on 02/12/2011 14:03:36 MST Print View

John here's mine. I picked it up from a friend, she found it at a garage sale. It's a 1950's ? Singer 401a Slant-o-matic, she cleaned it up, and replaced a missing nob, picked it up for $70.00. I haven't used it much, still trying to figure it out, it has a lot of function's on it, but so far really nice.

Yeah baby

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: RE Sewing pics on 02/12/2011 14:18:36 MST Print View

That's a steal for a good 401A, they often go for $200 on ebay.

I'll post some pics of mine later. My main machine is a 500A, and I've got a couple of 301's I use also. Although I'll be replacing the 500 with a Juki DDL 8700 this month, and just picked up an industrial Juki 5-thread Serger.

For a do everything heavy duty home machine, the Singer 401A or 500A can't be beat, I suggest anybody looking for a serious MYOG machine to try and find one.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Sewing pics on 02/12/2011 14:23:23 MST Print View

Thanks Javan, I got lucky, I just called my frind one day, and said I'm looking for a sewing machine to do MYOG projects, and her reply was, I just picked this up, if you want it, it's your's. "SCORE" now I just need to learn how to use it.

Edited by jumpbackjack on 02/12/2011 14:24:46 MST.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: RE Sewing pics on 02/12/2011 14:27:37 MST Print View

neon and 500A

There's one of Neon and my 500A before I moved into my studio. ;) You can see a 301A down on the floor to the left.

Edited by jdempsey on 02/12/2011 14:28:08 MST.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: RE Sewing pics on 02/12/2011 15:41:39 MST Print View

Jack,

Do you have the manual for your machine?

There are printed copies available at Sewing Machine Manuals Dot Com for $25.00.

You can also download one at Backpage Dot Com. Just make sure you have plenty paper in the printer because it is 112 pages long. :-)

I would imagine you could just store it in a file on your computer but you may have to do a lot of scrolling to find what you need. You may want to move your sewing machine to your computer room. ;-)

Hope this helps.

Party On,

Newton

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Locale: Texas
Re: Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines on 02/12/2011 17:30:15 MST Print View

For silnylon and lightweight rip-stop I use an old Necchi BU machine from the 50's. I don't have a pic of it though.

To sew anything heavier such as XPAC, Cordura, and upholstery fabrics, I use my Jki 241H walking foot machine seen here:

. ..
(dgowler)
Is older better? on 02/12/2011 17:44:03 MST Print View

It looks like you guys are mostly using some pretty vintage machines here. Are the old fully metal machines a better choice? Ive had an eye out for a good deal on a sewing machine to make a few small projects, but I declined an old singer machine from my grandmother. Its from the 60s and built like a tank, should I reconsider this freebie?

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Re: Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines on 02/12/2011 17:44:04 MST Print View

Just getting into sewing after a hiatus.

I'm using my mom's fancy Janome Memory Craft 6500. It's nice!

adsf

BPL open on the computer. Windstopper fleece, mesh and a mystery nylon on the left.

Edited by Found on 02/12/2011 17:44:40 MST.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Is older better? on 02/12/2011 17:51:07 MST Print View

Devon,

In a word, YES! :-)

Party On,

Newton

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Sewing pics on 02/12/2011 17:55:02 MST Print View

John, Yeah I got one on ebay for $7.00 I figured I better have one just to start the thing, HA! HA! I do like the fact that my machine is all metal and no belts, all gear drive, just clean, lube, and go. I do need to invest in a nice big table though, that's my next purchase, then some silnylon, and so on, the never ending light weight gear endeavor, ya gota love it.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines on 02/12/2011 17:56:47 MST Print View

I have many 'sewing machines.' Here are three of them:

.ron

and another:

.lawson

and yet another:

.tim

I do, however, hope to have one that looks much more like y'all's someday!

Edited by idester on 02/12/2011 17:57:21 MST.

Jerry Wick
(JerryW) - F

Locale: Illinois
Thread Injector on 02/12/2011 18:11:59 MST Print View

My thread injector is a late '50's Singer Style-O-Matic 328K. It's all metal construction, no plastic anywhere. It's sewn everything from light Momentum fabric and no-see-um up to multiple layers of leather and canvas.
Singer 328K

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Sewing machine on 02/12/2011 18:23:14 MST Print View

I am relieved that people here still call it by its pefectly respectable name.....sewing machine. It even has the word "machine" in it.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/12/2011 18:27:59 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Sewing machine on 02/12/2011 18:40:10 MST Print View

I am relieved that people here still call it by its pefectly respectable name.....sewing machine. It even has the word "machine" in it.

A big +1

Jerry Wick
(JerryW) - F

Locale: Illinois
What's in a name? on 02/12/2011 20:56:13 MST Print View

KP - "I am relieved that people here still call it by its pefectly respectable name.....sewing machine. It even has the word "machine" in it."

Seems I ruffled some feathers. No matter what you call it, it's all in the name of fun. Bottom line - that's what all of this is about anyway. :)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
yes on 02/13/2011 08:52:39 MST Print View

"No matter what you call it, it's all in the name of fun. Bottom line - that's what all of this is about anyway. :)"

Agreed.

JJ Mathes
(JMathes) - F

Locale: Southeast US
Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines on 02/13/2011 08:57:26 MST Print View

LOL...Douglas wins!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines on 02/13/2011 09:41:05 MST Print View

new

My $25 like new New Home free arm machine.

nec1

My first Necchi BU. It is a real workhorse. 1954 all metal. Ooh and look at the manly chrome.

nec2

Liked the first one so much I bought a second. This one is set up to sew with heavy duty thread.

sewroom

All of them live in the sewing room. Nice and roomy with plenty of light. Thanks to my wife for letting go of the living room we never use.

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Locale: Texas
Re: Re: Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines on 02/13/2011 12:13:44 MST Print View

Ken, I have the same machine! I inherited it from my grandmother who bought it new in 1956. I used it to sew multiple layers of 1000d Cordura until acquiring an industrial machine. The chrome and black enamel is nice, and it runs very smoothly.